“FAVOURABLE TRIP ADVISOR RATINGS ARE DECEPTIVE !!”

Rosleague Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Letterfrack
London
“FAVOURABLE TRIP ADVISOR RATINGS ARE DECEPTIVE !!”
Reviewed May 3, 2010

We organised a stay here for my spouse's birthday. After much searching and checking up online, we settled on Rosleague for the Connemara leg of our trip. The Connemara region is breathtaking and offers spectacular views and vistas. We arrived at Rosleague with great anticipation, my wife telling me in the car that the website was gorgeous and we were in for a treat. The website may be gorgeous, but the reality is a let-down. What some reviewers have called country house charm should not be confused with what we experienced: tired appearance, very worn furniture, stained carpets, etc. After putting down our bags, we were already contemplating cancelling our second night and going somewhere else immediately.

In fairness (not just sour grapes!), the cooking is splendid, dinner and breakfast were top-notch (though the furniture in the dining room seemed rickety/wobbly).

There were some things any visitor would be shocked to see. Stroll to the 'bluebell' walk and apple orchard, and you'll see where everything just gets dumped? Bedspreads and carpets with dark stains? While we're no great TV-watchers and the beauty of the landscape is what drew us, might as well take away the mini-boxes as they're a joke.

NB - No doubt from reading prior reviews, Mark Foyle will write a detailed response to our points, trying to talk them away one-by-one. However, we are certain we weren't the first ones taken in by an impressive website and favourable Trip advisor reviews which far exceed the 'real' experience. Dear Mr Foley, please don't respond to us, unless it's to say 'thanks for the feedback, we'll take it all on board and improve for your next visit'.

We're not asking for luxury accommodation, but rather a clean, tidy, fresh feeling and looking country hotel. The garden, natural beauty of the view and surroundings, and kitchen will do the rest. However, my suggestion to the owner: dig deeper into your pocket and renovate in one go, not piecemeal. That's what a proper 4-star hotel does!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank xilofono

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Although this review will be a tad biased, my wife and I just wanted to comment on what was an amazing venue for our wedding. Mark and his team put on such a great weekend for us to celebrate our wedding with a 100 of our closest friends and families.

The review below is obviously from one of our guests - and she is totally right about the wonderful setting, food, hospitality and overall specialness of Rosleague Manor. Despite the Icelandic volcano (which made it very hard for our brilliant guests to get to Ireland from the UK (but they all did it somehow!!)) Mark and his team were not phased by late arrivals, changing numbers of guests and general disarray. The team at Rosleague were wonderful and all of our guests said how helpful, attentive and nice they were. The BBQ the next day (where we had just as many guests as at the wedding) was also fantastic with steak, salmon and monk fish - a far cry from your ordinary burnt sausage and burger!

However, please do not think this is just a good placce to get married. Rosleague is a wonderful venue for a short (or long) stay in beautiful Connemara with fantastic rooms and truly tasty and well thought-out and presented local food. My wife is originally from the area and I am so pleased she has introduced me to it.

I really cannot recommend Rosleague Manor highly enough. All our guests fell in love with the place as my wife and I did when we first visited it looking for a suitable wedding venue.

Thanks again to Mark and his team for a memorable weekend.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank TMB1980
MarkLetterfrack, Owner at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write, its nice that one of your unbiased guests got in there ahead of you.
You guys were blessed with the weather and also some truly great friends.
My abiding memory of the wedding will be that it happened on the weekend the Icelandic Volcano erupted, causing havoc with flights across Europe and still something like 42 out of 44 of the Uk guests managed to make their way here, the lady who travelled for 48 hours overland and sea from Switzerland was a particular hero.
It made looking after you both, along with your Friends & Family that much more enjoyable, everyone seemed to have an amazing story about how they got here.
I wish you both every happiness and look forward to seeing you back at Rosleague in the future.

Dublin
Reviewed April 22, 2010

My only hesitation in writing this glowing review is that if Rosleague gets as famous as it deserves will it stay as great as it is?

Just back from a family wedding there. As a venue for the service it was ideal. We were a wedding party of 100 or so, so some of us did have to overflow outside the conservatory wedding area but the weather was great so this wasn't an issue - I'm not sure if it would have been on a rainy day but I don't think so as we all happily partied the night away in that space later. But it's a really beautiful space for the ceremony.

I find Connemara extremely poor for food and hospitality generally (though I am maybe two years out of date), especially when compared with say West Cork or Kerry, but things at Rosleague were beyond faultless, they were special.

