“A singular place.”

Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maynooth
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Check was excellent (unlike the last time I was here 4 years ago).

The rooms are superb in the old house. The facilities are superb and professional level in every way.

The special event food is excellent and breakfast superb - still allowing guests to have breakfast 25 minutes after the cut off time.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the old house - they cost a bit more but are worth it. Rooms in the new part of the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear 2elephants,

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you had such a positive experience with us and that you enjoyed the food and facilities on offer here in Carton House.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

There are newer reviews for Carton House Hotel & Golf Club

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here several times in recent years and it gets better every time! Treat yourself to a suite in the old house for a truly romantic and luxurious experience! Listen to Paul Harrington on the piano on Fri and Sat nights. Breakfast in bed, champagne, golf or walk around the extensive grounds. Great food and extensive wine list. Club house also does good if you want to avoid fine dining all the time. The best hotel in Ireland and great value!!

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear BowenK,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. It is always great to see such a positive review from a regular guest.

We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us and that you had the opportunity to explore the grounds and relax in the evening times to the dulcet tones of Paul Harrington in the Kitchen Bar.
The suites in the original part of the hotel are really special and I am glad that it helped make your stay such a memorable one.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Carton in the near future and if I can be of any assistance to you please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Had the pleasure to stay at Carton House on business recently and all I can say is WOW!

Whilst I've stayed in grand hotels before what stood out at Carton House were the exceptional staff; warm and friendly yet at the same extremely efficient and professional.

Nothing was too much trouble, and they went out of their way to ensure your stay was as perfect as possible.

We stayed in the new wing (the conference centre) and for modern decor this was incredibly up-scale - the best of finishes, luxury touches everywhere from the rainfall walk in shower to the super soft sheets and hardwood entrance area.

The architects here have managed to marry the old world manor house with the modern parts of the building perfectly - the transitions compliment rather clash with beautiful glass corridors looking into walled gardens and excellent night time lighting.

We were attending a gala dinner - and generally, in even the best hotels, mass catering can be hit and miss - but not here. In the wonderfully opulent Gold Room we were treated to a delicious crab starter, followed by melt in the mouth Filet with roast vegetables and topped off with 4 beautiful and mouth watering miniature desserts - all presented well, piping hot and freshly cooked - yum!

Breakfast was a treatment, a wonderful fresh affair with fruits, pastries and cooked offerings all enjoyed overlooking the stunning grounds and golf courses.

As beautiful as the building is - Carton House IS its grounds - I think it's over 1000 acres of manicured parkland and golf course - all beautifully kept and a real treat to experience.

Sadly we didn't have the time to enjoy the leisure centre or spa - but I shall be back!

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I'm sure the Old part is lovely but the new part is 10/10 for luxury and facilities - perfect ni...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ClareA73

Dear ClareA73,

On behalf of the management and staff of Carton House Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with others.

I am delighted to see that you had such a pleasant stay here in Carton House and that you found the time to explore some of the expansive grounds during your stay with us. I have shared your feedback with the team here who will be delighted to see that they helped make your stay such a memorable one. It is great that you got to enjoy both the modern and old world parts of the hotel, the Gold Salon really is a unique setting for a meal and I am glad to see that the food was befitting of the setting.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Carton House very soon and if I can ever be of any assistance to you please feel free to contact me

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed for one night and played the OMeara course, had lunch and evening meal in the Clubhouse bar. Food was excellent and there was agood variety. Stayed in the rooms in the new wing. Ground floor room with opening door to outside. Room was very spacious and of high quality. Check in staff very friendly and willing to help. Played the Montgomerie course the next morning and thoroughly enjoyed the experience

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 60Alan60

Dear 60Alan60,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Carton House Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you had such a positive experience during your stay with us and that you had the opportunity to enjoy the Golf Courses. I have shared your kind comments with the team who will be delighted with the recognition.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future and if I can ever be of any assistance to you please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

These notes refer mainly to the wheelchair accessible aspects of this hotel. For comments on the hotel see the other reviews here posted.

Despite being built long before anyone thought of wheelchair access, the modernization of the hotel has produced a fine hotel with excellent access throughout. Wandering the grounds might present some challenges, but since I did not have time to explore I cannot really comment on that.

