“My favourite restaurant anywhere”
Review of The Oystercatcher Bistro - CLOSED

The Oystercatcher Bistro
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Classical Bistro style, chef and wife team, unpretentious, mediterrean atmosphere, with quality fish game and meats products sourced locally, The Oystercatcher also offers its version of "Street Food" each Sunday afternoon, with local oysters, dressed crab, Carlingford smoked salmon and chowders
Dublin, Ireland
“My favourite restaurant anywhere”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I adore this spot. It is my third visit since Harry and Marion Jordan took over this restaurant. I have gone there with my husband, , my relatives, my 17-year old son, another couple, a neighbour , my old school friends having climbed Sliebh Donard in the Mournes earlier that day when we were good and hungry and everybody has been charmed with it. I used to go to their former restaurant on the main street donkey's years ago when we wanted a very special treat but the prices in the new restaurant make it possible to go more often, it is good value as the quality of the food is superb and each dish has something special. The prawns starter is delicious, the accompanying oil is so tasty. I had the monkfish cajun style this weekend, I have gone to Louisiana for the cajun food but this was very special. One of our friends had the ribs which are legendary and my son still talks about the ribs he got there last summer. Even the small portion is generous. The Cataplana is a signature dish in this restaurant and is something to write home about, a type of fish stew with a crab-and-lobster type base. We were all delighted with our meals; one had the haddock, one the steak and the baileys cheesecake dessert was excellent. The service is warm and so very friendly, we were looking out at snow flurries on Saturday night but the atmosphere in the restaurant was so cosy and snug. Our visitors who were there for the first time said they would not hesitate to drive there specially from Dublin as it is so exceptional. I am looking forward to getting back there at the first opportunity, to taste the gypsy stew. I hesitate to put up a review because I always want to be able to get a table there, but people should know how great it is.

• Visited February 2012

london
“OUTSTANDING - in every aspect!!!”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I visited Carlingford with my fiancee and future inlaws from London in Jan12 and it was my responsibility to plan our weekend. A bit of a daunting task turned into a massive triumph when we visited the Oystercatcher Bistro!!! After entering the restaurant we were greeted by the new owners Marian and Harry (chef and hostess). Within minutes, I felt like they were old friends...we were looked after like royalty on the night by the husband and wife team...Harry even came out from behind his stove to make sure we were all happy and told us a few hilarious tales about the local neighbourhood...The meal was mouth watering...My main concern was that my in-laws enjoyed their meal. After every mouthful they were thanking me for taking them there! I honestly hadn't even researched restaurants in the area before our visit and just asked for local recommendations in the local pub PJ O'Hares when we had arrived the evening before. Everything was superb...we will be back after the wedding!

• Visited January 2012
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I loved everything about this place. Very friendly staff - chefs came out to make sure our food was ok Had early bird menu- crab starter, Pork ribs done in coca cola, and pears in red wine. Nice to see them so busy on a Monday evening.

• Visited September 2011
Dublin, Ireland
“great food, pity about the wine”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I had a lovely meal at The Oystercatcher restaurant recently with a friend. The food was very tasty, the ribs To Die For (but then again, I absolutely love ribs,as they are quite a novelty on Irish restaurant menus).

Unfortunately, the wine list is very small, and not very well chosen. Our glasses of white which we ordered as an Aperitif were not properly chilled. There is not one decent red wine on the list. I know they class themselves as a "neighbourhood bistro", but that does not mean that there has to be such a poor selection of wine

• Visited July 2011
Uppsala, Sweden
“Yummy Cataplana!”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We were curious to try out a new restaurant (new for us) in Carlingford, on our second three day visit. The choice fell on the Oystercatcher based on the reviews here on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. As a matter of fact we were pleasantly surprised. To start with I thought the service was a bit nonchalant, and the tables and overall impression were that the restaurant was a bit simple. Then we were given food, and it was great and tasteful! We had a nice bottle of white wine the Cataplana, which was delicious. I'm gonna google for the recipe. The service was very nice too. Nice toilets as well! And yes, not to forget, the restaurant has a very decent price level.

• Visited August 2011