“Excellent as always!”

Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maynooth
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We have just returned from our 9th stay at Carton and it was just as wonderful as ever! We availed of the Winter wonderland package , which is excellent value. We requested the Victoria Suite as we had stayed in that suite before and particularly liked it. It was as lovely as before. Spotlessly clean. We love to stay in the old house and would certainly recommend paying the extra, as it is well worth it. We have stayed in a few different ones at this stage.My favourites so far are the Victoria and the Lady Emily. Im dying to stay in the Duke, so maybe next time! The only tiny let down is that the "turn down service" seems to be discontinued? We have not had this the last three times we stayed and I always loved to come back to the room after dinner to find the bed turned down, lights on and the Butlers chocs beside the bed . In the old house suites I would expect this but maybe I have just been unlucky. Anyway this certainly didnt take away from our lovely stay.

We were checked in by Roisin, a lovely friendly girl. At dinner, all the staff were lovely, especially our waiter Rory who was excellent, very attentive and great at his job. The dinner was excellent as usual. A++ for presentation! Breakfast in bed the next morning was good and well worth getting delivered to your room. We enjoyed a walk around the estate before we had to go back to reality! Hopefully it wont be too long before our next visit.

If you want to be spoiled Carton House is the place to go!!

Room Tip: Old house all the way! The Lennox and The Ashford are lovely. Any of the 3 House suites are great.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IrelandShelly
Eimear M, Guest Relations Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear IrelandShelly,

Thank you for posting your review of Carton House.

I am delighted to hear that once again you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your lovely comment to all the team in particular Roisin & Rory who will be delighted to hear that they added to your experience.

I will pass on your feedback regarding turndown service to our Accommodation Manager who will follow up with her team.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Carton House Hotel & Golf Club

Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I spent last night at Carton House Hotel - we availed of their Winter Wonderland package which was excellent value for 1 nights B & B and a 3 course dinner each in the Linden Tree restaurant. We found the gentleman who checked us in to be very friendly and helpful. Our room was a good size and the bathroom had a separate shower cubicle to the bath which is something I particularly like. The shower was a rainfall shower as well which was great. We had booked dinner early. The staff in the restaurant were very warm and friendly. I ordered a wine from the main wine list, not one of the house wines, which was a 2010 vintage. However when the wine arrived it was a 2012 vintage. I called a member of staff back to point this out - apparently the 2010 is no longer available so they need to update the wine list. We were served delicious fresh bread rolls before the meal. We both really enjoyed our food - I had a duck starter and pigeon main while my husband had the goats cheese starter and beef main. We did think, at first, that the portion sizes were very small but, in fact, after having dessert we were both full. I had the simply scrumptious chocolate fondant dessert while hubby had the caramel citrus cremeux - I had a taste and it was divine. We had an early night &, having booked a late checkout, I went to the spa today for a mini retreat (after a delicious breakfast) which consisted of a 30 minute back massage followed by a 30 minute facial. My therapist Katie was lovely and massage and facial were excellent and very relaxing. Hubby, meanwhile, went for an hour-long walk in the grounds followed by a trip to the pool. The only negative points I would make were that the bedroom was stiflingly hot and we had to have the A/C on all the time as a result and, finally, both of us had sore backs this morning - while the bed had felt comfortable initially, clearly it wasn't perfect! The pillows, in particular were far too soft. However, overall, Carton House was a lovely experience and I would love to return one day - ideally I'd love to try one of the suites in the main house at some time.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear ClaremcDublin,

Thank you for posting your review of Carton House.

I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and enjoyed the facilities and service standards. I have passed your kind comments on to the team here in the hotel who will be delighted that they helped make your stay a pleasant one.

I will pass on your feedback regarding the beds to our Accommodation Manager who will investigate.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House again in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome and please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Have stayed at carton house 3 or 4 times now on business, often i am travelling alone and opt for room service rather than eating in a restraunt on my own. I am quite often disappointed by cold, soggy room service food, however Carton house served up the best i have ever had. I ordered a steak and chips, which was served piping hot and cooked to perfection. After my stay i received an email asking for feedback, which i gave, i did say that although the steak was fab i was served frozen chips, which i think is poor for a hotel of this standard, i got a reply from the manager apologising saying this was not the usual, and that there had been an issue that day so they could only offer frozen chips, which was fair enough, at leas they took the time to reply. The spa is lovely, probably not that child friendly, i wouldnt stay here with my kids, but it is really nice to relax in the pool and steam room etc I have also eaten in the club house witha few colleagues for a brekfast meeting, which was really good and the staff gave us space to have our meeting and discuss our business without bothering us at all. Overall very good and would stay again for sure

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Beautiful grounds and hotel. We stayed in the main (historic) building and had a suite - huge bedroom and bathroom with incredible views of the manicured grounds and golf course. Service was excellent all around. Would definitely return if in the area.

