“Stay away from the food”
Review of Shearwater Hotel

Shearwater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ballinasloe
kildare
“Stay away from the food”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stayed here for one night. Room wasn't ready when we arrived and were told to come back after 3 so we decided to get some lunch in the bar. It was terrible I had presented a club sandwich toast on it was soggy and barely warm I sent it back and whilst the next one was a slight improvement it was not great either my husbands ciabatta was also terrible but he put up with it. We didn't have any better experience with dinner food was lukewarm..when I was asked by the manager I think in the bar how was my starter I did say it was not great as it was barely warm his reply was bruschetta doesn't be warm I replied saying that the goats cheese on top surely should be.. And it didn't get any better please tell the chef that its no point having hot plates and just warm food.. Hotel is quiet impersonal but is clean and rooms are nice shame about the food.

• Stayed February 2014
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

Very disappointing that we fell so short of our usual standards with regards to our food offering. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise and to assure you also that I have met with our Head Chef to understand why this was the case.

Should you be returning in the future, please ask for me directly. I have included my email address below.

gmcguinness@carlton.ie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
Portlaoise, Ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a very busy night but service here was excellent. Woman on reception was particularly friendly and helpful (think her name might have been Mariella or something similar?). Room lovely, spotlessly clean. Overall, a very positive experience, would recommend!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback, as it always great to learn of a guests enjoyable experience, which acts as a great source of continued motivation for all of the team.

I would imagine it may have been Estella who took care of you and I will ensure your feedback is passed on directly to her.

Again, delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

County Clare, Ireland
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Valentines Package very good value.
Nice spacious hotel - quite vast & kinda cold - for such a small town?? Has a wedding venue feel to it.
Good underground car parking & free but didn't feel secure - we upgraded to a suite for €25 per room per night (this was not made clear to my partner who booked it - he was told €20 and thought it was for both nights) which was nice but don't go for the views - we were overlooking Lidl and an ugly shopping centre. No extra duvets or blankets in the room, which was cold the first night - requested them the second day and took all day before we got them - no laundry bag & not enough bath product for 2 people for 2 nights. No instructions on how to work the heating which when we eventually got it on (it is like a huge heater on the ceiling??) it was so noisy we had to turn it off. The red light on the bedside phone flashed all night which was annoying and no one ever answered the phone when we called down. We plugged it out to stop the flashing.
Not enough hangers in wardrobe either for 2 people
I do like a hotel with a bit of character and this hotel is lacking a personality - kinda felt like it was just built in the celtic tiger and that was it really - there was no character of a bar man or didn't really feel warmth from the staff?? just doing their job really.
Would only go back if got a good deal which this was - €109 pps for 2 nights DBB with Prosecco.
We had Prosecco on arrival into our room but no corkscrew in sight?
rose petals on the floor & bed nice touch as were the chocolates which we ate but we did have a strawberry on the first night on our table but dissappeared on second day??
All in all good experience and evening food & porridge was lovely. Sausages & baked beans on breakfast are cheap - not great.
Shower was not the hottest any day but pressure was good.
We were room 248 - nice room but bad view.
A

Room Tip: Room 248 is lovely& QUIET room but not a nice view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to forward on your very valuable feedback.

It is disappointing that we fell down on many areas of detail with regards your guest room. All of the issues you listed are basic standards and why we fell so short in these areas is being fully looked into with our Accommodation team; with full corrective action to be taken.

While the property is indeed impressive and large, this should not lend itself to one without warmth and personality. I will be addressing this point with all of our respective teams, as we place huge focus on all interactions with guests to be driven by both personality and professionalism.

