“A perfect family getaway”

Rosleague Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Letterfrack
Reviewed May 13, 2010

The whole family (3 generations) travelled to Rosleague Manor for a weekend celebration for my parents' birthdays, and we could not have picked a better destination. The weekend was a surprise for my parents, and the hotel staff went out of their way to make the weekend memorable and special - from the fabulous room they gave Mum and Dad to the gorgeous birthday cake that was brought in after dinner. Rosleague is a really special place, and is somewhere that we intend going back to as often as we can.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
MarkLetterfrack, Owner at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and your kind words about Rosleague, we feel that as a Historic House that it is a little different from most normal Hotels and are very happy that you enjoyed its charms.
Glad we managed to keep it a surprise for your parents, they seemed to really enjoy having you all there for the weekend.
We hope you get a chance to return soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2010

Well I first visited Rosleague many many years and we could be desribed as regulars but our Easter break was superb!
We ended up having ten for dinner celebrating the baby's 23rd birthday (what a cake she nearly decided put her whole head in the icecream). Granny loved it, very relaxing a home from home and though in her mid 80's manged long walks on the fabulous beeches and in the National Park.
The piece de resistence was though to discover other family(s) and groups trying to book at the same time so our dogs could meet with theirs, now thats special. A warm friendly and effcient place and as long as we can keep getting room 16 they will see us again and again. Pity they got rid of the old bath/jacussi even though it did not work mind you replacing it with a huge thing in the centre of the (our) completly refurbished bathroom is fanastic

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for the very kind review, lovely to see you again with all the family this time, glad Granny enjoyed it and I'm sure Madra & Pooch loved all the attention.
Looking forward to seeing you back at Rosleague in the not too distant future.

Reviewed May 5, 2010

Rosleague needs to pull up its socks to compete with the many hotels dotted around Ireland.
I have stayed in Rosleague twice over the last 8 years. The first time I stayed in one of the rooms at the front of the house, which a lovely staircase led up to and at that time the charm of the hotel was very evident. Although it was somewhat tired this didnt take away from a lovely experience. This time I stayed at the back of the house up a dreadful, dirty staircase and in a very tired room. Although the food was very good, the public areas and the rooms are shabby. Also the constant stream of dogs running through the house and into bedrooms mad we wonder how clean the rooms can really be (and I have a dog, albeit one who stays outside and in the kitchen) I wont stay again but would consider visiting for a meal

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Regularstayer
MarkLetterfrack, Owner at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2010

Thank you for your review, we welcome all feedback but we are dissappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
I regret that you did not like the room you stayed in on this occasion, a lot of our regulars request to stay in the same room on their return, if we had been made aware of your preference for another room on this occasion we would have been more than happy to arrange this for you.
Since your stay 8 years ago, as part of our continued renovations we have added a new conservatory/bar which gets continual praise, both Drawing Rooms have been refurbished and just this past Winter the Dining Room has had a spruce up including replacing all the floors, carpet and being painted from top to bottom, we have however kept the Antique furniture as we feel it is an integral part of the history of the House.
In relation to you encountering dogs in the House during your stay, I have no defence.
I live in an apartment at the back of the House along with my 2 dogs Ruben and Major. They are 2 big softies so they can occasionally be seen in the hallways around reception or out in the gardens, but I can assure you that they never set foot in the Dining Room or Bedrooms.
We are a pet friendly House and as such do have a couple of rooms suitable for this purpose, I have to say these rooms have become more and more popular each year and some of our most loyal regulars are delighted to be able to bring along their beloved pets. This is of course done on the basis that they are well behaved and have their own bedding.
Unfortunately I cannot promise to remove the offending animals or decline other dogs that have up until now been most welcome. What I can say is that our Housekeepers work very hard to keep the House in order and obviously the pet friendly rooms are given particular attention.
I am glad you enjoyed the food and found all the staff so friendly, we hope to see you back at Rosleague for Dinner in the future.

Reviewed May 3, 2010

We organised a stay here for my spouse's birthday. After much searching and checking up online, we settled on Rosleague for the Connemara leg of our trip. The Connemara region is breathtaking and offers spectacular views and vistas. We arrived at Rosleague with great anticipation, my wife telling me in the car that the website was gorgeous and we were in for a treat. The website may be gorgeous, but the reality is a let-down. What some reviewers have called country house charm should not be confused with what we experienced: tired appearance, very worn furniture, stained carpets, etc. After putting down our bags, we were already contemplating cancelling our second night and going somewhere else immediately.

In fairness (not just sour grapes!), the cooking is splendid, dinner and breakfast were top-notch (though the furniture in the dining room seemed rickety/wobbly).

