“Sublime food in a relaxed and fun atmosphere, what more could you want?”
Review of The Oystercatcher Bistro - CLOSED

The Oystercatcher Bistro
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Classical Bistro style, chef and wife team, unpretentious, mediterrean atmosphere, with quality fish game and meats products sourced locally, The Oystercatcher also offers its version of "Street Food" each Sunday afternoon, with local oysters, dressed crab, Carlingford smoked salmon and chowders
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I've been here twice in the last fortnight, once for a family birthday with our 4 grown-up children and once with friends. The younger people were very happy not to have to dress up, yet you can go dressed up if you like. We were uniformly delighted with everything; My daughters loved the bacon and cabbage, though they seldom go for pork. The prawn starter is delicious, not so spicy that it masks the taste of the prawns and the chorizo is a clever addition. The Bellingham mushrooms are very good indeed, it is a great combination, the creamy sauce is very tasty, I shall try to make them at home. The Cataplana I will not try at home though, it is best left to Harry, a splendid dish, pronounced the best food he had had in 27 years of visiting Ireland by one of our party. I went for the lobster on my last visit, very cleverly prepared requiring no toolbox to eat, sublime. The generously-sized steak was also excellent. Even though we were the last to leave the restaurant by a long shot we were not rushed and got to sip our after-dinner digestifs without feeling we were delaying anybody. The pannacotta was light and delicious, so was the cheesecake. The wine list was well chosen to match the menu. There was a lovely atmosphere on both occasions and Harry and Marion came out for a chat and explained some recipes to one of my youngsters who wanted to copy the cous cous. I hope to get back asap!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

After a walk, we decided to eat here, although our three children were less sure. We convinced them to skip the usual children's menu in the local pub and try the amazing food. The menu looked wonderful and it tasted even better. My tagine was interesting and delicious and I've never seen my children enjoy a meal more. They shared a huge Ham hock between them, with mash. Our older boy had ribs which he loved. We are converted and will certainly be back.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I turned up on a wet miserable day, dressed in motorcycle clothes, and was met with a warm welcome.
I started with a mix of oysters, hot gratinated and raw... and although Pacific Rock (natives died out in these parts many years ago) they were delicious.

Next I had bacon, cabbage and potato, the trinity of Irish cuisine... only this version was special, marinated ham hock and creamy mash. The cabbage was good too.

Service was fine and the owner/chef showed himself to be an excellent front of house host too.

Value was really good.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Nice and fresh food. But a bit overpriced. Tables are too tight to each other. Great restaurant atmosphere.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I visited the Oystercatcher on our last night in Carlingford. We didn't have a reservation but from the minute we stepped through the door we felt welcome. Apart from the excellent food and superb wine (top marks for NOT having an endless wine menu) it was the service and attention we got from the owners which made this a truly special evening. They are obviously passionate about what they do and they do it wonderfully well. My husband had the Cataplana which he's still talking about and I had the 'BBC' ham hock and cabbage (and which I managed to finish, which I think impressed the owners). The bottle of Sauvignon Blanc Touraine was very, very good. PS I think we were so overwhelmed by the evening my husband mistakenly tried to tip twice! (this was graciously declined).