Rosleague Manor Hotel
$182
$176
$120
  • Restaurant
Clifden Station House(Clifden)(Great Value!)
$171
Maol Reidh Hotel(Tullycross)
Agoda.com
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewskylemore abbeyconnemara national parkdiamond hillthe beautiful dining roomconnemara lambcountry houserelaxing drinkmonkfishwedding venuedrawing roomrelaxing breakfront of the houseold world charmconservatory barbreakfast and dinnerboth nightscrab claws
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I have just stayed at Rosleague for the first time. This must be one of the best country house hotels anywhere. The house is beautiful, the setting is idyllic over the bay, and Connemara is all around.
The entrance hall with fishing rods and the welcoming lobby immediately give the feeling of a privately owned country house. Indeed the main characteristic of this hotel is that it does not feel like a hotel at all, but rather like a private house (maybe this explains why guests mingle, which is another nice feature). The two main sitting rooms (one had an open fire when I was there) are beautifully furnished in country house style and there are interesting paintings and prints throughout the house. The dining room is magnificent with seriously good formal furniture, silver and china display, and manages to be friendly and relaxed at breakfast and agreeably formal at dinner! There is also a large conservatory with bar. All the rooms are beautifully furnished, in many cases with good antiques, and the place looks very well-cared for indeed. I really appreciated the free computer and printer for guest use.
I had a very large room with a stunning bay view, and a very well-appointed modern bathroom with a massive bathtub. The bedroom was immaculately clean, and well-furnished, very well maintained, with lots of storage space. It felt friendly and welcoming to come back to after a long day out in the wilds of Connemara!
The staff make this marvellous hotel. The enthusiastic young owner is very hands on, working at reception, in the bar and dining room and knows all his guests by name. Obviously his high standards and enthusiasm are infectious: it is clear that the staff love this house and are proud to be part of his team. Some of them told me they have been working there for many years and all of them are very friendly and interested in the guests. They are also highly efficient. A class act.

A word about the food. Dinner was superb on both nights of my stay and the wine list was both good and reasonably priced. I opted for seafood and fish (a speciality) one night and I had some wonderful Irish beef the next. I regretted not trying the Connemara lamb. Breakfast was really outstanding - the best I have ever had anywhere.

It is very hard to convey the charm of this wonderful place. All one can say is - try it!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
MarkLetterfrack, Owner at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2009

Thank you very much for you kind words about Rosleague.
You have captured the feeling of the House very well in a few short paragraphs. We have always tried to keep things relaxed and informal going back to my Grandmothers time. She always wanted Rosleague to feel more like a Home than a Hotel and this is something we have tried to carry on, so its nice when its appreciated.
We have quite a number of staff who have worked with my Family for over 20 years, who genuinely take great pride in the House. I know they keep an eye on the reviews and will be very happy to get a mention.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Rosleague in the future.

Mark Foyle

Reviewed October 12, 2009

We had our wedding reception at Rosleague in August of this year. We chose Rosleague as we felt it was very different to the experience you get in a standard hotel. We wanted a hotel that offered exclusive use for the full weekend, but Rosleague is an intimate country house that offers this and much more. It oozes charm and character. The atmosphere for the whole weekend was laid back and relaxed and our guests loved their bedrooms, each having it's own uniqueness. The house and the wider grounds are great for children making it easy for their parents to mind them and include them in the full weekend.

The food was excellent throughout and Pascal, the chef, laid on an incredible BBQ for us on the second night.

Nothing is a problem to Mark, Loretta and the team in Rosleague. They have a truly relaxed approach to how they deal with you and your guests, and their personal touch went a long way to making the weekend so great.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
MarkLetterfrack, Manager/Owner at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2009

Thanks for taking the time to write the review.
It was a pleasure to look after you both along with your friends and family.
I'm glad you enjoyed having the House & Grounds exclusively to yourselves, obviously its part of the deal when having your wedding at Rosleague but we really feel this is the best way to ensure a memourable Wedding.

I'm really happy you enjoyed the BBQ, as you will recall I was a little nervous about catering for the numbers as so many of your guests decided to make a weekend of it, but feel it worked out very well and led to a nice relaxed vibe for the second night.
Thankfully, you also got the weather to enjoy the Courtyard and new Garden Furniture that Teresa helped me to realise was badly needed.
Thanks again, we look forward to seeing you back for the anniversary, if not before.

Reviewed October 6, 2009

We stayed here for our friends wedding which was held here. We were absolutely delighted with the whole experience. It was refreshing to see the manager so hands on and helpful. The rooms are amazing. I had abit of a nose round other rooms and even the smaller ones were lovely. The wedding breakfast was delicious.

There were a couple of minor niggles. The windows were painted closed so the room got a little warm. The tv reception wasnt great but to be honest we weren't too bothered about that. The older member of the dining staff at breakfast, was described as some of our party as being "quaint" and by another as "abit Irish". I just thought she was a little rude and abrupt. I think this has been mentioned before in some of the other reviews.

But please if you get the chance go and stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Having read a recent negitive comment about this wonderful old manor house,I feel I must write and express just how great a stay we had.Now maybe I am partial,having stayed 4 tyimes here over the past decade,but Mark Foyle has only improved his manor house,re-doing the fabulous bar area and outdoor ajacent garden area.We had a downstairs bedroom with lots of heat and a bathtub to DIE for,plenty of hot water in the shower.The food has only gotten better,and we actually got a 'special'on our one night stay which included dinner in the price.Please do not miss this lovely,clean Manor House!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
MarkLetterfrack, Owner/Manager at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2009

Thank you for the kind review and for defending our honour!
It was great to welcome you both back at Rosleague again, having not seen you for a few years.
It's nice when regulars like yourselves notice all the work that goes into the upkeep of a Historic Home like Rosleague and appreciate it for what it is.
We are really happy with how the new Conservatory turned out, it was by far the biggest project I have undertaken in my 10 years at Rosleague and I spent more than 2 years planning and a lot longer saving for it.
Thankfully during the 2 seasons since it's completion we have had nothing but praise for it and it has been a tremendous addition to the House.
We have quite a settled team in the Kitchen, most with 10 years service or more.
I feel consistency in the Food is essential but also that we have moved things on and we are obviously thrilled that you agree.
Glad you enjoyed our mid-week special, we look forward to your continued loyalty over the next decade.

Mark

Reviewed October 3, 2009

My sister and I stayed here for 4 nights with our 80 year old mother; we all were enchanted. The house is beautiful and the furnishing classic country style. Do not expect modern amenities - if you want that, go to a chain hotel. The staff could not be more welcoming and helpful. It was chilly when we arrived, Mark noticed my Mom was a bit cold and got us into the sitting room with a peat fire, tea and scones immediately. That set the tone for our stay, and it remained at that level of attention. The food is incredible, and served in a dining room with great decor and views of the water. The walk to the sea is great, and we found different shells to bring home. By the way, in responde to the review -- we are not upper class nor "posh" but we do appreciate the finer things that are to be found at Rosleague Manor.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank travelsis828

Ladies,

Thank you very much for your very kind review of your stay at Rosleague.
It was a pleasure to look after you both along with your Mother.
I'm glad your Mum enjoyed the afternoon tea by the fire, my own mother feels the cold terribly so It was easy enough for me to spot that she needed warming up.
I'm glad you enjoyed the food so much, the gang in the Kitchen are thrilled to get a mention.
Myself and two of my guys spent a few weeks last Winter improving the walk to the Sea so I'm thrilled you were able to bring your Mother down to the shore.
Hope to see you back at Rosleague some time in the future.

Mark