There were some things any visitor would be shocked to see. Stroll to the 'bluebell' walk and apple orchard, and you'll see where everything just gets dumped? Bedspreads and carpets with dark stains? While we're no great TV-watchers and the beauty of the landscape is what drew us, might as well take away the mini-boxes as they're a joke.

NB - No doubt from reading prior reviews, Mark Foyle will write a detailed response to our points, trying to talk them away one-by-one. However, we are certain we weren't the first ones taken in by an impressive website and favourable Trip advisor reviews which far exceed the 'real' experience. Dear Mr Foley, please don't respond to us, unless it's to say 'thanks for the feedback, we'll take it all on board and improve for your next visit'.

We're not asking for luxury accommodation, but rather a clean, tidy, fresh feeling and looking country hotel. The garden, natural beauty of the view and surroundings, and kitchen will do the rest. However, my suggestion to the owner: dig deeper into your pocket and renovate in one go, not piecemeal. That's what a proper 4-star hotel does!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank xilofono
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Although this review will be a tad biased, my wife and I just wanted to comment on what was an amazing venue for our wedding. Mark and his team put on such a great weekend for us to celebrate our wedding with a 100 of our closest friends and families.

The review below is obviously from one of our guests - and she is totally right about the wonderful setting, food, hospitality and overall specialness of Rosleague Manor. Despite the Icelandic volcano (which made it very hard for our brilliant guests to get to Ireland from the UK (but they all did it somehow!!)) Mark and his team were not phased by late arrivals, changing numbers of guests and general disarray. The team at Rosleague were wonderful and all of our guests said how helpful, attentive and nice they were. The BBQ the next day (where we had just as many guests as at the wedding) was also fantastic with steak, salmon and monk fish - a far cry from your ordinary burnt sausage and burger!

However, please do not think this is just a good placce to get married. Rosleague is a wonderful venue for a short (or long) stay in beautiful Connemara with fantastic rooms and truly tasty and well thought-out and presented local food. My wife is originally from the area and I am so pleased she has introduced me to it.

I really cannot recommend Rosleague Manor highly enough. All our guests fell in love with the place as my wife and I did when we first visited it looking for a suitable wedding venue.

Thanks again to Mark and his team for a memorable weekend.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TMB1980
MarkLetterfrack, Owner at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write, its nice that one of your unbiased guests got in there ahead of you.
You guys were blessed with the weather and also some truly great friends.
My abiding memory of the wedding will be that it happened on the weekend the Icelandic Volcano erupted, causing havoc with flights across Europe and still something like 42 out of 44 of the Uk guests managed to make their way here, the lady who travelled for 48 hours overland and sea from Switzerland was a particular hero.
It made looking after you both, along with your Friends & Family that much more enjoyable, everyone seemed to have an amazing story about how they got here.
I wish you both every happiness and look forward to seeing you back at Rosleague in the future.

Reviewed April 22, 2010

My only hesitation in writing this glowing review is that if Rosleague gets as famous as it deserves will it stay as great as it is?

Just back from a family wedding there. As a venue for the service it was ideal. We were a wedding party of 100 or so, so some of us did have to overflow outside the conservatory wedding area but the weather was great so this wasn't an issue - I'm not sure if it would have been on a rainy day but I don't think so as we all happily partied the night away in that space later. But it's a really beautiful space for the ceremony.

I find Connemara extremely poor for food and hospitality generally (though I am maybe two years out of date), especially when compared with say West Cork or Kerry, but things at Rosleague were beyond faultless, they were special.

Food - good fresh local food done well - what more could you want. Great quality fry in the morning, no rubbery bacon and sausage, proper stuff. Freshly squeezed orange juice. Quality coffee (rare and wonderful to find). The option of fish of the day for brekkie is a lovely touch. Plenty of fresh fruit (including gorgeous stewed rhubarb), yoghurt, cereal etc. Brown bread on a par with my mothers and aunts, which is the gold standard.

The wedding meal was as far from 'standard wedding fare' as Bertie Ahern is from having a conscience, which is to say, very. It was just a cut above. There was a choice of lamb or turbot (we are told it is sourced locally); each guest was asked how they would like their lamb - and this was at a sizeable wedding. I asked for mine pink and that's exactly how it was cooked and it was meltingly tender. Veg cooked to perfection with no hint of hotel food tiredness or reheating. Crab starter very fresh and tasty. Dessert was a selection of yummy things done well - sticky toffee pudding, what seemed to be homemade icecream and other lovely things.

The dining room itself has huge windows so nice and bright, looking out on the garden and Connemara beyond.

Pre-wedding canapes - varied and and clearly very recently prepared and delicious, nothing that curled up at the edges - and plentiful!

On the evening after the wedding we had a big barbecue, all organised by the hotel and it was really something special. Steak (cooked perfectly), monkfish, big salmon platter, crab claws, lovely inventive salads, plenty of everything. Lots to eat for the veggie also.

