“poor experience”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ballinasloe
Dublin, Ireland
“poor experience”
Reviewed February 3, 2010

We had a poor experience in this hotel. We will not be back. This was mostly due to the service received by the staff.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Polish first
DUBLIN
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Would definately recommend this hotel for families with children, staff very helpful and pleasant, kids club was a bonus, kids had a great time. Found the hotel very clean and well kept, the food in the restaurant was divine,my compliments to the chef, (there was a book on sale with his receipes, only sorry I didn't get one before I left). We were a party of 14 adults and 10 kids, everyone had a great time no complaints. The hotel staff and management were very professional and friendly and it created a very leisurely feel about the place which had both parents and kids feeling very relaxed. Will be going back soon!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Ireland
Reviewed November 14, 2009

When thinking of staying overnight in Ballinasloe, Carlton Shearwater first comes to mind. Well, if it does to you too, forget it!
Impressive exterior probably only raises expectations for them to be shattered once you're in one of many - read: way too many - plantless, furnitureless hallways or stairwells. Once checked in and on the way to your room make sure not to touch anything in the lifts - especially that 80's looking display unit with too many leaflets - as you may stain your clothes. Try not to touch the walls either. Mouldy stuff growing on the ceilings, curtains and walls (2nd floor - I haven't seen the rest) is...well mouldy. And greenish...And really discouraging.
If you're allergic to dust - RUN!!! Your room will NOT have promised ironing board, but it will have extra dust layers on coffee tray.
In case you wanted to read your Bible, hope you brought your own, because there is none in your room. I thought it was an obligatory requirement for a certain standard, but I guess I was wrong...

Forget about all the dirt/dust anyway and go on have a craic in town. Come back, sleep - if other partygoers will let you - and go for breakfast. For a tenner you will get Full Irish, except it won't be full. Perhaps beans or pudding will be missing, whatever is there - it will be floating in greasy oil. You might want to grab a yogurt or fresh homemade bread instead. Or not... as there is none.

And on top of that you gotta pay way too much as for this amount of dust.

Too bad the hotel is in such state - it's new and it could really be exceptional, especially with the staff - lovely bunch of people I've met. But I guess something would really have to change for that to happen...

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Stayed here for a weekend. Like all the Carlton Hotels, clean, great pool and nice staff. Expensive to eat in the hotel but loads of choice in Ballinasloe. The chinese beside the AIB bank, Tao Yuan(upstairs) is excellent. Had a beautiful meal here. Maud Millers in the town is a great pub with live music. Don't let the small size of the pub put you off, a great buzz in it!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed November 9, 2009

My wife and I and 2 kids stayed in the Carlton Shearwater last weekend. We found the rooms to be well maintained, very comfortable and clean. We ate in the bar and the food was excellent and very reasonably priced, with good portion sizes well presented. The leisure centre has a big pool and the kids certainly enjoyed it. The buffet breakfast was excellent with a wide variety of choice. The staff and service was first class. A very good 4 star hotel and we will definately return.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Northern Ireland
Reviewed November 8, 2009

My husband & I have stayed here a few times to tie in with appointments at Portiuncula Hospital. The hotel is easy to find and only a few minutes drive on exiting the new Motorway.

The last time we stayed was for 3 nights. We booked 2 nights on the 7th heaven promotion and the 3rd night, we booked on the room only deal at Euro 69. So it averaged just over 50 euro a night.

I was having surgery in the nearby hospital so my husband just paid for breakfast in the mornings. We asked for a bathroom with special needs access as I figured my mobility wouldn't be great on leaving hospital. The hotel provided a room with a wet-room style access - suited our needs perfectly.

Super-Kingsize double bed which was extremely comfortable. LCD TV with plenty of channel choice. Tea & Coffee making facilities were much appreciated.

Underground carparking, meant the car was as safe as can be and protected from the elements.

The staff were really helpful and if I have more appointments at the hospital I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
dublin
Reviewed October 28, 2009

Having stayed in the Carlton Hotel in Kinsale I was looking forward to my stay in this sister hotel in Ballinasloe. The Hotel is not as opulent as the one in Kinsale and the reception area is just very big with nothing exceptional about it apart from the cosy fire were you can sit in the evening having a drink .
On arrival at reception at 3pm we were told that one of our rooms were not ready , we had requested a suite and interconnecting room for the boys ,we were given the key to one of the rooms to leave our luggage in but when we got to the room it hadn't been clean , back to reception to let them know neither of our rooms was ready, we were told to come back in 20mins .
We decided to go for some lunch and arrived back at reception at 4.15pm only to be informed that rooms were still not ready , eventually got our rooms at 4.45pm apparently this hotel offers late checkout for an extra 20euros until 3pm obviously with no regards to the next occupants arriving .
Lunch in the bar is nice and fresh and not too expensive , whereas the meal we had that evening in the restaurant was not good . I ordered the duck which was served with what i could only describe as puree baby food awful , dessert was not much better as the cheese cake had coffee bean as dressing dreadful........ a simple request for a cup of tea was also a disaster and I had to sent it back twice with the request to put two teabags in the pot ..... the staff in the dining room are effiicent but not very friendly or helpful , while the young staff in the bar were very helpful, courteous and polite and friendly top class .
The pool has the usual sauna , jacuzzi, steam room which were nice the pool was lovely and warm , my only gripe here is that there is not great supervision on the hygiene aspect on the two occassion that i was there , people were around the pool side in their shoes .
There is a nice Chinese restaurant in the town which I would recommend we had a lovely meal here.
The hotel is very relaxing and most of the staff are very helpful and friendly don't know if I would be rushing back as there is nothing exceptional about it and not much to see in the town of Ballinasloe.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank tsam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballinasloe
Gullane's Hotel & Conference Centre
#1 of 3 in Loughrea
Hodson Bay Hotel
Hodson Bay Hotel
#5 of 9 in Athlone

Been to Shearwater Hotel? Share your experiences!