Food - good fresh local food done well - what more could you want. Great quality fry in the morning, no rubbery bacon and sausage, proper stuff. Freshly squeezed orange juice. Quality coffee (rare and wonderful to find). The option of fish of the day for brekkie is a lovely touch. Plenty of fresh fruit (including gorgeous stewed rhubarb), yoghurt, cereal etc. Brown bread on a par with my mothers and aunts, which is the gold standard.

The wedding meal was as far from 'standard wedding fare' as Bertie Ahern is from having a conscience, which is to say, very. It was just a cut above. There was a choice of lamb or turbot (we are told it is sourced locally); each guest was asked how they would like their lamb - and this was at a sizeable wedding. I asked for mine pink and that's exactly how it was cooked and it was meltingly tender. Veg cooked to perfection with no hint of hotel food tiredness or reheating. Crab starter very fresh and tasty. Dessert was a selection of yummy things done well - sticky toffee pudding, what seemed to be homemade icecream and other lovely things.

The dining room itself has huge windows so nice and bright, looking out on the garden and Connemara beyond.

Pre-wedding canapes - varied and and clearly very recently prepared and delicious, nothing that curled up at the edges - and plentiful!

On the evening after the wedding we had a big barbecue, all organised by the hotel and it was really something special. Steak (cooked perfectly), monkfish, big salmon platter, crab claws, lovely inventive salads, plenty of everything. Lots to eat for the veggie also.

We were a tough crowd foodwise, many of us are know good food and are fussy, and we were kept very happy.

Over the whole weekend we were all treated so well and attentively, and, even in the early hours when we were very 'lively', with great patience and courtesy! We were always coming and going and always asking for things, and sometimes breakfasting very late, but everyone was so good to us and patient. Great chat from some of the older ladies who work there as well.

Mark, the proprietor was around almost all the time, early and late, which is usually the sign of a well-run outfit, and so it proved in this case. He played a blinder helping to sort taxis for people who were staying elsewhere in the late (early!) hours.

The setting is beautiful, looking out over water and mountains. The sea and the diamond are a stone's throw away. For a hideaway weekend you would have perfect peace.

The bedrooms are big and spacious and comfortable. The beds are comfy. The doubles are big doubles.
(A teeny, tiny complaint - the bed base valance was stained with something unpleasant and should have been changed and the shower was leaking - told you we were fussy ;-)).

The decor is shabby chic, a bit self-consciously so, but very comfortable and cosy. Nice fresh white cotton bed linen, no nylon coverlet horrors. Plenty of towels, plenty of bottled water. Big free-standing baths.

The house has two nice drawing rooms to sit in and curl up with a book or retreat to for a chat, with board games and cards available. Also great to have other rooms for people to hang out in at a wedding if they're tired of the music, etc.

Big garden areas - a kid's dream for running around space. The children in our party loved it. Local babysitters readily available.

Our stay was also very reasonably priced. I'll definitely be back.

Well done Rosleague on doing what you do so well.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank theclinic
MarkLetterfrack, Owner at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
Thank you very much for your very kind and considerate review.
As I said to Tom & Helen, it was a very enjoyable weekend all round, the Weather was a blessing and it was great to see so many folks making such an effort to get here and enjoy the weekend with a couple that they clearly think the world of.
Thank you for your kind words about the House and food and also for the pointers as to where we can improve.
We are very conscious that a period House like Rosleague needs constant attention, is far from perfect and we will continue to do all we can to keep Rosleague special.
We look forward to welcoming you back on another occasion.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I visited Rosleague for the first time when it was undergoing a make
over, but I just knew it was the place I wanted my wedding reception.
The house seemed warm and inviting even in its unfinished state of
renovations. I never wanted to have my wedding reception in a shiny
modern hotel and Rosleague ticked all the boxes its a grand Manor
House Hotel in a truely beautiful location. I felt instantly at home
and comfortable. Loretta who showed us around the hotel was helpful a
really lovely lady.
My now husband and I stayed in the hotel for a weekend during the
summer of 2009 and we were thrilled with our room which was huge, the
food was delicious and the service was perfect. Eventhough the hotel
appeared to be full there was lots of comfortable cosy places to sit
and relax. We were confident that we had made the right decision in
holding our wedding reception there.
The weekend of our wedding we met Mark on arrival who welcomed us and
we had dinner that night which was fab! Compliments to the chef lots
of locally sourced fresh food and cooked to perfection.
We got married in November 2009 and the breakfast the morning of our
wedding was traditional Irish and as previous posters had said it was
great, we were even accommodated when some guests arrived very late
for breakfast after a late night the night before!
We had yummy hand made biscuits which got lots of compliments and a
choice of tea/coffee and mulled wine when we returned from our wedding
ceremony.
Mark checked in with us during the evening as to when we wanted the
wedding meal served which was great because we didn't feel like we
were on a schedule like in some other hotels that host wedding
parties. I'm not very good at making decisions which made choosing
the wedding menu difficult as there was lots of choice besides your
traditional beef/Salmon we went for Cleggan Bay Crab Meat starter
which was caught locally, a very decadent Sorbet with a dash of
champagne and we had wild turbot and steak cooked to order for the
main course. The food was a credit to the staff it was piping hot and
the service was efficient.
We cant wait to go back to the cosy, comfortable Rosleague Manor! I
would have no hesitation in recommending Rosleague for a relaxing
Manor Hotel weekend break or to host a party or wedding.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
MarkLetterfrack, Owner/Manager at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
Dear Leanne,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review. As I have mentioned to you before, it was a pleasure to look after you both along with your Family' and Friends.

Loreta was very happy to get a mention for all her hard work and the guys in the Kitchen were delighted you all enjoyed the food so much.

We look forward to welcoming both yourself and Ollie back to Rosleague in the near future.

Kindest Regards

London
Reviewed February 2, 2010

I had the pleasure of attending a wedding reception in Rosleague Manor in November 2009. My husband and I spent two nights in the Manor House Hotel. The location is breath taking. It is not surprising that Connemara (Letterfrack) is the chosen holiday destination for many of the Hollywood glitterati. Our spacious room looked out onto a lake with a backdrop of snow covered mountains. Perfect.

Rosleague itself is a charming Manor hotel with a timeless elegance. The decor reflects the house’s Edwardian heritage beautifully. Key to the overall ambiance is the sitting room where I whiled away a happy afternoon, warmed by the turf fire, good conversation and a glass of wine.

The dining room was stately and again the decor reflected the houses Edwardian linage. Large paintings, gilt mirrors etc. It had the ambiance of a restaurant with none of the stuffiness. My husband is a foodie and as such is particular about where it is sourced etc. Our food was cooked to order and we were proudly informed that most of the ingredients were locally sourced. My husband particularly enjoyed his steak “blue”. In fact after the wedding we spent some time in a 5 Star Castle famous for its cuisine and we felt that the food in Rosleague was comparable. Again, the food on the wedding day was as good as the night before and despite having to serve a large wedding party at the same time the service was swift and the waiting staff pleasant.

The celebratory and relaxed mood of the guests (the house was booked out by the wedding party) of course added to the charm of the house but I feel that my husband and I could happily spend a weekend in the beautiful setting of Rosleague, letting life pass by. We have been lucky enough to travel in Ireland, U.S, The Caribbean and Asia and would consider Rosleague one of our gems.

I felt that as a wedding venue, it was big enough to allow friends and family of the bride and groom space get to know one another. But small enough to feel like your own person manor house. The key to staying in Rosleague I feel is an understanding of understated elegance. If you are after a shiny new boutique hotel experience this is not the hotel for you.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
MarkLetterfrack, Owner/Manager at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2010
Dear Catherine and Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your kind and considerate review, it was so nice to read after returning from my Winter break to face into the new Season.
You really seem to have understood what Rosleague is all about and enjoyed its charms to the full, I feel you summed the House up perfectly in your last paragraph.
I'm glad your Husband enjoyed the Beef, all of the food is cooked to order and we take pride in the fact that the food we serve for Weddings is on a par with Dinner on a normal evening.
It is part of the deal when we host Weddings that the Family's book out the entire House and we feel it really lends to the enjoyment of the whole experience.

Thanks again and we hope to see you back at Rosleague in the future.