We were a tough crowd foodwise, many of us are know good food and are fussy, and we were kept very happy.

Over the whole weekend we were all treated so well and attentively, and, even in the early hours when we were very 'lively', with great patience and courtesy! We were always coming and going and always asking for things, and sometimes breakfasting very late, but everyone was so good to us and patient. Great chat from some of the older ladies who work there as well.

Mark, the proprietor was around almost all the time, early and late, which is usually the sign of a well-run outfit, and so it proved in this case. He played a blinder helping to sort taxis for people who were staying elsewhere in the late (early!) hours.

The setting is beautiful, looking out over water and mountains. The sea and the diamond are a stone's throw away. For a hideaway weekend you would have perfect peace.

The bedrooms are big and spacious and comfortable. The beds are comfy. The doubles are big doubles.
(A teeny, tiny complaint - the bed base valance was stained with something unpleasant and should have been changed and the shower was leaking - told you we were fussy ;-)).

The decor is shabby chic, a bit self-consciously so, but very comfortable and cosy. Nice fresh white cotton bed linen, no nylon coverlet horrors. Plenty of towels, plenty of bottled water. Big free-standing baths.

The house has two nice drawing rooms to sit in and curl up with a book or retreat to for a chat, with board games and cards available. Also great to have other rooms for people to hang out in at a wedding if they're tired of the music, etc.

Big garden areas - a kid's dream for running around space. The children in our party loved it. Local babysitters readily available.

Our stay was also very reasonably priced. I'll definitely be back.

Well done Rosleague on doing what you do so well.

1  Thank theclinic
MarkLetterfrack, Owner at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2010

Thank you very much for your very kind and considerate review.
As I said to Tom & Helen, it was a very enjoyable weekend all round, the Weather was a blessing and it was great to see so many folks making such an effort to get here and enjoy the weekend with a couple that they clearly think the world of.
Thank you for your kind words about the House and food and also for the pointers as to where we can improve.
We are very conscious that a period House like Rosleague needs constant attention, is far from perfect and we will continue to do all we can to keep Rosleague special.
We look forward to welcoming you back on another occasion.

Reviewed March 4, 2010

I visited Rosleague for the first time when it was undergoing a make
over, but I just knew it was the place I wanted my wedding reception.
The house seemed warm and inviting even in its unfinished state of
renovations. I never wanted to have my wedding reception in a shiny
modern hotel and Rosleague ticked all the boxes its a grand Manor
House Hotel in a truely beautiful location. I felt instantly at home
and comfortable. Loretta who showed us around the hotel was helpful a
really lovely lady.
My now husband and I stayed in the hotel for a weekend during the
summer of 2009 and we were thrilled with our room which was huge, the
food was delicious and the service was perfect. Eventhough the hotel
appeared to be full there was lots of comfortable cosy places to sit
and relax. We were confident that we had made the right decision in
holding our wedding reception there.
The weekend of our wedding we met Mark on arrival who welcomed us and
we had dinner that night which was fab! Compliments to the chef lots
of locally sourced fresh food and cooked to perfection.
We got married in November 2009 and the breakfast the morning of our
wedding was traditional Irish and as previous posters had said it was
great, we were even accommodated when some guests arrived very late
for breakfast after a late night the night before!
We had yummy hand made biscuits which got lots of compliments and a
choice of tea/coffee and mulled wine when we returned from our wedding
ceremony.
Mark checked in with us during the evening as to when we wanted the
wedding meal served which was great because we didn't feel like we
were on a schedule like in some other hotels that host wedding
parties. I'm not very good at making decisions which made choosing
the wedding menu difficult as there was lots of choice besides your
traditional beef/Salmon we went for Cleggan Bay Crab Meat starter
which was caught locally, a very decadent Sorbet with a dash of
champagne and we had wild turbot and steak cooked to order for the
main course. The food was a credit to the staff it was piping hot and
the service was efficient.
We cant wait to go back to the cosy, comfortable Rosleague Manor! I
would have no hesitation in recommending Rosleague for a relaxing
Manor Hotel weekend break or to host a party or wedding.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
MarkLetterfrack, Owner/Manager at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2010

Dear Leanne,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review. As I have mentioned to you before, it was a pleasure to look after you both along with your Family' and Friends.

Loreta was very happy to get a mention for all her hard work and the guys in the Kitchen were delighted you all enjoyed the food so much.

We look forward to welcoming both yourself and Ollie back to Rosleague in the near future.

Kindest Regards

Mark

Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterfrack
Renvyle House Hotel
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Delphi Resort
Delphi Resort
#1 of 4 in Leenane

Been to Rosleague Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!