All reviewsdiamond hilltowels were providedensuite roomlovely villagegreat musiclate checkseafood chowderpleasant staywalking distancetwo nightslodgeconnemarairelandpubsluxurymollysfireplace
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We stayed in Letterfrack Lodge while on a road trip thru Galway and Clare. Location is superb, a quick stumble from the crossroads in Letterfrack, which has several pubs and restaurants.

When we arrived we had trouble locating Mike, who was out back, and frankly we missed having someone at the front desk to answer the usual simple questions any guest would have when arriving. We noticed another couple arriving later, were also disconcerted at this, and I actually ended up helping them to get settled !

However, that said, the place is very well equipped, with a large number of sizeable rooms. Ours had an ensuite bathroom. The upstairs kitchen and living room area was more than adequate., and I am a huge fan of the National Geographics ! The breakfast was just what we needed. There were some nice maps and tip-sheets in all the rooms and common areas, and these added to the atmosphere: this is an excellent base for touring the surrounding area: very close to Diamond Hill, Mount Tully and Kylemore Abbey. A bus will get you to the ferry to Inishbofin. I have a feeling that this place might be a bit better for groups than for couples looking for more quiet. There were several groups of travellers there, from different countries and they seemed to be having a good time.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Letterfrack is an excellent strategic place to visit Connemara!
the hostel is great, plenty of room, the common rooms are spacious and very clean!
The ensuite rooms are very confortable (no bed side lamps) and clean!
The only problem is that you can hear everything especially your neighbours' showers and flushes... so come with ear plugs and then take benefit of the magnificent area and all the information given by Mike the owner, who is not so talkative and welcoming as I thought before arriving, a pity.
Anyway, I'll recommand this place!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I spent 6 days in the hostel with my 19 years old daughter in July 2009. It was the best hostel we have encountered during our two weeks trip to Western Ireland. The hostel was very clean, the breakfast (included in the accommodation price - 30 E/per person - en suite room) was quite good. The hostel is located in Letterfrack, a smal and wodnerfull village in the foothills of sharp shape and rocky Diamond Hill, and near the entrance to the Connemara National Park. Very nice host infoms you (in details) about most attractive touristic objects located in the region, including half-day excursion to the top of Diamond Hill, and whole day excursion to the highest peak of Benna Beola (12 Pins) Mountain Chain (non-path mountain trek). General impression: excellent hostel, nice host, "five stars". Author's e-mail: slawomir@aga.img-pan.krakow.pl.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Okay, it says "luxury budget accomodation", but as they've got double rooms ensuite I expected something similar to a B&B, but it's not.
We paid 60euros per room and night excl. breakfast (continental breakfast is 5 euros extra p.p.). I'd rather spend 10 Euros more on a proper B&B and get a full Irish breakfast, a TV, towels and matching non-faded bed sheets.
However, it was clean and staff was very friendly. Kitchen has got all you need (even a dishwasher), so you can prepare your own breakfast or dinner.
I'd recommand it though to backpackers and other travellers who don't expect too much comfort.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I am just back in Miami after a 3 week vacation in Ireland and Northern Ireland with my partner and this was definitely the best value for money place we stayed in on our whole trip. Mike, the owner is a hoot, a real nice guy with of loads of information on the surrounding area that you won't find in the travel guides. We only intended on staying for 1 night but ended up staying for 3 as the area is so beautiful !. There are lots of secluded beaches and walks as well as great hiking in the mountains. He even gave us walking sticks and a laminated map for free. The en-suite room we stayed in was clean and spacious with a great pressure hot shower, the kitchen areas are large and well equipped. Overall I’d highly recommend staying at Letterfrack Lodge for anyone travelling to the West of Ireland. Thanks Mike and staff. We hope to be seeing you guys again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple