“Terrible food,not fine dining!!!”
Review of Ghan House

and 1 more site!
Ghan House
chelmsford, essex,uk
“Terrible food,not fine dining!!!”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We had heard a lot of good things about Ghan House,so decided to book it for my Mums birthday. On ringing the restaurant to book a table ,the man was extremely rude on the phone to me (he wasn't Irish),but I went ahead with the booking. On arrival to the restaurant the grounds and house itself were very nice. The food on the other hand was a huge disappointment to us. It was cold,tastless and overall terrible. We were so disappointment as this was for my mums special birthday. The waiter we had was rude and in no way friendly. This is one place I will not be going back to,and will warn people of how awful the food and service was.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank walker_9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We found ghan house when searching for wedding venues in ireland Paul was great at helping us to plan our big day & our guests from Ireland & further afield were completely bowled over by the ambience & delicious food. Paul & his team made us feel so special and the service was outstanding it was everything we had hoped for and more - Mr & Mrs Burke

• Stayed August 2012
Dublin
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Was at Ghan House overnight at the weekend for my brother's wedding. They wanted a simple, no fuss, cosy wedding and that's exactly what we got. Paul is a great host and most of the staff were friendly and accommodating. The food was excellent... Am still dreaming about the chocolate brownie. The house is old and well decorated, don't go expecting modernity, the bar is a gem. Will definitely go back for dinner again soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Very poor service. Food very bad and staff IGNORANT. Was surprised at how bad this venue was and the treatment we received.
The main course was very badly presented and the service took for ever. Certainly not a place I would return to at any money.

• Stayed July 2012
6 Thank BB161
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Just spent two nights in Carlingford where Ghan House proved the perfect respite from the (very persistent) rain! The planned hikes in the Carlingford surrounds were replaced with relaxing in the main house with tea & biscuits, wine & cheese, chess and comfy cushions. We were also well impressed with the six course tasting menu served in the fabulous top floor dining room with a great wine list to complement. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Reserve the room in the main house with the huge roll-top bath!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BaggotStWines
Belfast, Ireland
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the the Annex (Room 9) on 12th July.As the parents of 3 young children we dont get to spend a night away from them too often so were looking forward to our stay. To say we were disappointed is an understatement. The room we were allocated was very dated and has not been refurbished in a long time and had a TV which was least 15 years old with a remote control that didnt work. Most disappointing of all was the room view (non existent) which looked out over what seemed like a back yard of a house with a small garvel area and untidy piece of green area.
Despite being disappointed with the room we kept our counsel and looked forward to the meal.I should say the starters and desserts were both excellent but both mains were very poor. My wife ordered the steak and I the belly of pork. Both dishes were served to us cold and we sent them back to be redone. When they were re-presented to us it was obvious that they had been either reheated in an oven or a microwave, as they poached egg which was originally nice and soft and placed on the top of my pork was now rock hard and they steak was now well done when originally it was meant to be medium.In addition the service was very poor and the waiter extremely dour, although in fairnesss to him he was on his own and must have been waiting on at least 20/25 people in the dining room.
The next morning in the breakfast room my wife and I sat down for breakfast and lifted 2 menus to see what was on offer.The elderly lady who was waiting in the room approached us for what we assumed was to take our order but instead she took the 2 menus off us which were reading at the time and gave them to another couple and off she went for 10 minutes. This was extremely rude but to tell you the truth I don't even think she thought what she did was rude as again she was on her own and the service was very slow. Apart from that the breakfast was nice.
When I was ckecking out the receptionist asked me if every thing was ok.I said that "to tell you the truth it wasn't great" and explained about the poor meal. She apologised but did not give any discount on the €208 bill for 1 night and said that she would speak to the owner. Three weeks later we still have not heard a word from the owner. It must be a case that if they have already been paid it doesn't matter about possible return business. Needless to say we would be very reluctant about ever going back which is a pity beacuse if is only 20 minutes from my wife's parents house in South Armagh and was an ideal location for a quick overnight break away from the kids.

Declan Steele

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Declan S
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed here as my brothers wedding was here over a weekend last year. Food was average at best. Breakfast was half cooked. Bar staff were so rude I couldn't believe it. Unbelievably bad service for the fortune my brother spent I couldn't place the barmans european accent, but he was witnessed several times taking money from a young boy for cola and never giving him his change back. The boy was down over €50 for a few soft drinks by the end of the night. Definately not a people person as our very presence seemed to irritate the staff. The rude barman also walked into the main hall where the newly married couple were dancing and without warning plugged out the music. His unnecessary behavior upset many people throughout the night. How someone did not pull him aside and have a few stern words with him, I'll never know-as I was tempted to do it myself. I stayed in the main house, not the side house. My room was shabby and needed a good clean, the smallest room I've ever stayed in, walls were paper thin, overall I would rate it 2 stars at best and that's being generous!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
10 Thank Siobhan R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlingford
Four Seasons Hotel
#4 of 13 in Carlingford
MourneView Bed & Breakfast
MourneView Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 13 in Carlingford

Been to Ghan House? Share your experiences!