Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
$150
$102
$77
2,770 results
All reviewslinden tree restaurantold housecoach housegolf clubbeautiful hotelkitchen barbeautiful groundsthe main housespa treatmentsrelaxing breaktop classmain restaurantspecial occasionleisure centreone night stayafternoon teaenjoyable stay
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Fantastic value. 90 euro per person sharing for the Table d'hote menu in the Linden Tree restaurant, bed and breakfast in Carton House. (Mid-week dinner, bed and breakfast rate).

Fantastic staff, nothing too much trouble for them. Beautiful surroundings and in the glorious weather we are having in Ireland at the moment, a joy to sit outside and have a drink in the evening. We took advantage of the spa, the swimming pool and the lovely walks in the grounds.

I booked the one night trip as a relaxing 'treat' having just had to put a beloved dog to sleep and it did exactly what I wanted it to do. I may well book a similar night again before the summer's over.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank newgrange
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Carton is one of the greatest surviving Irish country houses, but its recent conversion into a golf hotel is oddly crass. The modern extension, tacked onto the side of the house, bears no relation to the old building at all, and is tricked out in fashionable minimalist style, all polished marbled and aubergine upholstery. The main reception area and restaurant are both in the new part, and the palatial eighteenth-century rooms built for the Dukes of Leinster seemed more-or-less abandoned, all set up for wedding and corporate events. One of the main staircases has a circular glass life shaft in the middle of the stairwell - how many European countries other than Ireland permit sich a thing? - while the state rooms themselves are labelled with weird sans serif signs in shiny metal, again wildly out of place in a fabulous eighteenth-century building. The house's original galleried library, complete with false books on the jib door, was in use as a chair store. Outside, the massive golf courses are plonked in the fabulous landscape park with minimal effort to integrate them into their historic setting, a huge car park right by the main facade looked like something from a supermarket, while the tarmac drive has a turning circle, complete with give way signs right by the front door.

Wildly expensive, with the most expensive glass of wine I've ever ordered outside Scandinavia. Impersonal service, the final straw for me being told that they couldn't supply me with a couple of aspirin for my headache because of health and safety.

If you want to pay through the nose for a luxury American-style golf hotel it may suit. If, on the other hand, you want to stay in a grand Irish country house, it will almost certainly disappoint. Such a pity that such a marvellous and important building could not have been done over more sensitively, as such a shame that Ireland's planning laws, among the slackest in the westen world, allowed it.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank OxonianTraveller
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We booked this hotel for our annual sisters get away, as we do once a year to pamper ourselves & get away for chat food & enjoyment - but this is not what we had expected!
Pricey it was for starters we booked 1 night BB with Spa treatments. We arrived early for treatment at spa overnight bags were taken & were told would be delivered to our rooms when checked in - checked in 3pm bags did not arrive despite 3 phone calls re same till 6.30 having to go & chase up bags ourselves- dinner for 7pm - not much time to ready ourselves. Dinner 7pm in resturant - given one menu which was again pricey & queried re same with package that we booked - waiteress very poor english & did not understand our enquiry re menu & price - finally to be produced with different menu & extras with our package. Rooms were nice & comfy. Breakfast was different story -yogurt bowl empty & asked for some to be told they had no more - then to find moulded brown bread on table which we brought to dinning room managers attention who apologised & repalced same. On checking out all 3 of us were way overcharged - we had to inform recptionists of our package & charges - obiovusly no communication.I had not intended to write review until we reported to duty manager - which I duly did 2 days later to be told by him that he would have to take this matter to higher managment & would revert to me & would you believe 1 month later & not as much as a phone call !!! Finally re spa treatments which we all found very good & excellent staff - but the relaxation room was a joke - you come from your lovely treatment & go here to relax !! Room bright with imatatinion so called blinds painted on the windows ? leather brown upright hard uncomfortable relaxation chairs with no undercover with dark brown blanket to cover up - not so nice on wet windy May day??. Overall very disappointed with money we paid - but having given this hotel the oppertunity to redeemits policy & good name I am astonished Idid not get as much as a return call - we would not recommend this to any of our friends.. Bad value for money

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I took my dad away to Carton House for a couple of days in May 2009 and I can't rate it highly enough. It is set in a great location within a drive to a number of towns as well as Dublin itself. The room we stayed in was great, it was a twin room with desk, seating area, LCD TV with satellite and a great bathroom.

The hotel itself is expensive to eat and drink in, as is the clubhouse, but for a couple of days will not totally break the bank. The spa was excellent, it has an 18m pool, sauna, steam room, cardio and weights suites.

The courses are 2 of the nicest I have played on and very challenging. The montgomery is a long links style course which is achieved exceptionally well given its parkland location. It is long and will pose serious difficulties to the shorter hitters, although the ground was very wet when we played to it was playing longer. I would say if there are stroke savers available its well worth the investment as its not obvious the best lines to be taking to a number of the holes.

The O'meara was another great course with some amazing individual holes and was again a challenge for all players. The 16th (I think) was an amazing hole about 175 yards from the blue tees and that was a full carry to the green over a river, which was shaped round the green. Lovely hole but very difficult and nowhere to miss the green.

All in all it was a great hotel and golf resort and I would both recommend it to friends and return myself.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed May 25, 2009

What an impressive place. As I drove up to the house and hotel itself in October 2008 I felt excitement mount at the thoughts of the night ahead - my partner and I were spending the night in the hotel to celebrate our anniversary and we had chosen Carton House as we had spent the first romantic night of our relationship there some time previously and had also stayed a number of times in the meantime.

The foyer is a lovely space - modern, bright and airy, but with atmosphere. It is lit nicely at night and has lots of nooks and crannies where a couple can go to feel as though they can maintain their privacy but remain part of the atmosphere. The overall feel of the hotel is fashionable modernity mixed with flashes of old-fashioned comfort. It is a relaxed place in beautiful surroundings.

Any time we have stayed here we have found the staff to be friendly but when we stayed in October 2008 we ran into a problem at Reception when I was asked to pay for the stay upon arrival. My argument was that I shouldn't be asked to pay before I checked out in case there was anything I was unhappy with in the meantime. I was assured there would be nothing that would not meet with my expectations but this is a poor argument. I was told that if indeed there was anything I was unhappy about, I could discuss my concerns with the manager who would make sure I was happy with the outcome, but this misses the point. I do not pay for a meal in a restaurant before I eat it.

Our room, as ever, was perfect for our needs. My only gripes were that the mobile phone coverage was so poor that we had to stand in a certain spot in the room to manage to send a text, nevermind make a call; the lighting in the bathrooms is extremely poor and is not good either for applying make-up or for shaving; the space in the drawers and wardrobes would not be sufficient for people who were staying for a week or more - very limited space and the radio reception on the stereo was very hissy.

The views from the rooms that look out onto the grounds are lovely; the food in the Linden Tree restaurant is tasty, but over-priced; the beds are big and comfortable and beautifully dressed and in my opinion this is the perfect place for a couple to get away from it all and enjoy being together in a romantic setting. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and if their rates were more reasonable I would stay more often.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple