“A Beautiful Treat!”

Rosleague Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Letterfrack
Reviewed September 6, 2009

We've just returned from a 2 week vacation in Ireland, mostly staying with cousins in their homes. We had the opportunity to travel to various parts of the country with our cousins, and happened upon Rosleague Manor Hotel rather serendipitiously. What a lovely hotel, the ambience is simply charming. We arrived on a Sunday night, without reservations and were given a great package rate that include B&B and dinner. Our party of five had 3 rooms, each one nicer than the next. My husband & I had a huge room with a 4-poster bed, and a bathroom that lodged a deep claw fot tub, with a shower. DEVINE! The multi coursed meal at dinner was the best meal we had in all of Ireland this trip. We had our after dinner tea and coffee in one of the sitting rooms, ( which was served with little tarts and chocolates as well!!),where we visited with our cousins, and made use of the hotel's free internet and computer to touch base with family at home in America. The freshly squeezed orange juice at breakfast was such a treat, none of the concentrated juice we are used to.The cooked to order breakfast and large buffett of breads and fruits, etc, kept us going until supper. The conservatory literally sparkled at night from the tiny fairy lights, and then in the morning when the sun was in it's glory. How wonderful for us that the finely tuned paino was treated to the tune "Pony Ride" ,played by our delightful 12 yr old cousin. We were in heaven! The staff at Rosleague Manor was superb. We seemed to have quite a few questions, all answered quickly, and although there wasn't a hairdryer in the room, was one provided upon our first request. The views of the inlet and the mountains, the charming path to walk down to the water, it all just adds up to relaxation at it's best.
We are far from "high society", as another post said the clientele was, and we enjoy the antquity of a place, shy away from the modern.
I agree there was a strong "cleaning smell" intially in the lobby, but it was not off-putting; I assumed that the hall had just been mopped.
My only "complaint", would be that I found the pillows too hard to my liking, prefer a softer pillow. I did not ask if there was different pillow available, and I certainly was well rested in the morning, so I don't even know if I'd call that a complaint.
We likely would not have thought we could "afford" to stay at Rossleaque Manor Hotel, so glad we decided to "treat" ourselves to this lovely place, it was completely worth it!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed August 21, 2009

I have just returned from a wonderful break at Rosleague. Overall, I was very pleased with the hotel. The ambiance oozes elegant country house intermingled with a distinctly relaxed atmosphere. The interior is fabulous and it really does feel like staying in a somebody's home.The bedrooms are very spacious and luxurious and it was a joy to dine there. Kylemore Abbey is but a ten minute drive, and Clifden twenty minutes away. The view from our bedroom window was simply uplifting. The staff were pleasant and efficient bar an elderly lady who I found to be rather arrogant and overbearing in her manner in dealing with guests. For this I deduct one point, otherwise I would give the hotel a trimphant nine out of ten.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2009

The three night package offers excellent value, especially with our teenage kids who paid half price but ate easily as much as we did! They were very excited by the 4 poster bed in their room which was fought over. The quality of service was obvious from the moment we arrived, when we were immediately offered help with our (very heavy!) bags from someone who we subsequently discovered was the owner. The hotel manages to get the balance right between feeling like a grand house and a comfortable family home. We enjoyed tea in the drawing room and champagne in the conservatory. The quality of the food was absolutely consistent and very high (although less good for the vegetarian in our party). The hotel is less than a mile away from the Connemara National Park which has fabulous walks on well kept paths. I would happily return any time!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2009

The Rosleague has the makings of a great country house hotel - superb location, restaurant and gardens. It is let down slightly by poor finishings in the rooms, painted closed windows, that sort of thing. Also there were religious icons/paintings etc in our bedroom which we thought a little odd.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2009

Recently I was best man at my brothers wedding,at Rosleague - the rooms strike a balance between traditional country house though with smart modern bathrooms offering power showers or standalone victorian style baths
The room I stayed in was vast and could easily house a family of five, the beds were knock you out comfortable. The setting is breathtaking and the grounds offer good short walks through woodland down to the coast. There is a good golflinks course 30 mins away, and if you are the walking, trekking horse riding type, you will think you are in heaven
The owner Mark is hands-on and when not meeting and greeting is serving food – good to see. His style relaxed, informal and helpful.
All the staff were very pleasant and for the most part efficient, some local, some European. And now to the food, the chef should receive any award going at his level - normally I just hoover up my fry, but this fry up makes you sit up and pay attention, it looks like any other cooked breakfast, but each ingredient produces and ooh and an ahh - the bacon the sausage and white pudding all one ingredient shows in their own right that just make you want more. This is without exception the best fry I have ever had.
One evening I had roast lamb and veg - the lamb was both tender and full of flavour, the beef on the wedding day similar. The starter of gaspacho perfect as were the palate cleansing sorbets. In general the dinner was so good you had to slow down and savour what you were eating when the temptation was to wolf it such was the flavour.

The atmosphere is relaxed and Mark informs me only in the last 2 years have they added keys to the rooms - many long staying guests refuse them as they view the place as an extension of their home. You can see why. To date he informs me nothing has gone missing from any room.

If I have one gripe on more than one occasion I found myself searching for either a receptionist or a barperson. On the Friday I was informed by the wedding party that they were told by the bar lady that the bar was closed at 1am without warning. As residents they would have preferred a few more drinks – a minor blip in an otherwise flawless experience. Would I go there again – oh yes!!

Cian
[--]

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2009

This place is a gem and it is always sad to leave. The food is excellent, the service superb and nothing is too much trouble. Even if the weather is bad life here is good. You can even bring your dog. Don't tell anybody about Rosleague it's too good a secret to share!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2009

My fiance and I stayed here for one excellent night in April 2009. After driving through the barren mountains of Connemara in the pouring rain, we arrived to lush grounds with an amazing view of the water and mountains. Our room was huge with a very nice soaker tub, heated bathroom floors, and a great view. The food was the best we had in Ireland on our whole trip with an amazing five course dinner and one of the best breakfasts I have had full of flaky croissants, strawberry jam and delicious smoked salmon. The service was the most personal I have experienced with tea upon arrival, peat fires burning in the drawing rooms and a hand-drawn map of the property grounds. My one and only complaint is that the reception area had a bit of a litter box or wet animal smell, but it could have just been the day. Overall, I would totally recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letterfrack
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Doonmore Hotel
Doonmore Hotel
#1 of 3 in Inishbofin

Been to Rosleague Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!