“Forced into a Bad Review”

Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maynooth
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have never taken to tripadvisor to give such a poor review before, but after two attempts at communicating my dissatisfaction with the hotel, and being assured I would hear from the duty manager, alas I never did.

Myself and three companions stayed in the hotel for one night in November for what was supposed to be a birthday treat. The first issue was a phone call I received the night before to tell me I had made no dinner reservation, and there was now only a very early or very late option. I found my previous correspondence only to phone back and be told my reservation had been found.

We arrived early for a pre-check in lunch during which it was noted that the service was very slow. We approached the desk just after 3pm to check in, and this turned into an exhausting procedure which took 30 minutes to complete. The staff member in question was very pleasant, and I would have no complaints in how she dealt with us, but she was training on the system and was clearly left to her own devices long before she was capable of using it. The issue was that we wanted our two rooms to at least be on the same floor, which was causing problems.

When another staff member eventually came to her aide, we found her to be abrupt with her struggling colleague and completely unapologetic to us for the ridiculously long wait. Paying turned into such an ordeal that we made a mental note to keep our receipts in case of discrepancy.

On reaching our rooms, we were a little surprised to find that we were in interconnecting rooms, but not to each other, (325 and 321) but presumed that the other rooms were empty, as we thought it impossible that we would have been given interconnecting rooms with strangers.

Dinner was pleasant enough, and the service, although quite unfriendly, was prompt until we tried to pay. It took us 15 minutes to get someones attention to take our money and cards, and we were then informed that we should go to the desk to use the visa machine. When we got to the desk, there was nobody there, and a further wait was in store.

As four mothers of young children we were all looking forward to a lie in, and were aghast to find the next morning that, no, the adjoining rooms were not empty, and when our neighbours got up at 7.30am, they might as well have been in our rooms so loud was their conversations through the doors which do not adequately soundproof a room!

We gave up on sleep and went down to breakfast. The food was pleasant, but the policy of cleaning up as quickly as possible to get people back out the door was highly irritating. Twice we had items lifted from the table (juice and a plate of food) that we had to ask to be returned.

At this stage my companions were making jokes about what could possibly happen next, such was their low expectations of the hotel.The final straw was yet to come though! Happy in the knowledge that we had paid up the night before, it was a relief not to have to approach the desk, and we headed straight out to our cars and for home.

After all of the above, you can imagine my annoyance when I checked my email to find a mail from the Carton House saying my booking had been amended on Saturday to an interconnecting room, with the new price of €300 rather than €250. We never requested interconnecting rooms, nor did we get them, except to strangers who woke us up a good 2 hours before we had planned on arising.

I tried to seek assurance from the hotel that we would not be charged this extra fee, and never received it. Despite 2 lengthy emails to the hotel, the duty manager never contacted me as promised.

To sum up: if you are hosting a major corporate event in Carton House, or are deemed to be amongst their elite client group, you will no doubt be treated very well. If you are 4 women away for what was supposed to be a special night, and feel there was a lot lacking in your experience, don't bother telling them They don't want to know.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sadie06
There are newer reviews for Carton House Hotel & Golf Club

Reviewed February 21, 2014

stayed here for over night Winter wonderland experience..... advertised as relaxing experience . hotel room was ok mini bar in room _ Empty, the food was lovely mind you you had to pay 4€ for each veg or potato you wanted so straight away thats an exra €8 each onto your bill if you wanted steak as standard this was an extra €10 (rip off) . the spa and relaxation area was like walking the green mile to get to it and when we got to the pool , a load of kids (not staying in the hotel) were there playing this was not at all enjoyable , no robes or slipper were supplied?? even the hotel said they dont do them as standard . not at all enjoyable and very poor customer service . does not deserve to be 4 star hotel . Maybe go to farnham estate cavan NOW thats a proper hotel & spa

Room Tip: ask is the mini bar stocked and where are the robes and slippers for relaxation
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank meathsnoop1965
Eimear M, Guest Relations Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear meathsnoop1965,

Thank you for posting your review of Carton House.

I am disappointed to hear that overall you did not have an enjoyable stay.

With regards to the mini bar, we do not have a mini bar facility in the bedrooms, this is just a refrigeration unit. We do provide room service of drinks to guest rooms.

I have passed on your feedback regarding side orders to both our Food & Beverage Manager and also our Kitchen team who will take your feedback into consideration when next reviewing prices.

With regards to the Leisure facilities, as we are a family friendly hotel these areas are open to children however we only allow children in the pool area between specific times so as to allow for adults to also enjoy some relaxation time. I will pass on your feedback to our Spa & Leisure Manager.

I would like to thank you for your comments. All feedback is greatly appreciated as it can only aid us in improving our standards and quality of service which we provide for our guests.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House in the near future, and should you have any queries please contact me directly so I can assist you on your next visit.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed at the hotel two weeks During a work trip, the first visit to Ireland and of course in this hotel. Very impressive structure, the environment is so green causes a relaxed atmosphere. The room was of a good standard in terms of comfort and cleanliness. Breakfast is good. Would be good if possible to use the fridge in the room (it is full) to keep a few things in it. Pretty sight of the river and boathouse.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Selab16,

On behalf of the management and staff of Carton House Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with others.

We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I have passed your kind comments on to the team here in the hotel.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon and if I can ever be of any assistance to you please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Just back from 3 day break with family, 3 kids. We enjoyed our time in carton, easy acces, close to Dublin. The pool area is fantastic for small kids and the games area is good to kill a hour. Also enjoyed walks, tennis courts and golf driving area. The food and service really let carton down. Food in looby is average at best and service is poor. The reall let down is the linden restaurant,, i love my breakfast but it very much disappoints here,, hot food is greasy, overcooked, tasteless. We ordered pancakes for kids, got round doughy undercooked/microwaved cardboard! Fruit salad and cereal area need overhaul and imagination. Had dinner valued at 55€ per head with my wife. To say we were disappointed with menu, taste, quality is an understatement. Carton with a little work and imagination could infinitely improve food on offer. It's the only reason I may not return

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Gugfthuif

Dear Gugfthuif,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. All feedback is appreciated and we work hard to deliver a service that can be appreciated by our guests.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and enjoyed the facilities.

However I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your meal in either The Kitchen Bar or The Linden Tree. I have shared your feedback with both our Food & Beverage Manager and also our Executive chef who will address this with their teams.

Once again I would like to thank you for your detailed and measured feedback as it is through comments such as yours that enable us to continually improve our offerings and ensure that we cater for our guests every need.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Everything went well at checkin. The receptionist were very nice and helpful, we dropped our bags in the room and went to the bar beside reception area to have drink and start valentines evening. We sat at the table and waited for 20 mins till we got a drink.the waiters were just passing by and didn't pay attention so finally my boyfriend stood up to go to the bar and get a drink but the waitress said to take a seat and she come over, so we sat there for 5 mins and the waitress approached us. We decided to get some food and again we couldn't get service and it took minimum 20 mins till we could get attention of waiters.finally the food was served and we finished it and again we wanted to order another drink and again took min 20 mins till we got someones attention, by this stage our moods have disappeared and we decided to pay and go,but it didn't work as the waiters just were ignoring us, every time we look their way they turn the other way, we felt ignored, even the people that looked like managers just passed us, so After 2 hrs there we only managed to get 2 drinks each,took 20 mins to get bill,we had to go ourselves and pay at the bar as no one was approaching to take the bill. Ive never felt so ignored in my life, the room and the hotel itself is beautiful but the staff just ruin it, not mentioning the dinner at linden tree were a waiter approaches u after u asked for bill and ask if id like another glass of champagne were we never even got our first one.we thought everyone should know what to expect from staff in carton house hotel if u planning to have nice romantic stay.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We were back again for a meeting recently. It certainly keeps up the standards. The bedrooms are of good size and most comfortable. We had both dinner and breakfast and, while in the past I had occasional reservations about the food, this was certainly not the case this time, both meals were excellent. I didn't get to use the spa facilities as it was only an overnight stay. We'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Tadgh

Dear Tadgh,

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We spent the day in the Spa today and was very impressed with the way we were greeted and looked after,The treatments were first class and the girls Maree and Lorraine who looked after my husband and I were really excellent, professional and caring. We will be back only next time we will make sure that we stay overnight. All the staff we came in contact with were very friendly and helpful. We had a lovely meal in the Coach House which is attached to the golf club and again the staff were first class

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear AilbheDublin,

Thank you for posting your review of Carton House.

I am delighted to see that you had such a positive experience with us and that you enjoyed the service and facilities on offer here in Carton House. It is always great to see such positive feedback on our team and that they helped make your stay a memorable one.

Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maynooth
The K Club
#1 of 1 in Celbridge
Osprey Hotel
Osprey Hotel
#2 of 5 in Naas

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!