“Excellent”
Review of Shearwater Hotel

Shearwater Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ballinasloe
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is a lovely hotel. Although the location isn't great, the service completely makes up for this. Me & my partner were booked in for a spa weekend. On arrival we were upgraded to a family suite, meaning we had two bedrooms, one which included a couch area. This was a great start. The receptionist was really helpful and booked us in for a meal on the Saturday night. Breakfast was fantastic. We were early down on both mornings but there was a que for people who weren't down early.
We ate in the restaurant on our second night. I have to admit the food wasn't the best here but we wine to keep us happy. The spa was amazing!! So relaxing and they really take care of you there.
I would recommend this hotel highly. It is an extremely family friendly hotel, where they always go the extra mile.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very positive feedback and delighted you enjoyed your experience with us.

All of the hard working team are highly committed to providing a genuinely warm and professional level of guest care and I will ensure your feedback is passed on to them

Disappointing our food standards did not reach their usual high standards and should you get the opportunity I would be most grateful to gain some further insight at the below email address.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Our stay here was shocking from the time to booking and even down to confirming our booking?? I emailed 3 times back and forward with the hotel each time a different person replying and the three times not getting anywhere?? So instead I rang to confirm the booking to which the girl wasn't to polite??
After confirming our booking then arrived on the Saturday to be told we were due to be checked in last night (Friday).. The girl on reception didn't even crack a smile..
The food in the bar wasn't anythin special.. We ordered wedges which came out like they were on steroids and hard in the middle?? The burger was cold..
Even doh we had a food voucher for a meal in the hotel we didn't use it as we didn't wanna eat here again when the food wasn't great..
In our room the temperature on the shower didn't work so the water was only luke warm
Wouldn't return to this hotel

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RaShellb
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

It is very concerning to learn of the very poor experience you had with us.

I would be very grateful if you would contact me at the below email address so I can gain further insight.

You can be assured that I will looking into all details of your stay with us and will hopefully get the opportunity to speak with you directly.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I stayed here last weekend, despite a few minor blips we did have a very nice weekend. Liz at reception was very friendly and helpful on arrival, however our room was freezing when we went upstairs! Food in the bar was average and service a bit slow! The restaurant menu was very limited also but we did enjoy our meal and had great service from Brian a very pleasant young man. Breakfast on both days was good nice selection of food. We will be back!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and disappointing to learn of the shortfall in both your guestroom heating and the below par dining experience.

Your feedback has been discussed at our weekly food & beverage meeting, with full corrective actions planned for to prevent future occurrences.

Thank you for your very positive feedback relating to both Brian and Liz, both of whom work very hard to deliver the high standards of guest care at the Carlton Shearwater Hotel.

I hope to see you returning in the not so distant future and when doing so please ask for me directly when making the booking.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in this hotel for a family event in the area. The rooms are great, although showing tiny signs of wear, which hopefully will be rectified to ensure they're in good shape.

All of the staff were excellent - friendly efficiency.

The 20m pool was not busy in the two occasions we visited it, and was clean and well maintained.

Didn't eat in the restaurant, so can't comment. The bar area was good for craic. The band on the Friday night was good and lively, the solo performer on the Saturday was fairly average to be honest. Still, there is plenty of seating around the lobby to avoid the bar area, if required.

The location is good if you wish to hit a number of areas around Galway and the mid-Shannon region, but to be honest, Ballinasloe itself doesn't have much by way of attractions. That said, the hotel itself is fairly self-contained and you could easily spend a relaxing day and night in the hotel itself.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank your for choosing to stay at the Carlton Shearwater Hotel and delighted you enjoyed your experience with us.

Our leisure centre is very popular with both guests and the local community, with Elaine and her team ensuring that the area is maintained to a high standard, and there is always one of the team at hand to lend advice.

On your next visit make sure to experience some of our food offerings options, especially with our newly introduced Canal Bar & Bistro menu, which is proving very popular.

Many thanks for the feedback, all of which will be passed onto the team.

Kind regards,
(General Manager)

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed in the Carlton Shearwater Hotel for 3 nights over the Christmas/New Year period, we were a group of both families and couples. Upon entering you get a sense of this hotel, with it's large reception area and comfortable seating - looks welcoming, check-in was easy and quick.

I stayed in an executive double, but to me it was like any hotel room I've stayed in before, nothing that would stand out for it to be called an "executive room", but it has everything you need. Some of the group stayed in the suites and these were great, so worth the upgrade!

Breakfast was plentiful and the staff serving were the most polite people I've ever come across, I have to hand it to them they really do a fantastic job - I mentioned this to the manager in the restaurant before I left so hope they received this feedback.

Some of us used the SPA, it was really lovely and prices are competitive so check it out :-)
Pool area was clean and pool itself a good size.

If I'm totally honest food in the bar was a bit of a hit & miss - often being cold, but the staff in the bar were obliging and helpful at all times and changed anything that was not right. Music in the bar could do with a bit of a change, i.e. a little more lively as some performers were not the best and we actually left and went to bed so as not to listen to them anymore!

Some small changes are needed in the hotel to bring more people to it as it's handy if you want to explore west and midlands of Ireland.

Note: I think if there was an option to select "Good" I would choose this instead of "Very Good" as I think it's in between, and "Average" would not be fair to the hotel...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your valuable feedback.

I will be reviewing both our entertainment schedule and the unfortunate delivery of below standard food offering, ensuring all necessary corrective action is taken.

I will ensure your positive feedback is passed onto our restaurant team again, who take great pride in providing warm hospitality to each individual guest.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had another great New Year break in this Hotel. Staff were great. Food was good as usual.
Liam and Estella couidn't do enough for everyone.Looking forward to our next visit
Family suites are very good value,the extra bedroom and tv were a godsend..

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
CarltonACHGM, General Manager at Shearwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your positive feedback and delighted you enjoyed another stay with us at the Carlton Shearwater Hotel.
All of the team here are highly committed in providing a genuinely warm and professional level of guest care, with both Liam & Estella a great example of this.
I will ensure your feedback is passed onto both of the above team members and indeed all of the team in general via our "guest feedback" forum.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

(General Manager)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Nice hotel. We stayed for the room rate of just €59 and has a double and single bed in the room. This also gives you access to the swimming pool. Staff are friendly. Rooms are big and comfortable. Food is nice. Pool area is clean.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballinasloe
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
The Prince of Wales Hotel
Abbey Hotel
Abbey Hotel
#1 of 3 in Roscommon

Been to Shearwater Hotel? Share your experiences!