Somerset U.K.
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Out of our wedding party I am probably the only one who says 'it didn't meet expections', in my defence I do travel extensively.! Others may not comment as they do not want to cause offence to the wedding party.
The location is excellent and the hotel quite rustic (shabby in places), the lounge is comfortable, no focal point though the fire had extinguished, but I hadnt intended to spend the night in there. I was with a wedding party and everything took place in the conservatory area, the bar and musicians.There was more people outside than inside, the space wasn't adequate for the number of guests.
I cannot comment on the food as it was typical wedding fare, a young child in our group was unable to eat what was on offer,so got nothing, no alternative and a very rude server was on duty and again in the am. The breakfast was ok, I usually like Irish sausages but they were obviously not my usual brand ! not a big problem at this point I just wanted to get away.
Our room looked a little like a collection from a second hand shop, a wardrobe with no catch to open the door, a mirror you couldn't see yourself (the gilt had gone a long time ago) and it was held in place with a book. The carpet had several dirty black patches, a bedspread reminiscent of hospital bed circa 1940's. A small bathroom with a chunk of enamel missing from the bath. A radiator you had no control over, off when I needed it on and no tea or coffee making facilities. Will leave it there you get the picture but no doubt the rustic charm will appeal to many of the other guests.

• Stayed November 2009
2 Thank ClaireandJohn
MarkLetterfrack, Owner/Manager at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2009
Firstly, I must thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Rosleague manor. I regret that it did not live up to your expectations but I was present for the whole weekend of the wedding and have to agree with you that all the feedback we received was more than positive.
The Wedding Party really were great fun and it was great to see so many folks in such good form.
We do of course respect your opinion and take all reviews very seriously.

I have gathered from your description which room you stayed in (chipped bath) and I don't mind admitting it is our smallest room, we did not decide the room allocations in this case.
Your review is in some ways quite timely because I agree with some of the issues you raised which is why we had taken the opportunity of being closed for a month and are in the middle of a full refurbishment of the bedroom .

Your suggestion that there is no focal point for the Wedding is surprising as the conservatory with its adjoining courtyard/smoking area is ideally suited. I feel the fact that the musicians & dancing, bar and smoking area are all together is one of the best aspects of this space.
There were quite a few smokers in the party which is the reason why a lot of them were in the courtyard, rather than a lack of space.

Both myself and the Kitchen Team are very dissappointed with your assertion that the food was typical wedding fare. We take pride in the fact that the Dishes we serve at Weddings are on a par with everything we offer during normal service.
I would have to strongly disagree and don't believe that Crab, which was delivered from Cleggan Pier on the morning of the Wedding, Fillet Steak cooked to order from 'Blue' to Well-Done or Wild Turbot are typical wedding fare.

There were 2 children in attendance at the wedding and both were offered our usual alternative choices to the Wedding Menu of Pasta, Chicken or Sausages & Mash. To the best of my knowledge both declined these choices and asked for chips which they received. I did not serve their tables but have checked with our Head Chef Pascal and he confirmed this.
I was in the Dining Room throughout service and while checking on the tables, nothing was mentioned to me.

With regard to you comment on Breakfast, all I can say is that as you will see from many other reviews, we get continuous prise for our Breakfast. I am sure the sausages were not your 'brand' as they are not in fact a 'brand' at all, we get both our sausages and pudding from a local Butcher who has won national awards for both.

These may seem somewhat trivial points to counter but we do take any criticisms to heart and feel we have a right and duty to respond.

Dublin
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Arriving at Rosleague on a bank holiday grey Autumn day we found a beautiful turf fire in the drawing room. The atmosphere is warm and comforting and this feeling remains thro'out your stay. The staff led by the owner Mark Foyle are knowledgable and appear to have plenty of time to chat and advise on the locality, The food is amazing and very varied you would have no desire to eat anywhere else while staying there. Plenty of fish on the menu and all food is sourced locally. Rosleague has the most amazing woodland walks leading to the seashore. The bedrooms all have a great view either of the gardens or the seashore. All in there is no fault to find at Rosleague

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
MarkLetterfrack, Owner at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2009
Thanks for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay at Rosleague.
Unfortunately the Weather wasn't so good that weekend but we did at least get one fine day and I'm glad you enjoyed cosying up to the fire in the Drawing Room.
I'm particularly happy that at the end of a long Season you found that we are still in good form and happy to share our time. We are lucky enough that most of our staff are locals who are happy to chat and offer advice on where the best walks/pubs/shops are.
The Kitchen team will be delighted to get some praise again.
I'm not so sure we are faultless but it is nice of you to say so and I guess if you returned to Dublin feeling refreshed and happy we must be doing something right.
Hope to see you back at Rosleague in the not too distant future.

Mark Foyle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterfrack
Renvyle House Hotel
Clifden Station House
Delphi Resort
Delphi Resort
#1 of 4 in Leenane

Been to Rosleague Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!