“enjoyed our stay here”

Ranked #5 of 13 Carlingford B&B and Inns
Dundalk, Ireland
“enjoyed our stay here”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

we stayed at the hotel last weekend and totally enjoyed our stay,
the staff were very friendly, the rooms were clean and had everything
you needed.the food was very good, and i would have no problem recomending this hotel
to my friends,looking forward to going back for my next short break

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have never written a review for tripadvisor before, but for sheer disbelief & a bit of embarresment really, I decided I would.

Stayed here with my husband, just over night as we were attending something in the Village. Cute place from the outside but had seen plenty of photos of this on net. Very central but eveything is there, village is tiny.

We we're pleasantly welcomed by staff very friendly. Went to our room which was a grand size but freezing!! Heating not on.... And window open!! And not as clean as I would have expected for price!

Mattress a bit lumpy!! Linen nicely presented very colour co-ordinated.

We missed breakfast which is our own fault, as we did not wake-up on time, so decided to make myself a cup of tea. Always a nice touch in Irish accomadation. But to my horror when went to open kettle it was scummy. Not difficult to clean.....

I then decided to have a shower and there was no hot water....tried leaving it running, all the old tricks but hot water did not appear!! So unfortunate as I am a shower everyday girl!! Especially if I'm paying for it!!

Overall and though a short stay. I would definately not return here nor reccomend too friends or family. Their tariffs do not reflect the accomadation at all.

• Stayed October 2012
6 Thank Perfume22
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have learned my lesson now for sure check out your web site before ending up with a night in a hotel this poorly run. On arriving the owners son was more than happy to relieve my group of 240 euro for are 2 rooms for 1 night ROOMS if that is what you would call them little pokey holes that smell a shower that would freeze you that is after waiting 5 minutes for it to become luke warm.
We had a nice meal in the bar can not say anything bad about that. It was 3 in the morning when we were back in the bar & I asked the owner himself if it would be possible to get a sandwich & he flew into a rage I believe from 1 of his own staff members that he was white with rage in the kitchen & wanted security so if you dare to stay dont get the munchies late at night any hotel I have stayed in provide food 24hr this is closer to a hostel Very professional...great business man.. I don't think so. Carlingford is a beautiful little village but this hotel would give it a bad name. Staff in the Carlingford Arms a lot better. .

Room Tip: Find another hotel no good rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Paddy521
mckevittshotel, Owner at Mc Kevitt's Village Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
After a night socialising this person arrived back to our Residents bar after 2am.
He became verbally abusive to a female member of staff and when checked he demanded the kitchen be opened.
When this was not complied with his dark mood deepened, so much so hotel security was called.
Donaghadee, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at McKevitts Village Inn from the 6th to the 9th of August 2012 and to be honest we really enjoyed our stay, the staff were friendly, the rooms were clean and tidy and very reasonably priced, we would have no hesitation recommending this to our family and friends. McKevitts is right in the centre of Carlingford so you haven't far to go to explore what's around you. We hope to visit again soon.

P.S. The Guinness is great : )

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul F
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed over a weekend (Friday and Saturday night) with friends.
Rooms were very comfotable and very clean.
The welcome and general service was excellent.
There was a great choice for breakfast, all freshly cooked to order. Breakfast was served between 8am and 10am. I notice that an earlier reviewer had said that breakfast was only served from 9.00am - it looks like the hotel may have changed the breakfast times since that review or maybe the times are different at weekend.
It is worth booking a table for dinner on a Saturday night as the hotel and indeed, the whole of Carlingford gets very very busy.

Room Tip: Rooms 20, 21, 22 etc. are towards the back of the hotel so are quieter. Some of the other rooms that...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Keith R
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stay in hotels weekly on business and recently l came across this little gem in the heart of Carlingford.The hotel itself in close to everything. You can walk to every other outlet in the village and if one likes a good long walk you can go along the sea or up the mountain roads. The rooms are clean nothing fancy with great shower unit. The food in the bar and its restaurant is as good as l have had anywhere l have been and the staff are super. They are on the ball, courteous and friendly at all times and in turn give the place that real homely feel to it. If it has a fault it needs to serve breakfast from 8am for some people, however this is far outweighed by everything it has going for it. Well worth a visit. JBG

Room Tip: Room no 7 is a small double room with brilliant shower unit
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Monaghan
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed in McKevitt's last night. The room was nice, a bit small but very clean and had a great shower. Unfortunately, although I paid for breakfast, when I went to look for the dining room at 8.00am, the whole place, apart from the bedrooms, was locked up.

Nobody answered the phone at reception, nobody answered the main telephone line and nobody answered the door. I therefore got no breakfast in the hotel, nor was there anywhere else in Carlingford to eat at that time of the morning.

I rang the hotel at 10am to say I wasn't one bit impressed. The owner didn't apologise but asked who had dealt with me and said the girl in question was standing beside him. He said that she had told me that breakfast was between 9 and 10. This was not the case. The girl did not say what time breakfast was served - I would have noticed as I had to be back home for work and wanted to have breakfast at 8.00am, hardly an unusual time for the first meal of the day.

I was not offered a refund of the cost of breakfast although I asked for one. I wish I had stayed somewhere else. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank is_fada_an_bothar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlingford
Four Seasons Hotel
#1 of 3 in Warrenpoint
Ramada Resort Dundalk
Ramada Resort Dundalk
#5 of 8 in Dundalk

Been to Mc Kevitt's Village Hotel? Share your experiences!