All reviewsdiamond hilltowels were providedensuite roomlovely villagegreat musiclate checkseafood chowderpleasant staywalking distancetwo nightslodgeconnemarairelandpubsluxurymollysfireplace
Reviewed September 6, 2011

A group of us stayed in the hostel in September for 3 nights. This is a fine building with a great room configuration for all kinds of couples or groups. It is just a two minute walk from Letterfrack village which has 3 good pubs, a nice cafe, a very nice restaurant or two and a fabulous supermarket that stocks ABSOLUTELY everything.

We stayed in a number of rooms of varying sizes and bed configuration. Most of the rooms seem to have an en suite bathroom with sink, toiliet and shower cubicle. Surprisingly - towels are provided, but no toiletries, so bring your own.

The living room is cosy and has a large TV and fireplace with lots of books and games to borrow. The kitchen is well kitted out, though the two cookers are aging somewhat now and could do with replacing. The dining room has seats for about 20 people.

I had a few issues with this place, but in fact we enjoyed our visit to stunning Connemara so much that the few issues didn't really interfere with our enjoyment.

However, there is one issue that I must vent on. When we booked we agreed on a price (verbally) with the manager. On Checking out, he had bumped it up by 2 euro per person per night. I thought this was very unprofessional. It was not a question of the Euro increase it was more a case of the rate being changed after it was agreed. We did have to remind the manager about this and he relented, but I did feel it was a cheap shot on his behalf, and it was embarrassing for me on checking out.
My tip to you is if you agree a rate with the manager on the phone, follow it up with an email confirming the rate and then bring that email with you.

When in Letterfrack make sure that you climb nearby Diamond Hill. It is spectacular and is a farily easy 3 hour up/down hike on a very obvious path. You can access Diamond Hill from the hostel. No need for cars.
I also recommend that you walk around the education complex itself, which was the home to a controversial industrial school in the past. The on site church is very poignant with a very emotional sculpture dedicated to 'the boys' of Letterfrack

Discovery Series Map no. 37 is the perfect accompaniment for your trip to Letterfrack and the beautiful surrounding area.

Enjoy

Room Tip: Agree a price with manager first by phone and email and bring a copy of the email with you.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bryno
Reviewed August 5, 2011

we stayed here for 3nights. we paid 25e pp (without breakfast) which was excellence for us because it was august bank holiday and prices in dog friendly places where high
there is big dining room and kitchen (you can cook for yourself)
big supermarket is 1minute away (walk)
living room with TV (no fire place)
connemara national park is 1minute away (by car)
kylemore abbey 5minutes away (by car)
best place to have breakfast " the bread basket", 10e and excellence coffe!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2010

My wife and I..my daughter with son and husband and two relatives from America had the great misfortune of having to spend a night here. It is a dirty..filthy place , smelly and in a shocking state of disrepair..the outside simply a junkyard. How on earth this place could be "Recommended by the Irish Tourist Board" is beyond me. I am 73 years old and have visited Ireland many,many times...thankfully with the best of care and friendlyness...I strongly suggest you remove this unspeakable dump from your books.
I would like to have your comments...
Also the staff (1 young lady) unfriendly....We were not even able to get as much as cup coffee in the morning...(no staff and too much filth in the kitchen)
Tom Baker
tom.sig@hotmail.de

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank tom_sig
letterfracklodge1, Owner at Connemara National Park Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2010

It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you had to write such
a harsh and untrue review about the hostel.
I remember meeting you and your party and trying my best to accommodate your needs during your one night
stay with us. Breakfast is available each morning and was available on the morning you were departing but you told me you were in a hurry.
The unfriendly staff member you refered to may have appeared unfriendly towards your party but you had upset her so much she called me to deal with you as she had had enough abuse.
We are assessed by the Irish tourist board every year and have been since opening. The junkyard you were refering to is a new wall we are building to add to the property and part of an landscaping plan, an actual requirement by the irish tourist board.
We are glad of people reviews, both positive and negative points, so that we can improve and offer a better service but harsh
untrue comments are hurtful and unnecessary.
Mike laffey - owner

Reviewed July 29, 2010

its a hostel avery fine hostel.
we stayed in a family room with one double bed and a bunk bed, en suite.
very clean - for a hostel.
kitchen/common room has everything you need.
location is very good. letterfrack is nice village near beach, mountains,
there are few bars and eating places , shops, playground and nice walks.

not the cheapest for a hostel but we didnt want to stay the other (proper hippy type)hostel in the village and its just our way.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank hihiromi
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I turned up here on a recent Sunday evening after making a booking the day before, I rang ahead at 5 to ensure that 'Mike' would be there at 8 when I arrived. When I did arrive at 8.00 I rang the owner/manager only for him to tell me that he was drinking (drunk?) in the pub100 yards away, and could I possibly book into that hostel instead.... an utter disgrace,

To my horror I found a couple from New Zealand staying in my second hostel (the Bard's Den) who had exactly the same experience that night.

I wouldn't know what this place is like to acutally stay in as the owner/manager couldn't be bothered to let me in. 0 stars.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo