“Great service and five star dinner”

Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maynooth
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Just back from a two day meeting in Carton House. We were really well looked after from booking right through to departure. The meeting room was gorgeous, in the old house but with very fast wifi, plenty of water etc. We had a group dinner in the Linden Tree restaurant last night and it was delicious, even better than a previous work event a few years ago. I would highly recommend Carton for a work event. Next time I will leave time for golf!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Eimear M, Guest Relations Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Pam F,

Thank you for posting your review of Carton House.

I am delighted to see that you had such a positive experience with us and that you enjoyed the service and facilities on offer here in Carton House. Our team of chefs in particular will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal in The Linden Tree.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon and if I can ever be of any assistance to you please feel free to contact me.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,729)

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Having read The Aristocrats by Stella Tillyard and seen the mini-series (shot partly in the hotel) I wanted to stay in Carton House. It tells the story, from the 18th Century, of the daughters of the Duke of Richmond; one of whom was Emily. She married the first Duke of Leinster and made their home in Carton House. It was also home to their son, the famous Irish patriot, Lord Edward Fitzgerald.

On this trip I stayed in the modern wing which is typical of other good quality hotels. If you want to get a feel for it's history I would suggest staying in the main house. If the weather is good there are plenty of walks and a golf course.

The 66 bus from Dublin city centre stops outside its gate - though there is a 20 minute walk from there to the hotel through the golf course.

Room Tip: Read some of the history before you go, and perhaps, if your budget allows, choose a room in the old...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank DublinMED

Dear DublinMED,

Thank you for posting your review of Carton House.

I am delighted to see that overall you had a very enjoyable experience during your stay with us. The original old house rooms are really special and we are all very proud of the history and character that this part of the hotel has to offer and it always makes for a memorable stay.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House again in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome and please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you.

Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Carton house on 25th January as part of a work social event. From the moment you drive into the grounds of the hotel you know you are entering something special. The hotel was excellent. From checking in to checking out I could not fault the hotel.
On arrival I was quickly dealt with and the staff gave me a very good quick overview of the facilities.
The room was really nice. Large room and it felt really modern. The room was spotless as well.
The meal we had for our event I could not fault. It was 5 stars. The service was quick and the food was wonderful. The staff were always polite whenever they dealt with me.
Breakfast the next morning was a buffet service which had a wide selection of food. Again staff were om hand quickly to offer tea and coffee and anything extra you wanted.
I left the hotel and was thanked for my stay.
I will definately consider staying here again if I am ever near by.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear JWMD,

On behalf of the management and staff of Carton House Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with others.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your room to be comfortable and enjoyed the surroundings. I am also very happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I will pass on your nice comments.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed here for one night last week on a b&b package. Check in quick with a very friendly receptionist called Niamh. Our room was very large and spaciuos but freezing when we got to it however this was resolved quite quickly once we figured out the manually controlled heating system
As we were only booked for b& b we thought we'd go out for dinner,not realising the hotel is not walking distance of any restaurants .when we enquired about booking a table in the restaurant we were told the main linden tree restaurant was closed that night .. Not sure why, but that we could have the same menu in the coach house restaurant which is situated in the hotels golf clubhouse, but this involved going outside and a short walk across to it. Not a major problem but not the most appealing on a dark Jan night. Food was very nice small portions , 2 course meal with coffee €35 3 course €45 I thought ten euro a bit pricey to have dessert though. Lovely Chilean wine reasonably priced.
Overall this was a lovely hotel for an overnight break there is a leisure centre and golf onsite neither of which we used due to time. Old kitchen bar well worth a look in ,with original fireplace and stove still in situ. I'd say look on the hotels own website before you book ,they have some pretty good deals ,in some instances cheaper than the usual hotel websites I would use

Room Tip: If staying in modern part of hotel ask for one not too far from reception as some are quite a walk...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear tessie74,

Thank you for posting your review of Carton House.

