“Idyllic stay in beautiful country house”

Rosleague Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Letterfrack
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I have just stayed at Rosleague for the first time. This must be one of the best country house hotels anywhere. The house is beautiful, the setting is idyllic over the bay, and Connemara is all around.
The entrance hall with fishing rods and the welcoming lobby immediately give the feeling of a privately owned country house. Indeed the main characteristic of this hotel is that it does not feel like a hotel at all, but rather like a private house (maybe this explains why guests mingle, which is another nice feature). The two main sitting rooms (one had an open fire when I was there) are beautifully furnished in country house style and there are interesting paintings and prints throughout the house. The dining room is magnificent with seriously good formal furniture, silver and china display, and manages to be friendly and relaxed at breakfast and agreeably formal at dinner! There is also a large conservatory with bar. All the rooms are beautifully furnished, in many cases with good antiques, and the place looks very well-cared for indeed. I really appreciated the free computer and printer for guest use.
I had a very large room with a stunning bay view, and a very well-appointed modern bathroom with a massive bathtub. The bedroom was immaculately clean, and well-furnished, very well maintained, with lots of storage space. It felt friendly and welcoming to come back to after a long day out in the wilds of Connemara!
The staff make this marvellous hotel. The enthusiastic young owner is very hands on, working at reception, in the bar and dining room and knows all his guests by name. Obviously his high standards and enthusiasm are infectious: it is clear that the staff love this house and are proud to be part of his team. Some of them told me they have been working there for many years and all of them are very friendly and interested in the guests. They are also highly efficient. A class act.

A word about the food. Dinner was superb on both nights of my stay and the wine list was both good and reasonably priced. I opted for seafood and fish (a speciality) one night and I had some wonderful Irish beef the next. I regretted not trying the Connemara lamb. Breakfast was really outstanding - the best I have ever had anywhere.

It is very hard to convey the charm of this wonderful place. All one can say is - try it!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
MarkLetterfrack, Owner at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2009

Thank you very much for you kind words about Rosleague.
You have captured the feeling of the House very well in a few short paragraphs. We have always tried to keep things relaxed and informal going back to my Grandmothers time. She always wanted Rosleague to feel more like a Home than a Hotel and this is something we have tried to carry on, so its nice when its appreciated.
We have quite a number of staff who have worked with my Family for over 20 years, who genuinely take great pride in the House. I know they keep an eye on the reviews and will be very happy to get a mention.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Rosleague in the future.

Mark Foyle

There are newer reviews for Rosleague Manor Hotel

Reviewed October 12, 2009

We had our wedding reception at Rosleague in August of this year. We chose Rosleague as we felt it was very different to the experience you get in a standard hotel. We wanted a hotel that offered exclusive use for the full weekend, but Rosleague is an intimate country house that offers this and much more. It oozes charm and character. The atmosphere for the whole weekend was laid back and relaxed and our guests loved their bedrooms, each having it's own uniqueness. The house and the wider grounds are great for children making it easy for their parents to mind them and include them in the full weekend.

The food was excellent throughout and Pascal, the chef, laid on an incredible BBQ for us on the second night.

Nothing is a problem to Mark, Loretta and the team in Rosleague. They have a truly relaxed approach to how they deal with you and your guests, and their personal touch went a long way to making the weekend so great.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
MarkLetterfrack, Manager/Owner at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2009

Thanks for taking the time to write the review.
It was a pleasure to look after you both along with your friends and family.
I'm glad you enjoyed having the House & Grounds exclusively to yourselves, obviously its part of the deal when having your wedding at Rosleague but we really feel this is the best way to ensure a memourable Wedding.

I'm really happy you enjoyed the BBQ, as you will recall I was a little nervous about catering for the numbers as so many of your guests decided to make a weekend of it, but feel it worked out very well and led to a nice relaxed vibe for the second night.
Thankfully, you also got the weather to enjoy the Courtyard and new Garden Furniture that Teresa helped me to realise was badly needed.
Thanks again, we look forward to seeing you back for the anniversary, if not before.

Reviewed October 6, 2009

We stayed here for our friends wedding which was held here. We were absolutely delighted with the whole experience. It was refreshing to see the manager so hands on and helpful. The rooms are amazing. I had abit of a nose round other rooms and even the smaller ones were lovely. The wedding breakfast was delicious.

There were a couple of minor niggles. The windows were painted closed so the room got a little warm. The tv reception wasnt great but to be honest we weren't too bothered about that. The older member of the dining staff at breakfast, was described as some of our party as being "quaint" and by another as "abit Irish". I just thought she was a little rude and abrupt. I think this has been mentioned before in some of the other reviews.

