“Quality stay in lovely surroundings.”

Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maynooth
“Quality stay in lovely surroundings.”
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We stayed in Carton House on Valentines night. It is not often that a hotel gets the important combination of accommodation and food just right - Carton House did. Our room was delightful with the welcome turn down service and even though the hotel was very busy we had a peaceful nights sleep. The service was prompt and not intrusive. Our meal in the Linden Tree restaurant was excellent as usual - tasty and comfortable. The waiter and waitress served us in a professional manner and even though the restaurant was busy they seemed unhurried and cheerful. The atmosphere in the hotel was very good and front desk staff were helpful. Go and enjoy.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Castleknocktraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 11, 2010

I stayed at the Carton House for 3 nights over Christmas with extended family. Overall, it was lovely. Well designed and relaxing rooms. I really liked the pool area and locker rooms. I didn't get any spa treatments, but it looked very nice. Lovely grounds to for for post-meal walks. Enjoyed the food very much, particularly the starters and mains. (The desserts were the weakest).

The staff were very friendly, exceptionally so, I thought.

I only have positive things to say, and I would definitely recommend Carton house if staying in a hotel over Christmas holidays. I stayed as a guest, however, so I cannot comment on the value of the package or another type of stay. It isn't the type of hotel I would normally stay at just for a weekend away (nb I'm not a golfer), but it looks like a lovely place to hold an event.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Suzanne5
wicklow
Reviewed February 4, 2010

Stayed with another family of five as christmas treat booked two rooms each per family. Cannot fault rooms or dinner in restaurant, however service in bar and hotel lobby was dreadful, shocked to find out that bar food is only served until 7pm and with that be prepared for a very long wait regardless of what time or how small the food order is.It took an hour for two bowls of soup! Attitude of staff was unbelivable at times, when seated in back bar and eventually catching attention of waiter we were told "in a moment" now I didnt mind the first time but this was the response we got everytime we wanted to place an order, it never seemed the right time!! As this wasnt rude enough when an order was finally placed and a coffee was forgotten the waiter proceeded to imply it was our mistake and not his..... a true 4 star waiting experience i think not. Lucky i checked our dinner reservation a few hours after arrrival as it was only booked for two people and not five for restaurant for the next night. I was embarrassed that i had recommended hotel to other family and they also found service dreadful. Filled in hotel email customer survey and surprise have not had a response.. What a shame.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank sna39
carton_house2006, Guest Relations Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 15, 2010
We are currently reviewing the opening hours of our Kitchen Bar as we have had a few requests to extend the service times. Although it can get quite busy in our bar, this is not an excuse for poor service. We take comments about the service very serious indeed, and we have already implemented a full re-training for our team on how to deal with guests during busy periods. During quieter periods our service is to a very high standard, and we try to maintain this standard regardless of the business levels. Thank you for your comments.
Co Meath
Reviewed February 3, 2010

A two night stay in Carton House, which comprised a Sunday Sanctuary package, including a two course evening meal and one Spa treatment, plus one extra night's B&B, was a Valentine's gift from my beloved.
The place is simply stunning; there is a two mile long driveway through the golf course itself. It is very grand, and completely cut off from the hustle and bustle of the nearby M4 motorway. Check-in was brisk and efficient at tiny airline-type desks. My room was stupendous, tastefully decorated in creams and reds, with a King size bed, a mini bar, and all the usual bits and bobs that come with a modern hotel room. Bathroom boasted a bath and a separate rain shower, with mood lighting! The first surprise was that my two course meal in the Clubhouse had to be availed of before 7.30pm, but to be sure, I was advised to present myself no later than 7pm, as"last orders are at sundown, which is open to interpretation!"
The meal was really good, I opted for fresh cod in a beer batter with fries and mushy peas. Very good - but why does a place of such calibre have to resort to frozen chips?
Had a swim and a shower at the pool before heading for the bar.
The first shock was next morning when I went to use my own shower for the first time-following the instructions in the guest manual......I got tepid water....at that stage, wet through and chilled, I made the best of it and dried off, heading to reception where I told a young lady about the shower problem...she assured me that there was nothing wrong with the shower;I just needed to let the water run for a minute or two. I pointed out that as I had already had a full shower in tepid water and the temperature had not increased...this didn't work. however, she assured me that she would have someone look at it.
When I returned to my room later that evening after a full day, I tried the shower again, after re-reading the instructions....and had yet another cool rainfall! Approached the reception desk again to a very pleasant man, who checked and said that there was no record of my complaint, but if I liked, he would change my room. As it was now 9pm, and I was checking out in the morning, I felt that it was more trouble than it was worth.

