“Perfect Pizza”

Donatello’s Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 41 Restaurants in Maynooth
Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Twenty years ago, Donatello Ristorante was the first restaurant in Maynooth and for two decades it's acted as a community hub for everyone in the town. Now the family run business are celebrating their launch 20th anniversary by re-launching their business under a new name La Maison Donatello . With a refurbished interior and new modern French and Italian fusion menu, La Maison Donatello is already proving to be a restaurant worthy of a detour. Gone are the tables clothes and old menu, replaced by a much more modern and comfortable feel along with a regular changing menu and fantastic daily specials. Head Chef Antonio Cascella is now merging French & Italian cuisine with innovative cooking techniques that are built firmly on the foundations of the classics. A new French chef, Magali Blosson has also brought her Michelin star experience to the kitchen where she will be working alongside Antonio. The Cascella family come from a rich family history of restaurateurs. Antonio's grandfather entered the business in the 1930 while relatives own restaurants in Miami , the Dominican Republic , New York & Sicily. Nowadays his three daughters are all working in his restaurants and have brought their own individual flair. Simply put, food is in the Cascella's blood. Antonio, along with his wife Valerie, showcase their passion for food and hospitality as soon as you come through the door. An open kitchen fills the dining room with mouth watering aromas while an elegant decor creates a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere. A similar characteristic that is also on show at the Cascella's other restaurant - Picaderos. Their sister-restaurant which specialises in fusing Spanish and Latin has only been open for one year, but thanks to their impressive menu and authentic food, customers have been flocking there ever since. Seeing the success that Picaderos had as a fusion restaurant, Valerie and Antonio decided to call upon their own culinary expertise and introduce new offerings into La Maison Donatello. Magali brought some of her own skilful recipes, but other gems came from Cascella family recalling food experiences they had while eating abroad. Valerie & Antonio, along with their three daughters love their food and enjoy eating in the world's best restaurants. They have learnt a lot from these trips and are now bringing some of their best ideas back. However, not everything has changed in La Maison Donatello, they have stayed loyal to the way they source their food. Whether it's from their own garden or neighbouring farmers, Valerie intends to continue to feed the community with local produce and support the Maynooth economy while she does it. The Cascella's have a little plot of land where they harvest seasonal ingredients for the restaurant such as wild rockets, garlic and a variety of berries. They also supply the restaurant with produce from local farmers in Kildare while their guineas fowl, rabbit, chicken and pheasant are all sourced locally too. The community touch can also be seen with the paintings that adorn the newly furbished walls of Donatello Ristorante. A variety of works by the late Vincent Doyle , a well known and local artist, really add a homely sense to the modern restaurant. Thanks to this welcoming atmosphere, locals have chosen the restaurant for a variety of events since the day it opened. So whether it is a christening, graduation or birthday, La Maison Donatello can cater for anyone. Guest can now sample a new range of delicious dishes that take a modern approach to classical French and Italian cuisine. For example, they can pick from braised wild venison with pearl barley, celeriac and autumnal vegetable to Italian styled fresh sea bream with langoustine bisque, fennel puree and samphire sea asparague served with Clogherhead crab, Once you sample the new menu and enjoy the comfortable surrounds that the Cascella family have to offer, you will soon find yourself amongst the many loyal regulars. So you best book a table soon because there is no better time to visit Donatello Ristorante.
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is just the perfect restaurant. I've had most of the dishes on the menu at some stage or another and never been disappointed. The staff are friendly and the food is great.

3  Thank Grundy63
There are newer reviews for Donatello’s Restaurant

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We've been to this restaurant a couple of times and found it to be really good and would recommend it. It's a small place, tucked in off the main street in Manooth. There's plenty of seating outside if the weather is good as well

3  Thank Deano67
Reviewed December 10, 2011

My wife and I decided to eat out on Friday and made our way to this restaurant.
It was an extremely cold evening which made me wonder why I saw a switched off heater when we sat down. I noticed that other customers were still wearing there coats and scarves. As my wife and I were quite hungry we decided to try to give the place a chance.
To start I ordered the anti pasti with no salad and my wife ordered the prawns in filo pastry. We got our starters after 25 - 30 minutes of waiting. There was approximately 4 other customers in the restaurant, what added to this disappointment was when I received the anti pasti I had ordered with no side salad it arrived with all the trimmings, when I told the waiter what my order was he was quite hesitant to take it away. When he returned he apologised about the mix up he informed me that he had told the chef my order was with no side salad but the chef had chosen to ignore my wishes as he felt it looked better. This was extremely annoying.
I then asked the waiter for some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, the waiter then went to the adjacent table and asked the lady who was sat there if she had finished with hers, she told the waiter she had not received her food yet and would need it. I'm not entirely sure what the remainder of the exchange was but we got our Olive oil and vinegar.
My wife was under the impression that her prawns in filo pastry came from a tesco box.
My anti pasti was ent bad with the exception of the chorizo which was cut way to thick.
For our mains my wife ordered lasagne and I ordered spaghetti olio, while we were waiting I went to the bath room, upon my return my wife had received her main course but I noticed mine was not there. My wife informed me that in my absence the waiter had brought me spaghetti pesto which I had not ordered, he had gone to inform the chef and prepare my order, ad we waited I tasted my wife's lasagne, at first taste it was clear the outside was extremely hot and the centre only warm which led me to believe it had been heated in a microwave. Unnexceptable.
When my main arrived the spaghetti was not al dente and lacked overall flavour. My wife's lasagne tasted extremely processed, either it came from a packet preprepared (m and s or telco) or the bologness filling came from a tin. It did not taste like it wad origninally prepared.
The presentation of both mains was extremely messy.
I was shocked to see the bill amounting to 53 for two starters, two mains, sauted potatoes and a diet coke.
This is an absolutely discracefull restaurant unnecessarily overpriced which brings bad quality food.
On our way out my wife and I spotted atleast six cats, which tells me the establishment may have extreme hygiene issues.
I felt that paying for what I got was the equivalent of getting mugged at gun point.

AVOID AT ALL COST

4  Thank Jplc
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We stopped off for an overnight in Maynooth, Kildare and walked the main street for a place to eat. Donatello's caught our noses and eyes... lovely smell and cosy layout. A family run establishment serving fairly authentic Italian fare. Short wine list but great atmosphere. Only negative was the speed of service, this time too fast. I popped the last forkful in my mouth and a waiter appeared saying "everything alright sir" couldn't speak in reply!!! It was busy, it was Friday night but hey! give us time to swallow.

1  Thank PaulKernan
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Went for a family meal to Donatellos last Tuesday and had a lovely night. There were 9 of us so we all had various starters, mains and some deserts. The food here was very good, I had the mozzeralla and tomatoe salad and then a delicious pizza. Everyone thought the food was wonderful, no complaints at all. Staff here are excellent, very efficient but not intrusive. Overall a very pleasant night, it was my first visit but definitely not my last.

1  Thank cityslickerruth