“best value for ages”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Longford
Ireland
“best value for ages”
Reviewed June 6, 2010

what struck me most about this hotel was an apparently chlorine-free swimming pool. I am a passionate swimmer but hate chlorine... not many pools to choose from for me. Also, prices were very competitive (April 2010).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
belfast
Reviewed June 1, 2010

This hotel has obviously been refurbished very recently to a very hight standard. With a recent addition of leisure facilities. The breakfast was excellent with great choice of hot and cold, also it was served until 11.30 which really suits those of us who are not early risers. There was a problem with the water while we were there, causing the toilet, shower, hand basin etc to produce a horrible brown rusty looking water. Although the hotel said it was due to work being done on the mains and not their fault, I think they could have offered a complimentry bottle of water to any guest who requested it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank edelweiss62
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Recently stayed in the much improved Longford Arms Hotel. Food was great and availed of the guests complimentary use of the leisure center. Later having had a few drinks in the bar I decided to try one of the hotel's 2 niteclubs for an hour before retiring for the night. To my surprise the place was buzzing, fab atmosphere and the best value drink I've ever had, €2 a drink. Danced the night away, a must visit party venue.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank dublinguy69
Kilkenny
Reviewed January 13, 2010

This hotel is old school and comfortable on a basic level.The floor boards creak, which is kind of nice in a funny way, the rooms are all odd and quirky and the hotel is dead centre on high st which is handy.
I suppose in a few words you get what you pay for and if you are not looking for anything too fancy this place meets the bill. Oddly my room (en suite) had only one radiator and that was in the bathroom, so as temps dropped to snow storm outside I relied on that heat filtering out to the bedroom, which to be fair it just about did! Reception could be a bit friendlier and once you understand the breakfast girls Eastern European accent you get a decent fill of food, same goes for evening meal. All in all this place is ok

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank pompeypaulo
dublin
Reviewed December 2, 2009

I have never had such a bad experience staying in a hotel and staff are in bad need of customer service training. Dingy rooms with no heat and kept awake most of night with loud music.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank clara71

Travelers are raving about these Longford hotels

Cork
Reviewed October 30, 2009

This hotel is fine if you have too stay in Longford town. It's ok and the hotel looks as if they are slowly doing up the rooms. The carpets do need to be replaced because they smell of fags - Very badly!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank CorkSudee
east kilbride
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I stayed at the Longford arms 2008 and wasn,t impressed by the room, it smelled strongly of stale cigarette smoke.When I complained they sent someone up and sprayed the room with air freshener,but wouldn,t let me change rooms. I decided never to stay there again.I go to Longford every year for the marathon,I left it late this year when booking a room and ended up in the Longford arms sister hotel the Annaly.The room itself was fine but when I went down for breakfast at 8 am I couldn,t see anyone about.When I eventually did find some one I was told I could have some cereal but if I wanted a cooked breakfast I would have to come at 9 o,clock.The breakfast itself was lovely and freshly cooked.The next two mornings however I was informed there would be no cooked breakfast and I would have to go to the Longford arms if I wanted one.The food in the Longford arms was buffet style, none of it hot, some of it lukewarm and some of it cold.
The best was yet to come.If you stay at the Annaly you get use of the Longford arms car park.When I was leaving I was charged 2 euros for the use of the car park,when I pointed out I was a guest I was told that I was lucky because if I hadn,t been they would have charged me 10 euros.
I know it,s not a lot of money but it left a sour taste in my mouth and it tells you all you need to know about this so called friendly family owned hotel.They,re going to squeeze you for every penny they can.
I for one won,t be back. I was going to ask the tourist board for comment but it would appear from reading other posts not too interested either.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank jimhek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longford
Viewmount House
Carrick Plaza Suites
Carrick Plaza Suites
#4 of 9 in Carrick-on-Shannon
Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club

Been to Longford Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!