Next morning...same again! On check-out, I again brought the receptionist's attention to my tepid shower; again, she checked the records, and said that there was no note of either my 1st OR 2nd complaint, but promised she would check it out and ring me later.

On a good note; the Spa is fabulous;they use Aveda products which smell divine; and the relaxation room which looks out on to a Zen garden, was designed by a genius! Staff are gorgeous; courteous, charming and all perfectly groomed. I know that I travelled off-season - and I was looking for peace and quiet - but there is something spooky about walking those long, long corridors at night and not hearing another human sound. It was dead. I would imagine that it's different in peak season, or during a tournament. However, during my short stay, it was totally lacking in atmosphere. Only one small bar opened at night; it's not the sort of place where the locals will stroll up to in the evening for a few drinks. It is aimed at the golfing set, and I think the lovely Spa is a kind of sop to the WAGs who may accompany the golfers.

However, it was lovely. I came away well rested,following a Chakra Balancing massage on the Monday(very different!) and a facial on the Tuesday before I checked out. Pity about the shower. Incidentally, there was a follow-up call later that day...the shower was working properly; there is a secret button on the lower lever that is a release button for the flow of hot water...except none of the staff seemed to know that, and no-where was there any indication that extra twiddling might be required of the secret button! It is a child-safety feature, which is laudable in itself....but please, could someone not have found this out after my first complaint?

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Our Showers do have a safety button on the handle to prevent the shower from becoming too hot, too quickly. Although this was checked after the first call, there was no follow up call to inform the guest of the situation. I have asked the team to ensure that there is full communication with the guests going forward, should there be an issue in the room. I am happy to read that the other aspects of your stay were enjoyable.
Munster
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I recently brought my boyfriend to Carton House as a birthday treat - and what a treat it was! With the snow-covered parklands, we were delighted that the glorious period property proved as beautiful inside as out. We stayed in a suite in the old house and were treated to utter luxury from start to finish. The discreet and personable service, be at at reception, in the bar or at breakfast, could not be bettered. An experience of pure delight and one that I hope we will repeat very soon.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RedMunster
Kinsale
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Seeing such a grand hotel in the snow was probably an extra bonus but the grandeur of the surroundings was only further enhanced by the level of service which we experienced within the elegantly designed Carton House. It is a must for anyone who wishes to escape the madness of the city or if you just want some time out.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank kinsalelady
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 7, 2010

hotel was just beautiful, even tought it was winter time I was just delighted about staying in the hotel - beautiful reception, holls and rooms

but that was all what I loved in this hotel

for a 4* hotel the services which was provided especially in the restaurant was a discrease - we ordered table for a engagement dinner for two people and we ordered food for person with ceoliac disease - there was no problem at all when we was booking a room, but the problems started when we had a dinner.

First of all our dinner was delayed for about 2 hours. We booked a table for 7pm and got one at 9pm. Then we was waiting for about 1 hour for a food, and we got food (steak) which was unsuitable for coeliac. When we got a steak suitable for coeliac it took so long to get from the kitchen to our table it was cold. I've asked the manager to heat it up - we was waiting for a steak for about half an hour and when I've asked where is our steak manager said is in the bin.

In the end all my fiancee had for a engagement dinner was one baked poatoe with glass of white wine

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MarzenaDublin
carton_house2006, Guest Relations Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, January 11, 2010
Since February we have made some significant changes to our Restaurant Service. Our staff has been re-trained in how to deal with specific guest requests, to include dietary requirements. We have also reduced the waiting time between courses and improved our reservation process, and in the last few months our guest satisfaction has increased considerably.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maynooth
The K Club
Osprey Hotel & Spa
Celbridge Manor Hotel
Celbridge Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Celbridge

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!