Entrance to the hotel lobby is through a modern entrance at the side of the original old house. Access is level through automatic doors. The lobby level, bar and restaurant are all on one level and easily accessible although the distances between them are great. The flooring is mostly hard cover with occasional sections of carpet – easy to traverse in any case. There is a dedicated large accessible toilet near reception.

My room was on the first floor of a modern extension to the old house and had a king bed. The lifts (elevators) are quite a way from the reception, but are large, and my room was very close to the lift.

The room itself was large (very large by Irish hotel standards) and easy to navigate. There is a large, comfortable workdesk and enough room between the desk and bed for my chair (680mm) to pass through with plenty to spare. Power sockets were easy to reach at desk height, as was the desk lamp. The bed was slightly below wheelchair cushion height so transferring was very easy. The bedside lights and room lights had switches by the bed. The air conditioning controls were easy to reach. The TV controls were left by the TV within easy reach.

The closet had no door and was easy to reach and hang clothes on. All storage was accessible.

The bathroom was spacious with easy access to the toilet for a 90 degree or a parallel transfer. A folding handrail from the wall was well positioned. Sink was easy to use with plenty of knee room underneath. There was a roll in shower, with a small sturdy foldable shower seat on the wall. I found balancing on the shower seat a little precarious, but the handrails helped. The shower rose is fixed and protrudes from the wall above the seat giving plenty of coverage although it means there is no way of avoiding the couple of seconds of cold water that runs when you start the shower! The controls were easy to reach. Even at the hottest setting the water temperature was not dangerous although I did not notice any marking to suggest that it was temperature limited. All towels were left within easy reach.

I was attending a business event which utilized meeting rooms in the old house. All the rooms we used were on the ground floor, but I did notice on elevator running up the center of the old stairwell. All rooms we sued were fully accessible and there was an accessible (albeit poorly signposted) toilet nearby. The floors are the original floors and can present occasional hazards to a wheeler with broken stone slabs and so on. But I would not have them any other way – the character of the old house is great and the meeting rooms had a lovely old world, sophisticated feel to them.

Finally, I should mention that the staff were extremely sensitive to my requirements and could not have been more helpful.

The room really had nothing to fault it. Given that, and the excellent service and ambience of the hotel I would strongly recommend it for any wheelie seeking a country “feel” in a location not far from Dublin and Dublin airport. .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank WheelchairTravelNote

Dear WheelchairTravelNote,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to see that you had such a positive experience during your stay with us and I have passed your kind comments onto our staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Carton House in the future and if I can ever be of assistance to you please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed for one night and then lunch next day with friend in coach house restaurant. Stayed in the rooms in the new wing. Ground floor room with opening door to outside. Room was very spacious and of high quality. Got change to view the suites in the house itself, they are what you would expect of such a grand house. Check in staff very friendly and willing to help. Valet parking would be a great addition as had to walk a long way from overflow car park, thankfully was dry day on our visit. The grounds are wonderful and great for walking. Breakfast is in room with large windows overlooking the grounds. Buffet style with excellent choice, as meeting friend for lunch only sampled cold breakfast items. Plenty of lunch options, with the coach house offering a more varied menu. The coach house is only a short stroll from the main house and has lovely outdoor terrace area. Food here was excellent with good service. We will return and would pay the extra to have a suite in the house will also bring our bikes.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms loacated in the extension, if you a room in the house will have to book one of the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Rushe18,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you had such a positive experience with us and that you enjoyed the grounds and facilities on offer here in Carton House.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed in carton house recently and it was just fab.i had bought a deal on line for a one night stay for two people,but as it turned out I had to bring my children with me,sitter let me down.i rang the hotel and they just could not have been nicer they accommodated us all no problem and even apologised that the room maybe small due to adding extra bed,well my gosh the size of the room was huge, bigger than any family room that I have ever stayed in.the extra touches were really very nice ,the bed was so comfy.now breakfast was excellent and such a huge selection of food.the children really enjoyed there stay as it was Easter and egg hunt organised for kids.pool was good didn't get to the spa even though a voucher was included,but I will be back to sample its delights!!! Definately be returning.thank you carton house.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear eastbabe,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you and your family had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us at Easter time and that your children enjoyed the Easter Egg Hunt on the grounds.

I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to Carton House again in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome.

Deputy General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maynooth
The K Club
#1 of 1 in Celbridge
Osprey Hotel
Osprey Hotel
#2 of 5 in Naas

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!