But please if you get the chance go and stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Having read a recent negitive comment about this wonderful old manor house,I feel I must write and express just how great a stay we had.Now maybe I am partial,having stayed 4 tyimes here over the past decade,but Mark Foyle has only improved his manor house,re-doing the fabulous bar area and outdoor ajacent garden area.We had a downstairs bedroom with lots of heat and a bathtub to DIE for,plenty of hot water in the shower.The food has only gotten better,and we actually got a 'special'on our one night stay which included dinner in the price.Please do not miss this lovely,clean Manor House!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
MarkLetterfrack, Owner/Manager at Rosleague Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2009

Thank you for the kind review and for defending our honour!
It was great to welcome you both back at Rosleague again, having not seen you for a few years.
It's nice when regulars like yourselves notice all the work that goes into the upkeep of a Historic Home like Rosleague and appreciate it for what it is.
We are really happy with how the new Conservatory turned out, it was by far the biggest project I have undertaken in my 10 years at Rosleague and I spent more than 2 years planning and a lot longer saving for it.
Thankfully during the 2 seasons since it's completion we have had nothing but praise for it and it has been a tremendous addition to the House.
We have quite a settled team in the Kitchen, most with 10 years service or more.
I feel consistency in the Food is essential but also that we have moved things on and we are obviously thrilled that you agree.
Glad you enjoyed our mid-week special, we look forward to your continued loyalty over the next decade.

Reviewed October 3, 2009

My sister and I stayed here for 4 nights with our 80 year old mother; we all were enchanted. The house is beautiful and the furnishing classic country style. Do not expect modern amenities - if you want that, go to a chain hotel. The staff could not be more welcoming and helpful. It was chilly when we arrived, Mark noticed my Mom was a bit cold and got us into the sitting room with a peat fire, tea and scones immediately. That set the tone for our stay, and it remained at that level of attention. The food is incredible, and served in a dining room with great decor and views of the water. The walk to the sea is great, and we found different shells to bring home. By the way, in responde to the review -- we are not upper class nor "posh" but we do appreciate the finer things that are to be found at Rosleague Manor.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank travelsis828

Ladies,

Thank you very much for your very kind review of your stay at Rosleague.
It was a pleasure to look after you both along with your Mother.
I'm glad your Mum enjoyed the afternoon tea by the fire, my own mother feels the cold terribly so It was easy enough for me to spot that she needed warming up.
I'm glad you enjoyed the food so much, the gang in the Kitchen are thrilled to get a mention.
Myself and two of my guys spent a few weeks last Winter improving the walk to the Sea so I'm thrilled you were able to bring your Mother down to the shore.
Hope to see you back at Rosleague some time in the future.

Reviewed September 21, 2009

Stayed at the Rosleague hotel for 3 nights in a Junior Suite. Accomodation doesn't quite live up to Suite Standard. Bathroom had no heating if the temperature dropped, and you needed to be young enough to step up and stretch over the large bathtub edge to access the shower which you had to run for 5mins to get hot water..The wardeobe doors kept opening every time i walked by them which must have been obvious to housekeeping every day and the door handle was hanging off , but this was fixed.
The location was wonderful and the food was very good. Service was a bit hit and miss,.ordered tea got coffee,wrong salad little things that could be avoided by writing down what was order and confirming it. .Could be a great place if a little more care was taken on maintenance and service.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2009

I normally don't take the time to send in a review but on seeing some comments in a previous review I felt I had to defend such a fabulous place.

I returned with my husband to Rosleague Manor this May to celebrate our second wedding anniversary. We had married in Rosleague and had such a wonderful experience that we wanted to return...(it was booked up for our first anniversary). Two years later we still have friends and family remarking how much they enjoyed their stay, they all thought the food/accommodation/location and service was wonderful, which it was. I fell in love with the house as soon as I saw it and Loretta was so kind in bringing us around and showing us each and every bedroom so i could picture the wedding weekend. They were so helpful with every aspect of the preparations for our wedding meal and the tables were laid beautifully with arrangments from the garden. We wanted to keep our wedding simple but beautiful.
Unlike a previous poster seems to think , we are not upper class people, we had a diverse mix of guests at our wedding , those who were used to a 5 star service had nothing to fault with and those who would have simpler experiences loved the elegance and felt very comfortable staying there.
We noticed some changes to the house , the beautiful Victorian conservatory, where we had our dancing has now a new roof and has been extended and it looked really beautiful all lit up in the evening. Mark is very committed to the ongoing success of the place and it shows in all the attention that is given in the sensitive upkeep of such an old building.
Mark and the staff there are very accommodating and ensure that you have a comfortable and enjoyable experience. The food is FAB!!!
If you are considering this venue for a wedding or just a holiday getaway I would recommend it 100%.
I think a return visit says it all... I can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for the very kind review of your recent stay and also your wedding with us in 2007.
It was great to see you again, married life is clearly agreeing with you both.

We're delighted that Rosleague has such happy memouries for you both along your friends & family.
Loreta has worked with my family at Rosleague for well over 20 years now and I know it meant a lot to her to be singled out for praise as she takes as much pride in the House as any of us. She is also responsible for the floral arrangements you mentioned and doesn't always get the plaudits she deserves for putting them together.

Thanks for you kind words about my pride & joy, the conservatory. Sorry that we didn't build it a year earlier but as you said on your recent stay the older version was plenty large for your numbers and also had a certain charm.

We all look forward to welcoming you back on anniversaries for many years to come.

Mark

Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterfrack
Renvyle House Hotel
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Delphi Resort
Delphi Resort
#1 of 4 in Leenane

Been to Rosleague Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!