“Quality service”

Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maynooth
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed in this hotel last week for three nights at a wedding reception and found the location and hotel grounds extremely well kept.
The rooms we had were in a very quiet area of the wedding or function wing.
The room was of a good size and clean with direct access onto the splendid grounds.
All the maid service staff were happy and very obliging .
We ate all three days in the hotel and golf club where on all occasions the service and food were of an excellent standard.
The staff at check in we're all friendly and helpful especially Lauren.
I would have no hesitation in recomending this hotel and hope to stay there soon again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Niall M
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Niall M,

On behalf of the management and staff of Carton House Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with others.

We have a great team here in Carton House who are always eager to ensure that our guests have a comfortable and memorable stay with us. I have shared your comments with Lauren and the team who will be delighted with the recognition.

We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon and if I can ever be of any assistance to you please feel free to contact me.

Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,729)

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Attended a wedding here which i was looking forward to but can only say how disappointing the experience was. While the hotel is picture perfect for photos etc that's where the perfection ends. Having attended the food tasting for the menu choice some time back, which was really nice I was looking forward to more of the same, but unfortunately the consistency between the menu tasting and actual meal on the day didn't happen. The meal was very average and considering prices charged here not really acceptable service was terribly slow with at least 20 - 30 minute wait between courses (that was after each course was cleared) No special attention given to the top table which would be normal and and the appearance of what I assume was a manager left a lot to be desired. I overheard two other guests make a complaint re the service and he just shrugged his shoulders. Though the bathrooms nearest the venue were clean several of the cubicles had no toilet paper I brought this to the attention of two separate staff members but on leaving that evening this hadn't been rectified. Overall Carton House us surviving on a reputation it once had but has certainly lost. Very average with a couldn't care less attitude wouldn't recommend or return as Ireland has a lot better hotels to offer at more reasonable prices

• Stayed: October 2012
8  Thank Ladonna M

Dear Margaret D,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

It is disappointing to see that your experience was not a positive one. Please accept my sincere apologies for any shortcoming in service which you may have experienced on this occasion.
It is most unusual for us to get such negative feedback and I would welcome the opportunity of discussing it in person with you to ensure that I can follow up on my end and give our team the opportunity to improve in any areas of weakness that you may have encountered during your stay with us.

I would like to assure you that we have received extremely positive and complimentary feedback from all of our Brides & Grooms and their families so we have been unable to identify which wedding you were a guest at. We have not had a single complaint about the food quality or standard of service at any wedding reception which we have hosted so I am keen to speak with you so that I can get some details on the date of the wedding you attended.

Our dedicated team are our greatest asset and really do work hard to ensure that we consistently provide a warm welcome and professional service and we are genuinely disappointed that you did not enjoy these standards during your stay with us. We enjoy a fantastic reputation which continues to be enhanced week after week through the dedication of our team and the consistency of our product offering and excellent standards of service throughout the hotel and estate.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback which I look forward to having the opportunity of discussing with you so that I can identify when and where any errors were made. You can contact me by calling the hotel on 01-5052000 alternatively you can email me on bbowler@cartonhouse.com.

Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a friends wedding over the weekend. Location of hotel is beautiful, really stunning. We were greated on reception by a lovely girl, foreign, didnt get her name but she was very friendly. We booked 2 twin rooms for €180 per room. There were a further 3 double rooms booked by our work party.Rooms were fine, nothing amazing but were very clean. Staff at wedding reception werent overly friendly, didn't ask if we wanted more food or if we were ok etc. wedding reception room was beautifully decorated & set a lovely atmosphere. After wedding we (8 of us) went to the Residents Bar. Male bar staff really weren't friendly, it was as though we were an unconvenience by asking for a drink. They were very young staff with awful attitude. We only had two drinks & were then asked to move out to lobby. We were denied glasses of water as bar was closed, staff weren't nice when refusing to serve us. Next morning, breakfast really wasn't great. 6 of us sat for breakfast together & no one was very impressed with hot Buffett & speed of service for tea & toast. Overall, beautiful location, staff not great & breakfast very average. Won't be rushing back.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Niamh G
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Niamh G,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am very disappointed to see that you were not completely satisfied with your experience when staying with us. I have passed your feedback on to our Bar Manager and we have discussed it with the team. I can assure you that we have taken your feedback very seriously and will ensure that there is never a repeat of such unacceptable service standards in our Residents Bar. We really do have a great team here in the hotel and the Kitchen Bar and they would love to welcome you back in the near future so that they will have the opportunity to show you that your recent experience was a one off and not at all reflective of our usual high standards of service and customer care.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We landed Dublin at 0730 following 16 hours in transit from Seattle. We knew we didn't want to go far and Carton House is only 30 or so minutes west of DUB.
Upon arrival we were graciously allowed early check-in, freshened up and took a couple of fabulous walks on extensive grounds. We are not golfers but these courses are pristine and an absolute pleasure to view.
Our room was spacious and the bed was devine. Moving in and out was easy with the provided lift.
Dinner and breakfast (they have a package) were extremely fine and the service was prompt. Actually the breakfast (classic Irish) would keep me going all day and did.
One more thing: explore the adjacent old manor during your stay. There are some very nice discoveries there!

Room Tip: The superior double will not leave you wishing for more.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear hopkinssjh,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us and I have passed your comments on to the team here in the hotel.
The Original part of the hotel is really special and I am delighted that you found time to explore both the house and the wonderful grounds here in Carton Demesne.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Carton House again in the near future.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Loved the location and setting - large spacious room looking out onto the gardens and golf course. We used the hotel for a group get together for about 30 of us and had a great meal, company and over all very enjoyable evening and stay. Breakfast served right through to noon on Sunday was perfect after a late night. Would return!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Jane L,

We are delighted to see that you all had such an enjoyable stay with us. The extended breakfast until noon on Sundays really does add to the leisurely Sunday morning feel in the hotel and means that you can still have a lie in and not miss out on our great breakfast buffet.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at some time in the future and if I can ever be of any assistance to you please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Two great golf courses but not for the faint hearted.
The hotel however is over complicated in the plumbing dept. Having to refer to an instruction book before taking a shower or bath is daft and the system is counter intuitive. Lighting in the otherwise comfortable bedroom is poor and for the ladies trying to put on make up, unacceptably poor.

Room Tip: ask for some extra lighting and read the plumbing handbook!
2  Thank Gordon H

Dear Gordon H,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to see that you had the opportunity to play on both of our Championship Golf Courses, we are really looking forward to hosting the Irish Open next June.

I am sorry that you found both the shower and bath difficult to operate and hope that the brief note in our Guest Directory was helpful. I have passed your comments about the lighting in our bathrooms on to our Accommodation Manager and Maintenance Team to see if any adjustments need to be made. We would be happy to provide extra lighting on request at any time.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House again in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome and please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed in Carton House for our wedding anniversary and had a great time. Dinner in the Linden Tree restaurant was fabulous. Goats cheese starters were followed by fillet of steak for herself while I tried the guinea fowl. What I got on the plate seemed very small but was filling nonetheless. both dishes were superb. We finished with a shared cheese board which complimented the entire dinner. This hotel is luxury at its best. B and B plus evening dinner for two cost 250 euros, not cheap by any standards but well worth it for that special occasion.

Room Tip: A room in the old part of the hotel is very romantic. We even had a 4 poster bed.

Dear dcotter1953,

I am delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us and in particular enjoyed the food and service in our Linden Tree Restaurant. The ambience of the suites in the old house really does make the stay that bit extra special and we always receive such positive feedback on how unique they are.

Deputy General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maynooth
The K Club
13 mi away
Osprey Hotel
Osprey Hotel
#3 of 5 in Naas

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!