We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I have passed your kind comments on to the team here in the hotel.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House in the near future, and should you have any queries please contact me directly so I can assist you on your next visit.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Carton house hotel and enjoyed our time there. Lovely mix of the old traditional building with a blend of modern decor. Very comfortable foyer/lounge area. We had a nice lunch in the kitchen bar and served by a friendly and polite girl, Lauren, who found us a seat while waiting for a table. Dinner was good in the restaurant with a great view of the linden trees from each table. The rooms are spacious with good size bathrooms. The lighting is like most hotel rooms and not as bright as one might like. The spa facilities were very good. Excellent therapist Alla ensured that I got the most out of the treatment. We found the hotel ideal for the restful weekend we were looking for and would recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Breda G

Dear Breda G,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. All feedback is appreciated and we work hard to deliver a service that can be appreciated by our guests.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We have stayed twice at Carton House for a golf weekend. There are some great deals going for golf and overnight dinner B&B.
The golf was great, both courses, the rooms are at a really high standard, great comfortable bed, lovely bathroom etc.
The spa and pool are lovely but need to book treatments well in advance.
I was disappointed in our dinner however. It was three courses, five choices per course but I really looked at the menu and there was no starter or main course which appealed.
The lunch at the clubhouse was excellent and breakfast good but it was disappointing that dinner wasn't more appealing.
I would return as everything else was so good and hopefully the meal will be more impressive.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Eimear M, Guest Relations Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear PEIspethC,

I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and enjoyed the facilities and service standards. I have passed your kind comments on to the team here in the hotel who will be delighted that they helped make your stay a pleasant one.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal in the Restaurant. Our team of Chefs regularly update our menus and I am sorry that the menu at the time was not to your liking. I have shared this feedback with our Head Chef who will take it on board.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stayed for 1 night. Wanted more but just didn't have the time, but glad now!!! Booked winter wonderland on line, for a Thursday night. Had a number of things to do in Dublin prior to check in. Including visiting a very ill relative. We arrived at about 6.30 pm, checked in, receptionist ok not over welcoming, she explained the rate we booked did have a dinner included but as we did not make a reservation in advance she would see if it was possible to have dinner. She phoned the restaurant and after much debate there would be a table available at 8.30 pm. We felt very much scolded. We then walked miles through very cold corridors to our very cold room. We passed time getting ready for dinner, arrived at the restaurant at 8.30 hoping our table would be ready, imagine our surprise to see 17 vacant and fully set up tables, I felt so annoyed that such a scene was made on arrival. Dinner was nice, very limited menu. Couldn't have desert on menu as all had chocolate. Asked for passion fruit sorbet and vanilla ice cream, but got mango sorbet can't eat mango!! After dinner decided to take a walk through main house, but we couldn't as it was so cold I mean freezing we were shivering. Breakfast next morning was just ok, not huge choice on buffet, cooked food nice. On checkout not offered assistance with luggage etc or about stay etc. would I go back maybe during a hot summer and not include dinner. But we left there with very bad impression of carton house.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank G K

Dear G K,

I am sorry that you were not happy with your experience with us and that we did not deliver our usually excellent standards of service and customer care during your stay. Our team are our greatest asset and we usually receive the most positive feedback possible on how friendly and efficient they are at what they do. I have passed on your feedback to our Front Office Manager who will follow up with her team as it is a standard that when guests are checking out that they are offered assistance with luggage. I apologise that this did not happen on this occasion.

Our Restaurant is a 200 seater restaurant however on quieter nights when we are not going to serve large numbers of diners we do not staff the Restaurant with the required number of staff to serve large numbers of diners. Instead we space out our bookings and using a seat our diners in a comfortable section of the restaurant which helps add to the ambience of the experience. While not every table in the restaurant was taken at the time your requested we were fully booked in terms of diners for that particular time slot.

I have asked our maintenance team to check the temperature in The Old House. We welcome our guests to explore the older part of the house and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy this due to it being cold. We try to regulate the temperature so that our guests are comfortable.

I do hope that I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House at some stage in the future so that you can enjoy these standards and all that we have to offer. Please do feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss your recent experience in more detail.

Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maynooth
The K Club
13 mi away
Osprey Hotel
Osprey Hotel
#3 of 5 in Naas

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!