Thanking you again for your feedback, all of which will be used to further improve the consistency of standards within the property.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed here 8th February 2014 with my boyfriend. On arrival we were amazed by how big the hotel was, checked in an we were upgraded to the executive suite straight away we were delighted. This room is great the bathroom had 2 separate sinks an a walk in shower which was really nice. There was a sitting room/bedroom with a bed together then another room with a 6ft bed in it separate my boyfriend suffers with back pain so was good for him for room. Had the best sleep in weeks with the blackout curtains. An the nice balcony in the morning with the church bells, oh and thanks to the lovely girl who brought breakfast to our room next morning. Would defently be back. Thanks

Room Tip: Book the executive suite room you won't be disapointed
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Charlene,

Thank you for the very positive review and our executive suites always allow our guests to be spoilt that extra little bit!

I will ensure your feedback is passed onto both the kitchen and breakfast service team, who do great work ensuring the first meal of the day is always an enjoyable one.

Best regards,
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We arrived on 7th Feb for a 2 night break on arrival we couldn't believe how big the hotel was! Lovely reception, although the receptionist wasn't very pleasant which was a bit daunting as front desk staff are usually very warm & welcoming this particular girl wasn't. A smile goes a long way, I observed this girl for the entire weekend on different occasions and not once did I see her smile. Anyway, that said.. We had a wonderful stay our room was spotless, the service and food in the bar was excellent. We went to the leisure centre which was lovely, again, it was spotless the pool wasn't too busy either which was nice.
On our second night we ate in the restaurant the service, food & atmosphere was lovely although the menu was similar to the bar food menu with more expensive prices so choices were a little limited. On both nights we both got different dishes and were both really happy with our choices.
We had breakfast on both mornings which again I can't complain about it was enjoyable too.
Overall our stay was really enjoyable, food & service fab! Would definitely return.
Just one thing I would say that a receptionist is the forefront of any business and a warm, pleasant, welcoming person with a smile goes a long way.. Not just someone who is there because they have to be.

1 Thank Shell B
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to forward your feedback and delighted you enjoyed your experience with us.

Our Canal bar & bistro is very popular with both our hotel guests and the local community, with the recently introduced menu proving a great hit.

It is very concerning to learn of the very poor guest care you encountered from our reception team. We generally pride ourselves on our warm and genuine level of hospitality, but very evidently this was not the case on this occasion. You can be assured that I am personally dealing with this.

Thanking you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

Kind regards,
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We have just come back from a break in carton shearwater. This was our 3rd stay and have absolutely no complaints. We had lovely food in the bar. We were booked for 3 nights with 3 toddlers but unfortunately had to leave a day early as one of the kids was sick. The staff were all very helpful and understanding which we were very grateful of!
We will be returning in a few months again with the kids for another break minus the sickness!

• Stayed February 2014
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Carlton shearwater Hotel and great to learn of your positive stay with us.

Delighted you enjoyed your dining experiences with us and I will ensure all of your comments are passed onto the team.

I hope the younger members of family have fully recovered and I look forward to welcoming you back to Ballinasloe in the near future.

Best regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is a lovely hotel. Although the location isn't great, the service completely makes up for this. Me & my partner were booked in for a spa weekend. On arrival we were upgraded to a family suite, meaning we had two bedrooms, one which included a couch area. This was a great start. The receptionist was really helpful and booked us in for a meal on the Saturday night. Breakfast was fantastic. We were early down on both mornings but there was a que for people who weren't down early.
We ate in the restaurant on our second night. I have to admit the food wasn't the best here but we wine to keep us happy. The spa was amazing!! So relaxing and they really take care of you there.
I would recommend this hotel highly. It is an extremely family friendly hotel, where they always go the extra mile.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very positive feedback and delighted you enjoyed your experience with us.

All of the hard working team are highly committed to providing a genuinely warm and professional level of guest care and I will ensure your feedback is passed on to them

Disappointing our food standards did not reach their usual high standards and should you get the opportunity I would be most grateful to gain some further insight at the below email address.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

Warm regards,
gmcguinness@carlton.ie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballinasloe
Gullane's Hotel & Conference Centre
Hodson Bay Hotel
Hodson Bay Hotel
#5 of 9 in Athlone
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone

Been to Shearwater Hotel? Share your experiences!