Avoid this place at all costs. There has to be better! The bad points were:
- problems booking. Sent them a cheque for full payment in advance. Received a call about 3 weeks later to say that our booking was being cancelled because we hadnt paid (even though they had cashed our cheque!) This was the result of confusion on hotel's part (dont ask me how that arose) but was cleared up via phone. Warning bells flashing though!
- the room we were checked into on arrival hadnt been touched since the last "residents" checked out. Had to wait in the bar while they cleaned it for us.
- no hot water at night. Called reception to ask for hot water but they said the person who sorts the boiler had gone home and so they couldnt do anything about it!
- very very rude waitress. I've never seen anything like it before and hopefully never will again. At dinner, service from this person was abrupt and rude. We were told to hurry up with our orders as they closed the restaurant at XXXpm and she had to get home! But the next morning at breakfast was like a scene out of fawlty towers.
Aggressively hollering over tables "what did you order" and practically throwing the breakfast at them. People were actually afraid to ask for anything or say they'd been given the wrong plate as she was so rude.
- Room was clean (when we asked for it to be sorted), albeit basic. but for the number of stars it has it was fine.
- the bar is fine. Bit too many hen parties but I guess that's where they get a lot of their custom.
And finally, vastly overpriced. Although the rooms themselves are ok, the service is terrible. Mediocre food, no hot water, rude staff. Would avoid this place at all costs next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- McKevitt's Village Hotel is a family run hotel that lies in the heart of Carlingford. We offer 14 ensuite bedrooms with a warm traditional decorative theme. Each room contains tea and coffee making facilities, television, iron and hairdryer. Wireless broadband is available to all guests throughout the hotel. Guests can avail of family, twin, double, single or triple rooms. We are also proud to offer superb dining in Schooners Restaurant where you can sample the culinary delights of our locally sourced ingredients. The restaurant is a member of the Good Food Circle which aims to promote Carlingford Restaurants through the use of indigenous produce. Also available is our extensive Bar Snack Menu where you can be tempted by such favourites as our unrivalled Seafood Chowder, Carlingford Mussels and Oysters. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Mc Kevitt's Village Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mckevitts Village Hotel Carlingford