“Will visit again”
Review of Viewmount House

Viewmount House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Longford
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I was working in the area and was struggling to find somewhere to stay until I noticed Viewmount House on Google Maps. It looked expensive from their site (€110 per night I think) but when I rang I was only charged something like €60 per night, and for this price it really was a fantastic place. I had a huge room which was very clean, comfortable and quiet. The gardens out the back are great to look out on and there was free broadband throughout the building. I didn't eat in the restaurant as it was closed but given how nice breakfast was I can understand all the good reviews of their food.

So all-in-all it's a really nice place that I would absolutely stay in again if in the area, just make sure you phone to book as it seems to be much cheaper than the website!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Viewmount House

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed in June 2013 in the family suite with 2 teenage children. The room was so comfortable, the hospitality exceptional and the restaurant was the best value for money, quality feed I have ever experienced. The purpose of our visit was a family wedding with a family dinner organised the night before the wedding. The whole stay was exceptional and a visit to Longford just for the dinner is not over the top. The spa bath fits my 6'4' son in comfort and the breakfast the next day was included in the very reasonable tarriff unbelievably. The gardens are also beautiful. We will return here on future visits to Ireland

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dave D
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at Viewmount House years ago before the restaurant opened and we loved our stay and wanted to return and try the restaurant, too. This was near the end of our 2-week self-drive around Ireland and it's a great stopping point when driving from Donegal or Galway back to Dublin. The house and gardens are even more beautiful than before; the restaurant is excellent; and they've opened up an additional guest lounge in the historic former kitchen room. Our Packenham Suite was quite deluxe: comfortable bedroom, large bathroom, and a beautiful and spacious sitting room, with Waterford crystal drinking glasses. Our friends' rooms were also very elegantly decorated and comfortable. The gardens are more beautiful and expansive than ever and so tranquil to walk through or just sit and relax in. The VM restaurant is beautifully decorated with attractive views of the house and grounds. The food was wonderfully prepared and presented and was one of the highlight meals of our trip. The menu is fixed price but we were also able to order a la carte for the smaller appetites. Desserts are delicious and very imaginative -- I enjoyed the "PBJ." We lingered long after most other diners had left, not wanting the dinner to end. Service was very pleasant and attentive. We can certainly see how VM Restaurant would be beautiful for weddings and other special occasions.

James and Beryl are very hospitable hosts. Our room was in the original house, they have added some ground floor rooms but this is not a detached annex like so many other places with modern additions: the new wing of guest rooms opens right to the guest lounge and the restaurant, so all the new rooms feel a part of the main house, too. Breakfast is one of the best in Ireland, including delicious pancakes/crepes.

If you are passing anywhere near Longford we highly recommend VM Restaurant and staying over night; it is gracious living at it's best, and reasonably priced for the value.

Room Tip: It may cost a little more but the Packenham Suite is very large and comfortable and worth a splurge...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Had a lovely three nights here in May 2013. Was in Longford on business and this was a wonderful place to come back to in the evenings. The restaurant was not open on the nights I stayed but the breakfasts were great and the room huge. The only thing I would have liked that I didn't get was tea and coffee making facilities in the room. Can't recommend it enough!

Room Tip: I had a larger room on 2 floors because they were quite quiet that week and it was lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night initially before meeting up with family. We had such a great time that we decided to go back and stay for another 3 nights. Fantastic place to stay, with comfortable beds, super shower and bathroom, wonderful hosts, best breakfast in Ireland, and a wonderful associated restaurant. I can't rate this highly enough!

We chose to stay in a suite which had a lovely view over the garden, and a mezzanine with sofas and tv. On one very wet and hailing afternoon I spent a lovely time sitting in the lounge enjoying a cup of tea in front of the fire, while my husband worked. Relaxing, warm and a real home away from home.

The restaurant is at the top end of the scale, professional service, fantastic food, and the ambience is simply delightful. We enjoyed both meals we had here, lovely balances of flavour and presentation was excellent. Delicious food, in ample quantity, lovely people and faultless service.

All up I have to say that this is a place for travellers to stay - extremely business like, but warm and welcoming, excellent wifi, food and comfort. A real asset for Longford as we are likely to go back just to stay here!!!!

Room Tip: Just be clear about why you are visiting and I'm sure the best room for your needs will be provi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RooGirl5
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Without doubt the best restaurant in Longford. The food and atmosphere is amazing here. The staff are so professional too. It can be a little on the pricey side but it is worth every penny and is a real treat. The food and service is of the highest quality. You can opt for the Sunday lunch which is cheaper and has the same great food and atmosphere. I love it here and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mmk_12
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our pre-arranged reservation for another place that shall remain nameless fell through so, after consulting our travel guides and phoning around, we happened upon Mountview and from the moment we arrived we felt welcome and wanted. It had been explained that only the smallest room was left at €110 per night B&B. Well, when Kash welcomed us and showed us to the largest "smallest" room we've slept in, we knew we had landed lucky. And so it continued.
The bathroom was small and the plumbing has seen slightly better days, but the bed was large and very comfortable as were the furnishing and decor.
Breakfast was absolutely first class, the sausages particularly superb but it was all good. Beryl Keaney goes to great trouble with all of breakfast and with sourcing fine ingredients.
We dined both nights in the large, busy and impressive restaurant in the adjoining block. Our dinners were expertly cooked and presented and tasty and generous. No Sunday dinner but Sunday "lunch" accepted orders till after 4pm, all served by attentive, friendly , proficient staff.
The gardens are extensive but do not miss the stunning Japanese Garden.
Despite Viewmount's popularity for weddings and the myriad other Irish family and church celebrations that make this place justifiably busy we felt welcome throughout and the personal enthusiasm, interest and active involvement of Beryl and James Keaney in this hotel are obvious and what make it such a pleasant place to visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kirkcaldylad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longford
Keenan's Hotel, Bar and Restaurant
Glasson Country House Hotel & Golf Club
Wineport Lodge
Wineport Lodge
#2 of 9 in Athlone

Been to Viewmount House? Share your experiences!