“Very overpriced for very basic room”
Review of Ghan House

and 1 more site!
Ghan House
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed in the main house in a very small shabby room. Nights stay and dinner very very poor.Not worth the money they charged. The pace could do with a complete overhall the grounds and gardens are very over grown. We were celberating a bithday and it was not enjoyable place to stay our misstake to have picked this place to stay never again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bernadette G
Paul C, Owner at Ghan House, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Just totally refurbished your bedroom and bathroom making it the best room we have – it is through helpful comments like yours that we continue to improve – yours is the last room we have updated. Now we’ll start on the 1st we worked on 6 years ago! I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your dinner. We strive to make each & every dinner the best one we served that night.
We have won ‘Best hotel & Country House Restaurant’ in County Louth by The Restaurant Association of Ireland – 3 years running and have been nominated for an unprecedented 4th year – through Irish Independent Readers and a judging panel, basing their experiences on more than one visit over many years. If you wish to come back – I’m sure you’ll see why we have won those awards, along with retaining our 2 AA Rosettes.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was told I was getting a room in the house, but when I arrived was put in the annexe, which as another reviewer said, was a 2-star dump. Furthermore, rather than the twin room I booked, I was given a room with a double bed and a very uncomfortable, child's bed crammed into a small, dingy, dirty room. If you want a twin room I'd advise going elsewhere. It was noisy due to the poor sound insulation of the annexe.

The staff weren't at all interested in my complaints, only reacting with sarcasm.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank maccrann a
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at Ghan House and we really enjoyed both visits. The house is cosy with a lovely location with really pretty views. The perfect place if you want to get away and spend a quiet evening with your partner.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked a romantic get away for myself and partner over her birthday at the end of October. When booking I told staff it was a special occasion so we were put in the biggest room with views of the lough. The room was spacious and as expected with an old country house, decorated in period fashion with a four poster bed. This was the only let down of the whole stay, the bed was not the most comfortable, nor were the pillows, and I struggled to have a fully restful night. The rest of the room was great, huge cast iron bath, and lovely roomy power shower. It had also just been fitted with a new tv with all the digital channels which was a great addition, as well as the hifi with iPod and iPhone connection.

The rest of our stay was perfect, a very good breakfast greeted us in the mornings, home made preserves a good cooked breakfast, and farm fresh boiled eggs! We ate in the restaurant on one night, and it was fantastic, excellent vegetarian option also, which we find very hard to find in a lot of hotels. The food is easily rosette worthy, and hopefully when we return it remains just as good.

And that is the lasting feeling we have from our stay? Would we return? We're already to! Would we recommend to a friend? We already have!

If you're looking for somewhere relaxed, with helpful, friendly staff, and don't mind the odd draft or creaky door then this is your place!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was recently booked into Ghan house by a local company and naturally had a look at the website which I found very attractive. I had previously stayed at a modern (excellent) B&B in Carlingford and was keen to try something more 'atmospheric'.

I was very much disappointed by the reality of the place. I found myself in a little box room about 2 metres wide, wiith the head of the bed against the window. No desk or TV ( I lie; there was a half-table nestling against the bottom of the bed which could be opened to produce the desired effect) and no visible heating - although the room was warm enough for November.
The house on arrival was indeed very atmospheric but the quality of the reception was rubbish, consisting of more or less; 'Here's your key!'

I enquired about having dinner and was offered a 6.30 pm slot. A few minutes later, I was asked if I could do 8.30 instead? I declined and had an excellent meal in the village.

Breakfast, I was informed, was from 0830am which was of no use as I had to be on the road at 8am.

If you like old, traditional, shabby houses, are in holiday mood and not too pushed about the quality of the service then this is the place for you! Enjoy!

Room Tip: Avoid the single 'box room' (Room 1)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Gerdyberdy
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We spent a week-end in Ghan House recently and weren't sure what to expect. We have been to Carlingford many times over the years' but never to Ghan House. When I read the reviews I was expecting the food to be outstanding....this would have been my priority and accommodation a secondary thing. We tried to get rooms in the main house but they were fully booked so we were put into the newly built annex. This building however, is unsure what it should be i.e. old world or modern - it is neither but a bit of both and it doesn't work. The beds are standard double beds and are quite small....the shower in our room was good but the toilet didn't flush very well. So we were disappointed with the rooms but hey we were there for the food. Breakfast was also a bit disappointing....I was expecting a bit more from it being a "cookery school" the toast was regular sliced pan....the full breakfast was good but they could be a bit more generous with their portions. We had dinner on one night...the atmosphere in the dining room was very good, the food was good but nothing more and for the price, we were as I said before a bit disappointed. I think Ghan House is trading on it's past...I for one will not be returning and would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank GreeceQBee
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We had our wedding reception in Ghan House on the 17th August 2012, and it was absolutely fantastic! From the time we originally viewed the venue up until the actual day of the wedding, Paul and the staff could not have been more helpful or accommodating. We had around 55 guests to the whole day with another 25-30 in the evening, and almost all of our guests commented on how great the venue and food was.
For anybody looking for a relaxed and intimate wedding venue, we could not rate Ghan House Highly enough.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlingford
Four Seasons Hotel
#2 of 13 in Carlingford
The Mourne Lodge
The Mourne Lodge
#1 of 7 in Kilkeel

Been to Ghan House? Share your experiences!