“Bit Dated and Tired but Rooms Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Gables Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newbridge
Gables Guest House
Ranked #6 of 6 Newbridge B&B and Inns
Eire
“Bit Dated and Tired but Rooms Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed for 1 night at beginning of February. We chose it because it was very close to the venue of the party we were attending. To that end it is within 5-10 minutes of the main High Street in Newbridge which is very handy. The place looks a bit tired and in need of decorating/updating and there was a damp smell in the corridors in the area our room was located. There is evidence of neglect with no lighting in the corridor our room was in and an exposed wire and light fittings hanging down.

However the breakfast was good and the bathroom was clean and the room warm.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Front area was dirty.. Full of leaves and broken front door. The guy at reception was wearing a track suit.. First room we were brought to had a broken shower door. We were moved to a second room which was very spacious.., however very outdated. The beds were old.. And the bed cover was( the one on top of the top sheet) was not clean.., thought it looked like a small old blood stain on it And the base of the bed was old and stained.... In the bathroom no shower gels, shampoos, body lotions or shower caps.., only a small bar of soap in the shower. Also cobwebs in the bathroom. Breakfast was average....my major problem with this place is that it cost €80 for a double room for a night with breakfast.., way too expensive... I would not recommend anybody to stay here.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank sheldry78

Travelers are raving about these Newbridge hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

The room (12) had cobwebs where you shouldn't have them the single bed was hard & past it's sell by date the plugs behind the beds were hanging out the plaster & were dangerous. The bathroom was large but dated but everything apart from the phone was working. I enjoyed the good sized 20 metre swimming pool & the sauna & gym facilities & my breakfast was lovely. Unfortunately my other guest had to be at a course at 9 & they didn't facilitate an early breakfast but when I checked out the manager seemed mortified & said of course you could have an earlier continental style breakfast & he would put the member of staff I dealt with right for future reference. The room rate was €40 per person not per room so it wasn't cheap for a bed would I stay again if I was in Newbridge ? Yes I probably would & a bonus was the free wifi!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Thorpeman
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2012

All in all the reviews I read before coming here did put me off, but for the price it's ok for a nite, good view of the river from room 25 window. Warm, no over powering smell, respectively clean,

Close to the Newbridge town center, I walked up to town with in 10mins, had a meal etc

Room tick's the box's
en-suit with shower no bath
tea/coffee facilities in room
crisp white linin on bed
iorning/board
and a swimming pool with sauna etc can't be bad for €40 inc breakfast for a nite, yes room could do with repaint and plug needs a fix screw, superficial fact's.
It's not the ritz or K club, don't get me wrong I'd love to stay at the K club but wow, my budget wont stretch that far does your's???? The Gabels has a bed/breakfast/pool just like K club.

I can't rate other rooms but rm25 was seffice.

Room Tip: Rm 25 is a room for 2, was warm and over looked river, no bath just shower, good value at €40 inc br...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SpaceTraveler2012
mayo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

On arrival the guest house seemed ok dispite the frontdoor area dirty and in need of a good sweep.The lady at recption was ok but not the friendliest person as soon as we walked down the hall towards the rooms we knew this wasn't good. Walls were in need of a paint or wass and the flooring all should be in the bin. The first bedroom smelt something shocking we had to ask to change to another. We had three rooms booked and none of them were what I would call clean or modern. They also have a pool and gym which seem ok and quiet busy. Overall the place is not good and I will not be back to stay.

Room Tip: There were none that I saw
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank connie d
kildare
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

I was looking to join the leisure club and use it on a regular basis. I had been corresponding by email with a girl working there who told me membership started from €40 I really was just looking to use the pool and for about 6 months. The car park was full of potholes, the women at the reception told me it starts from €45 and when I told her I reviewed an email saying it was €40 she just kept dismissing this. I was told a swim was €10 and she pointed to the changing room. This was very dated with 2 showers with mould on the shower curtains the floor was wet and covered in muc from people coming and going,to get to the swimming pool you had to walk out of the changing area past the gym where the door was wide open with lads doing weights staring at you while you made your way to the pool area, very strange and off putting. The pool was small but good size If there are only a few using it, no lifeguard. I was told afterwards membership was for a year and the price was the price whether I used the gym or not I explained I couldn't use the gym and was told well that's it 45 per month for 12 months, no flexibility. They are the most expensive in the area and have the worst facilities, will not be signing up here.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank whiskey7
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

We were told that the guesthouse had undergone major renovations to their premises so we were looking forward to seeing the changes after previously staying here and being disappointed.

The rooms we stayed in weren't thoroughly cleaned, there was black mould in the bathroom, wallpaper peeling from the walls and the decor was tired and dated.

We had family staying in other rooms of the guesthouse and they all had much larger rooms than ours, yet we were all charged the same rate per night.

I definitely wouldn't return to this premises as the money has obviously been pumped into the leisure facilities but even they left a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LisiRee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbridge
The Keadeen Hotel
Lawlors Hotel
#1 of 5 in Naas
Maudlins House Hotel
Killashee  - Hotel Spa Leisure

Been to Gables Guest House? Share your experiences!