“Enjoyable, Relaxing Break.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maynooth
IRELAND
“Enjoyable, Relaxing Break.”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Stayed 2 nights Sunday-Tuesday in April, booked a house suite, room well appointed with separate living and dining and large bathroom, check in was hassle free and we were brought to our suite which was a nice touch. Ate both nights in the coach house, food was lovely and well priced, made use of the spa for two treatments, very enjoyable with also nice leisure facilities which were enjoyed. Hotel and grounds were impressive and very well kept, staff extremely friendly and helpful.

Overall a very enjoyable stay would recommend and would return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank PM20

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Another excellent stay at Carton House. Facilities are superb, staff are excellent and good food at a reasonable price. Drinks in the Hotel Bar are quite expensive but the service makes up for that. The Grounds were immaculate as were both golf courses. Bedrooms were spotless, beds comfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

This weekend my family and I stayed for 2 nights at Carton House Hotel. Check in was fast and staff were very friendly. Rooms were very comfortable and modern. Food in the restaurant could have been better, not five star dining. We will return.

Stayed April 2014
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Carton house has beautiful grounds that's probably it's best feature. We had been given a voucher as a wedding present and my husband and I were really looking forward to our stay.
We had dinner in the Linden Tree restuarant. The service was excellent but the food left a lot to be desired. The bedroom was large lovely big bed. But we could hear what the people were saying in the room next door. The bathroom was a let down. The bath and sink fixtures were damaged. There were mould spots on the ceiling above the shower.
I usually love breakfast in a hotel but breakfast in Carton house was a shambles. We had to wait twenty minutes for a table. There was nothing special about breakfast I could have cooked the same if not better. I hate to say it but we will not be rushing back to Carton House.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank carposmrs
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Beautiful setting, Perfect for the special event, anniversary, birthday.excellent Spa facilities. Make sure you book your evening meal if you want it in advance., we thought you could just drop only to find out that the restaurant was fully booked, even on a Monday in February! Big Plus.. The Irish Rugby team were in residence!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a night to celebrate a special occasion, and just couldn't have been more underwhelmed. For a hotel in this price bracket, you really don't get much bang for your buck. It might look like a four star hotel, and (asides from being quite a trek from reception) the rooms are nice, with lovely big bathrooms, but the service and attention to detail is three star all the way. I've stayed in a few spa hotels at this stage, some have been simply spectacular, some have been less so, but this is the first time I feel compelled to write a review about just how far short of my expectations a hotel has fallen.

Guests do not get a robe and slippers in the room, so when I went down to use the pool and spa facilities I asked if could get a robe, but it was told, no, only guests booked in for a treatment could have one. This surprised me, as, based on previous experiences in spa hotels, I had brought down a book, expecting I could relax down there for a few hours even if I wasn't paying for a treatment. I was expecting far too much. The facilities are basic, looking more like a leisure centre than a spa, and noisy. Swimming hats aren't compulsory, and the pool was full of kids. There are only six loungers, all of which were taken and the only other seating is wooden benches, so I headed for the sauna, which is right beside the pool, and the steam room, which is right beside that, but found no cool down facilities to use between the two, and no drinking water available. The jacuzzi was nice, but, again, noisy as right beside the pool, so, all in all not a relaxing experience. I headed back to the changing rooms, to dry myself with my sopping wet towel, after about 50 mins.

As we had some younger girls in our party who didn't fancy the Linden Tree menu, we had decided to eat in the Coach House. Again, we based this on previous experiences in similar hotels, where the bar food and decor would reflect the overall quality and ambience of the hotel. Not so the Coach House, which really lacked atmosphere, was brightly lit, with tvs blaring a rugby match. We would have been far better off taking a taxi into Maynooth and having a nice meal there. Three of our meals were so bad they were deducted from the final bill. We were grateful for the gesture, and our waiter was lovely, and very apologetic (more so than the manager) but it left three of our party hungry for the night, and no part of any four star hotel should be serving such appallingly bad food in such nondescript surroundings.

Breakfast was equally underwhelming. We were seated with no menus and no mention that additional items to the buffet selection could be ordered. The buffet choice is very basic, and lacking any of the nice, or even basic touches you would expect from a four star hotel. For example, once everyone had been to the buffet and were back at the table, we asked for ketchup and were told "It's at the buffet, beside the sausages". One of our party returned to get some, and found one ketchup bottle, which, when she went to bring it to the table, she was told, you can't take that, it's for everyone. The hot breakfast was very bland, and as I don't eat meat I was disappointed that only rubbery scrambled eggs were on offer. I was half way through my meal when I saw someone being brought an omelette, so I asked the waitress was there a menu in addition to the buffet. "No, there's no menu, just the buffet" she said, and when I glanced over at the omelette on the next table she said "oh but you can order things like poached or fired eggs if you want" And, presumably, omelettes, and, from reading other reviews on here, it seems pancakes can be ordered too? None of this is made clear to you, however, which is a real shame, as you shouldn't be made to feel you are harassing the staff in order to get a better than mediocre breakfast. And speaking of harassment, there is a real feeling that they want you in and out as quickly as possible. At one point I put my knife and fork down for ten seconds to turn and speak to my friend, and when I turned back my almost full plate of food was six inches off the table with a waitress asking "will I take this?".

All in all I'm left a bit bewildered as to how this hotel has the reputation it has. It lacks any of the personal touches or warm interactions with staff that make you feel welcome, and the place is so enormous and busy that at every stage you feel the attitude is "Get them in, get them out again". There is a real feeling of cutting corners and saving money (hotel slippers must cost about €1 per pair, they can't even do that?) and I would recommend the management spend a few nights in some other hotels in this price bracket as they have a lot to learn about hospitality and what is expected, at a minimum, from hotels of this class. For people looking for a special and relaxing night away, keep looking, there are far better options out there.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
9 Thank CarolKiki
Warrenpoint, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Just back from a 2 night honeymoon break in the Carton house. From the moment we walked in until our departure we had a fantastic time. Someone informed the hotel about our arrival & told them it was our honeymoon. From the Talbot suite we stayed in to our champagne on arrival we had a 5 star service. The room was top drawer along with every other aspect of the hotel. We can't thank each & every person enough who made our stay so special & relaxing. The receptionists, The lady who showed us to our room who congratulated us, floor & bar staff, room service, restaurant staff especially the supervisor/manager in the restaurant on the Thursday night we had dinner, A credit to your hotel I must say & all other staff members. Thats just the service. The hotel & grounds are amazing, a 5 star in my opinion!! Food & drink were fantastic also. We will definitely be back some day & would recommend you highly!! Thanks again to you all.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bikergrove
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maynooth
The K Club
Osprey Hotel & Spa
Celbridge Manor Hotel
Celbridge Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Celbridge

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!