“Little things need attention”

Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maynooth
Dublin, Ireland
“Little things need attention”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed overnight with friends. Hotel is stunning with a beautiful lobby area. Had lunch in the Kitchen Bar as our rooms were not ready. Lunch very good with excellent service. We requested 2 rooms next to each other. Four of us waited in one room which was ready first. Then there was confusion in collecting our key for the 2nd room, they appeared to have allocated it to a different name despite the fact that our credit card had been swiped for it. Sorted quickly by reception but this confusion continued in the Spa when they couldn't find my name and they still had my room in a different name. They assured me they would find my room! Spa treatment was excellent and it is a lovely area with a beautiful relaxation room. We ate in the Clubhouse - food average but again service was excellent. Some of our group had the fish and chips which was very good. Others had Thai red curry which although nice was certainly not Thai curry!!! More like chicken in a cream and tomatoe sauce. We spent a lovely night in the bar/lobby area which was very busy but we were well looked after by very pleasant bar servers. Our rooms were in the new area and were lovely but hot water was at best just warm. We had room service for breakfast in both rooms. While the breakfast was very nicely presented and looked great, everything was cold even the tea!! I brought this to the attention of the staff at check-out and in fairness she apologised and deducted the tray charge from my bill. The earlier confusion over my room continued at check-out when I discovered I had not been billed for my spa treament but my friend in the other room had! Anyway sorted quickly by efficient staff. Overall a beautiful hotel and we had a wonderful stay, just little things need attention.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Bubble56,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. I am sorry that there was confusion over one of the rooms and I have asked my Front Office Manager to follow and see what the cause of the confusion was. I have also shared your feedback on the food in the Club House with our Head Chef who will take it on board and ensure that we improve the Chicken Curry dish.

I am glad that the staff in all of the areas which you visited looked after you so well and I have shared your comments with the team. Hot water is something that we are never short on however the tap controls in the bathrooms, while nice to look at, are a little complicated, our Guest Relations team would have been delighted to assist with this and ensure that the water temperature was as required.

I am sorry that the room service breakfast was not at the correct temperature. We usually receive really positive feedback on our room service standards so it is disappointing to see that we did not deliver on those standards on this occasion.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House in the future and if I can ever be of any assistance to you please feel free to contact me.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed one night only in March however have stayed a number of times before. Am not a huge fan of this hotel despite its excellent location and impressive facade. Check in was quick and friendly. Room was ok. Was impressed that you could view movies for only 1 euro each but the selection was poor. Staff at reception were friendly but that was it. The staff at the spa reception need a serious dose of hospitality training. Not a single smile, terrible eye contact, abrupt and bordering on rude. The seating in the spa reception area is in need of some deep cleaning - cream seats full of stains. However the actual spa treatment was excellent and the therapist was very professional. The actual bar area is very uninviting although there is an area outside in reception that has a lovely welcoming fire. I did enjoy the food very much and felt it was excellent value.As a 4 star hotel I was expecting to have a robe in my bedroom...there was none. However I will accept that I have high standards and expect to get what I pay for. Overall for the price you pay it is acceptable but nothing to be impressed about.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank siobhan999_12
Dear siobhan999_12,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Carton House on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay with us and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail so please do feel free to contact me.

We really do have a fantastic team of staff here in Carton House who consistently receives the most positive of feedback on the friendly, helpful and professional nature so it is very disappointing to read of your experience at the reception of the Spa. I have shared your feedback with our Spa Manager and her team. Poor customer service such as you experienced at the Spa reception is not acceptable and I can assure you that the issue has been addressed and I would like to thank you for bringing it to my attention. We place great emphases on our guests feedback in Carton House as it is through constructive comments such as yours that will enable us to consistently provide the excellent standards of customer care that we have become known for.

I am glad that you enjoyed the spa treatment and other aspects of your stay with us and I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance to you and so that I can personally ensure that you will have a much more positive experience on your next visit.

Lurgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were staying here to attend a friend’s wedding, the room was luxurious and spacious and clean. The hotel itself is lovely and very spacious; it offers a haven if you want to escape, but also you are close enough to Dunboye and Dublin. The wedding was in Dunboye so was ideal distance to and from the church. The attention to detail was brilliant the staff ensured everyone had canapés and champagne at the reception and the food at the wedding reception was gorgeous.

I have stayed in the hotel before and have never left disappointed. The grounds are fantastic for taking a stroll on a good day, I don’t play golf but apparently my fiancé also loves the golf course!!

Would definitely go back again as the standards have never slipped and it’s still as great as the first time I was there but as its pricey would be for an occasion/treat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Unar123
Dear Unar123,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted to see that you both had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us and enjoyed the service standards at the wedding you attended.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Carton House in the near future and if I can ever be of any assistance to you please feel free to contact me.

Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night, 15th March after attending a wedding reception held at Carton House.
Arrived at approx 5 pm and then straight to the reception, left at 11 am the next morning so didn't get to see much but was very impressed with everything that we did see.
Check in and check out we're effortless, the room though not over large was exceptionally clean, very well appointed and contained a beautiful bathroom, lots of marble, separate shower and bath. This place is big, it was a long walk to the room which I expect could become tiresome if you stayed for long. Didn't see the grounds apart from when driving in and out, a long driveway, must be over a mile, through the golf course, very nice though.
The food at breakfast did not disappoint, lots of choice, eat as much as you like and all very fresh, the coffee was very good, always a winner with me.
I would like to add that the wedding reception was very well organised and the food was sublime, I'm sure it cost a lot of money but worth it.
All of the staff that I encountered were helpful and polite.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fishstorm
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed for 1 night in March and will definitely return. Room clean and comfortable. Hotel really beautiful mix of old and new. Excellent breakfast and 20 minutes from Dublin city centre. Ideal for the traveller looking for that extra luxury.
We had an evening meal in the hotel and couldn't fault the food or service. Some if our friends used the pool and spa and were impressed. I travelled into Maynooth(10 mins by car). Nice little town.
All in all an excellent experience!

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Planning a trip back already. Great for a break with a partner kids friends whatever. Rooms are beautiful very clean and contemporary. Staff could not have been more helpful. Food was to a very high standard buffet breakfast and evening meal.

• Stayed March 2013
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed overnight in the four star Carton House early this March, having booked through a 3rd party booking website at €130 (room only). Overall a very good experience for the price.

Check in/Reception:
The reception area/foyer was spacious, clean and welcoming and gives a 4 star impression. Upon arrival at 1530, we were told that our rooms were as yet unavailable, so we were offered a complimentary drink and our luggage was taken care of, which was most appreciated. When ready we are checked in and the reception staff were pleasant, efficient and gave us a full overview of the hotel facilities (apart from where the leisure centre was). Many 4 star hotels (some of which I have reviewed here) could learn a thing or two from this hotel in terms of service levels.

Rooms:
Rooms were spotlessly clean, well appointed and comfortable. We had a corner room with a balcony overlooking a roof and some of the grounds. Not the most picturesque, but you can't have it all, and we were not there to gaze out of the bedroom window. However, one thing that I found strange and in need to attention was the 3 dozen paving slabs stored on the balcony outside the room. I have no idea why they needed to be there and frankly they would be a danger to children, but this is easily resolved. Regardless of this, the beds were comfortable, and the room was well up to standard.

Bar:
The main bar was located in, what was the kitchen of the old house, with kitchen fire and stoves still in place. To be frank, it was a little lacking in atmosphere, but then again this seems to be a failing in almost all hotel bars. Notwithstanding that, the service was excellent, and we spent plenty of time there, so it must have good.

Leisure Centre:
The Gym is very well equipped with full weight sets, resistance equipment, treadmills, bikes and the rest. The 18m pool is clean, bright and very well maintained (again, something from other 4 star hotels to learn from). Sauna, Jacuzzi and steam room were also excellent. There is also a snooker room in the hotel, which needs attention. For a start; new cues, get rid of the broken (or turned off) gaming machines and hide the electrical trunking, as well as a general tidy up

Food:
None tried, but menus looked great

Miscellaneous:
The hotel is on two golf courses, one designed by Monty, and the other by O'Meara. As I was on a night away with my good lady wife, I didn't get the opportunity to partake, but having hosted the Irish Open and the amateur championships, they won't be too shabby. The grounds are ideal for walkers and there are a number of running routes that you can be shown, which I must say is a welcome feature for any hotel of this kind. The old house part of the hotel (where the suites are) is what you expect, but it feels very much separate from the hotel, and not at all well integrated. while the hotel is well maintained, I feel that there is a very slight deficit of attention to detail. Crooked lamps in the foyer, paving slabs on the bedroom balcony, Broken door stops in the bedroom bathrooms, a water leak stain in the corridor from reception to the main bedrooms, tidiness of the snooker room (as above), and a reception area and wood panelling that is starting to date are very minor, but noticeable things that don't take from a very good experience in the hotel, but may be the very thin edge of the wedge.

Summary,
I would recommend wholeheartedly. A Great stay in lovely hotel, and with a tiny amount of attention to detail, it would get an excellent rating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maynooth
The K Club
Osprey Hotel & Spa
Celbridge Manor Hotel
Celbridge Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Celbridge

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!