Room Tip: stay in the historic building
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Eimear M, Guest Relations Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear m0rrissey,

Thank you for posting your review of Carton House.

I am delighted to see that overall you had a very enjoyable experience during your stay with us. The original old house rooms are really special and we are all very proud of the history and character that this part of the hotel has to offer and with stunning bedrooms it always makes for a memorable stay.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights b&b and 1 dinner 2ad & 2ch price was ok, very disappointed with the food especially breakfast buffet as the food was cold and basic!
The bedroom that we had in the new section was no different to any other average hotel so this was disappointing.
Carton House and the grounds of the estate are well worth a visit but would not stay in the hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank deane2013
Eimear M, Guest Relations Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear deane2013,

Thank you for posting your review of Carton House.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy breakfast in the restaurant. I have shared this feedback with our Head Chef who will take it on board.

Our bedrooms in the new section are modern and contemporary, however we do also have rooms in the Old part of the house which dates back to the 17th Century and is a listed building and all of the 18 Suites are different with individual characteristics which add to the overall ambience of staying in this part of the hotel. Please feel free to request a specific room or part of the hotel that you would like to stay in when you are making your next booking with us and we will ensure that you have a much more comfortable stay with us.

I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House in the near future, and should you have any queries please contact me directly so I can assist you on your next visit.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Spent the last few days at Carton House with my wife as part of our honeymoon .We didnt leave the grounds of the hotel , dinner in the Linden Tree Restaurant was fantastic and drinks in the kitchen bar is perfect and relaxing walks on the grounds were a great way to spend the afternoons .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear JoeCoady,

Thank you for posting your review of Carton House.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon and if I can ever be of any assistance to you please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We were a party of 35 for New Year's Eve arriving to a bustling fully booked hotel with a spacious bright open reception area, we were greeted quickly efficiently and charmingly by a helpful young lady and checked in quickly and as an added bonus ordered our tea which arrived within minutes followed by more cups as our party grew.
This is the third time we had such a booking so we knew what to expect. The room was again spacious clean and comfortable with both shower and bath and a good view of the pleasant parklands. Tea coffee iron toiletries etc all there. The rooms are quiet with great total black out blinds. Quite a walk from reception, but no matter.
We met for drinks at 8.00 in a private room in the old house where again charming people served us. It was all timed to perfection, when we sat down to dinner the tables were of perfect size to allows us all to talk.
The meal was delicious, tain of crab followed by an especially wonderful steak which if anything was too large but cooked to perfection, the pudding was a sampling plate of deliciousnesses all served by wonderful staff who could not have been more helpful or attentive with professional charm and efficiency.
Eventually after greeting in the new year some retired to the bar for a dance and so to bed at 2am
Eventually we surfaced after a great quiet night's sleep at 11.30 and went down for an excellent buffet breakfast fresh fruit, cereals freshly cooked eggs, poached and fried fresh hot toast and copious amounts of Earl Grey tea and decaf coffee served again by charming interested staff.
The whole visit was summed up for me by the little cameo I saw at breakfast when a child obviously lost, appealed to a waitress who was laden with a tray in one hand and a jug of water in the other who immediately got down on her hunkers to talk to her just then the manager passing saw what was happening so he took the tray without a word and headed with it off to the kitchen. That exemplifies the team's courteousness to each other and to guests. That was our experience in Carton.
Thank you for all your hard work thought and consideration which made our stay such a success. These things do not happen, they are made to happen.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear cc4bees,

On behalf of the management and staff of Carton House Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with others.

I am delighted to see that you had such a positive experience during your recent stay with us in Carton House and I have passed your comments on to the team, our team of Chefs will be particularly happy that you enjoyed your meal experience so much.

Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maynooth
The K Club
#1 of 1 in Celbridge
Osprey Hotel
Osprey Hotel
#2 of 5 in Naas

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!