Review Highlights
Staying and playing golf

My wife and I were staying in the hotel and playing 2 rounds of golf. The first day we played the... read more

Reviewed August 21, 2018
Director777
Coleraine, United Kingdom
via mobile
Beautiful hotel

Reviewed August 15, 2017
Claire G
via mobile

All reviews beautiful hotel pro shop great courses lovely grounds clubhouse bunker montgomery carton montgomerie condition tee shot buggy championship relaxation grass ball
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

One of the most unpleasant experiences I’ve ever had on a golf course. Placing / depth and sheer number of bunkers combined with hard packed or no sand made it a slog from 1st to 18th hole. Never again!

Reviewed August 21, 2018 via mobile

Didn’t play golf so can only comment on food and service. Three staff behind bar area, not too busy, sat for five minutes at least before approaching bar to ask do I need to order at the bar, ‘no you don’t, we can come to the table’ - Well why didn’t you so?!

Lunch was boring, contents of sandwich so cold they hurt my teeth, missing an ingredient listed on menu description. Have previously found food here underwhelming but gave it another chance as it had been a while. Won’t return.

Reviewed August 21, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I were staying in the hotel and playing 2 rounds of golf.
The first day we played the Omeara course which was very good and excellent greens.
The second day we played the Montgomery course which again was in good condition, particularly the greens. Being resort courses they have kept the grass relatively short with short semi rough which was great for finding the ball but at times both off the tee and for second shots fairways were not easily distinguished with little definition to the fairways.
The Montgomery course has more bunkers than any course I have encountered in Europe and USA , secondly the bunkers are very deep with some green side bunkers up to 2 metres deep. As single handicap golfer these were manageable but a lot of golfers and ladies would find these not only difficult but unfair. My partner would happily have retired at the 9th!
We were also disappointed that although staying in the hotel we were still charged €40 for buggies.
Despite a luxury hotel the golf clubhouse bar was more akin to a transport cafe and not what I would have expected. We had coffees and moved on.

Reviewed June 17, 2018

Lovely Hotel All Staff were very helpful and polite we ate from the bar food menu and food was lovely the breakfasts were amazing especially the omelletes would highly recommend this Hotel and will be back soon Thankyou everyone in The Carton for our lovely stay

Reviewed March 1, 2018 via mobile

Stayed in carton house on Sunday night and played the O Meara course on Sunday and Montgomery on Monday on a deal that cost 85 euro per person , easily the best value golf break I have ever found.

Even though the weather was bitterly cold the golf was very enjoyable . The golf courses were in immaculate condition . The O Meara is a beautiful tree lined parkland course with spectacular scenery , lots of water features including a spectacular waterfall , beautiful greens and immaculately looked after . I would love to return and play this course in summertime .
The Montgomery is a lincs style course again immaculately looked after with hard fast greens and lots of huge cavernous bunkers . The bunkers though punishing are a joy to play from with perfect soft sand .
I would imagine this course would be more difficult in summertime when the hay grows up in the rough and again I would love to return in the summertime to try this course again.
I would say carton house is easily the best golf resort I have played in Ireland by a country mile , I have played both courses in the K club where the Smurfit course was the very poor relation being poorly looked after and also Druids glen where the heath is the poor relation and not worth the money.
Both courses at Carton House though are world class.

The service was exceptional and every member of staff we met in both golf club and hotel were polite and friendly . The breakfast was delicious with plenty of variety and meals in the clubhouse were also very good , though my only complaint would be that the portion of the bangers and mash was on the small side but definitely the tastiest I have ever had.
I have read some reviews which say the meals are a bit pricy and they are compared to your local club but this is a very impressive five star resort with truly world class golf courses and impeccable service and as five star goes it is very reasonably priced.

We had a truly great weekend and would love to return again.

If you want to give yourself a special treat then definitely visit Carton House

2  Thank Jimmy O
Reviewed December 22, 2017 via mobile

The most amazing golf courses you will ever find in Ireland. It’s also the people that makes a difference. Highly recommend for business team building or just relaxation over a weekend. It’s so rich in history and a place that you will remember forever.

1  Thank Nidnid1955
Reviewed October 4, 2017 via mobile

Beautiful course . But it was too booked and very slow.. took us 3 hours to play 9holes so we came in. Our sat nav wouldn't work on the buggy.. no one seemed to care when we came in !

1  Thank Pegtim
Reviewed September 22, 2017 via mobile

2 great courses!! We played both as part of a deal offered by the hotel. The Montgomerie Course is a championship course, but O'Meara is the winner!

1  Thank 740spd
Reviewed September 8, 2017 via mobile

Nice menu and the salmon was wonderful. Check out the history of the place too. The scenic view is very easy on the eyes.

Reviewed August 15, 2017 via mobile

Beautiful hotel lovely clean rooms. Definitely would suit golfers/ spa weekend/ couples etc not that suitable for families with young children though as there isn't much to do. Lovely grounds for walkers and golfers and a nice swimming pool. Definitely more suited for an adult break.