Shearwater Hotel
$73
Athlone Springs Hotel(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$107
$95
Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$162
$157
Hotels.com
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$164
$159
Orbitz.com
The Prince of Wales Hotel(Athlone)(Great Value!)
$118
$87
$84
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfamily suiteleisure centrelovely hotelbar foodkids clubsteam roomboth nightsfamily breakunderground parkingtop classnight breakfood was lovelyfollowing morningboth morningslast weekendwould highly recommend this hotelsitting room
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Stayed here for a weekend spa break with 3 friends. Got a great deal, two free spa treatments, dinner and two night stay.
Dinner on first night was top class even if a little bit expensive for ballinasloe. Our free meal the following night was not surprising from a different menu but the food was still great. rooms were clean and very comfortable and spacious. Treatments was fabolous too and made use of their gym and leisure facilities. Overall would recommend, we didn't leave the hotel the whole weekend and every night was entertainment and music.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank DublinAnne14
Reviewed June 2, 2008

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. They are not child friendly at all when we booked in they put us, that is my husband,me and my 16 month old daughter in a room above the bar and function rooms, the noise was terrible we were awake all night. It is the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Four star hotels are usually high standard this one was awful.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank seaker
Reviewed April 30, 2008

In my time I have stayed in a mixture of hotels - from the luxurious to utter dives but in all my experience I have yet to come across a new hotel that has been so badly designed, poorly managed and cheaply finished.
I was in Ballinasloe for a bridge competition which the Carlton hotel was hosting and all of the following points noted, while not greatly inconveniencing, were very irritating. Toilets were a fair walk from the competition room; on entering the restroom there were toilets to the left and to the right of the passage but there were only 2 dryers down at the right - why not have 2 down at each end or failing that 1 at each end? A number of the toilet stall locks were broken and one of the monobloc taps came off in my hand. Some of the toilet seats were already broken and you could see the adhesive where the wood finish had been slapped up. Toilet tissue itself was thin and in the bedroom like gossamer! Cost cutting gone mad.
The competition room was fine, once they sorted out the air-conditioning, but despite having a bar inside the room and another bar just outside there was no member of staff there to serve drinks. If you wanted a drink you had to walk down to the main hotel bar and queue up there. Most competitors did not have time to do that. Despite being inconvenient for the competitors it didn't make any economic sense for the hotel!
The bedrooms were a long walk from the lifts and the corridors very badly lit at night - fairly creepy on your own! There seemed to be an enormous amount of wasted space. The bedroom was comfortable but already fraying round the edges - bits fell off the taps, the bed throws were stained, there was no socket beside the kettle so the cups and saucers had to be removed from the tray so that it could be lifted down to the nearest socket on the console table.
While I realise taste is personal, the decor was mismatched throughout and the quality of the tiles and finishes were inferior - how the hotel has been awarded 4 stars is beyond me. The staff were ill informed about the hotel facilities itself – I was told in reception that the pool didn't open till 9 on Sunday morning only to find when I turned up at 9 that it had already been open for an hour. Time was tight with the bridge competition so an extra hour would have been nice. The showers in the pool were badly positioned and sprayed about 2" above my head and drenched the floor and my toilet bag beyond.
As I said, all fairly minor complaints but shoddy and too numerous in a very new hotel. It'll be interesting to read the comments on this hotel in another five years time.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank dizi
Reviewed April 17, 2008

I absolutely love this hotel. I stayed a week while attending a conference in Athlone along with client appointments up and down the mid- and northern part of Ireland and NI, from Belfast to Dublin and Sligo to Galway. The room was immaculate and comfortable, and the staff went out of their way to help with any needs I brought forward. Plenty of parking, good food in the restaurant.

The rate was much less than other 4-star hotels, undoubtedly because it's a new place and they're trying to build a reputation. Everything was included, which is even better - you often get charged extra for these things at other hotels (parking, internet, breakfast). If you can get this hotel for under 100 Euros per night you should absolutely jump on it, as it's worth every penny. And if it's more than 100 Euro, then you're in range with all the other hotels, aren't you?

I wish they had a "green laundry" option. But how bad could it be if my only complaint is "They brought me a new bathrobe every day"?

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank MarittaC
Reviewed April 1, 2008

Where do I begin with this hotel?

We booked 2 rooms 6 weeks in advance for a 2-night weekend stay and experienced problems from check-in to check-out. We were told we would receive confirmation of our booking but we never got any. When we phoned to confirm 2 weeks before our visit, they told us they only had one room but could offer us another room without a bath. As we knew that other friends had only booked the day before our phone call, we suspected that they had over-booked. We insisted on a second room and got it.

On arrival, the hotel building itself was impressive and the rooms looked fine. But when one of us attempted to have a shower, the fittings fell off the wall and water gushed into the bath. It took 45 minutes for a man to arrive to disconnect the water supply. We were given another room . So they had rooms after all......

Then we went to the lounge to have some barfood. It is a huge room and was absolutely FREEZING, as were the huge reception area and the corridors in the hotel. It took the waiter 3 visits to our table to get our simple order right. First he forgot the chips, then he brought only one cup of tea, not the two we had ordered. The food itself was fine.

As other reviews have mentioned, service in this hotel is very patchy. It seems like they have no systems at all. I used the (one and only) form to order breakfast in my room on the Saturday morning ( for an exhorbitant €7.50 extra). It arrived at 8.20am - 30-60 minutes earlier than ordered. 15 minutes later, a girl knocked on my door to service the room. I told her I wasn't even out of bed yet! She didn't seem to know which rooms were occupied.

There was no "Do not disturb" sign in the room. I later asked reception for one but they said they didn't have any. They promised to put one in my room later but they didn't. Nor did they replace the breakfast form. So I had to ask another guest for hers!

The hotel has a lovely swimming pool/spa complex and this was one of the reasons we chose to stay there. On Saturday morning, the water in the pool was uncomfortably cold - so much so that it was impossible to spend more than 5 minutes in it. The jacuzzi was luke-warm and the steam room was tepid. The changing rooms were also cold. I mentioned this to a staff member but she just shrugged as if she didn't know what I was talking about. If there is one word I would use to describe this hotel, it is COLD. Only the bedrooms were warm.

On Friday night, the hotel had a big function and the band played until 2.30am. I found it impossible to sleep through the loud music. In any other hotel I have statyed in, live bands stop playing between 12.30am and 1am....but not in Ballinasloe!

We spent all day Saturday playing bridge with nearly 200 people in the big function room, which was virtually unheated. Again, complaints were shrugged off. In fact, I was told by one staff member that the temperature was 26 degrees - which was untrue.

The meal we were served was fine and the waiting staff courteous and helpful.

If there was a problem with the heating on Friday and Saturday, no one admitted it. Somewhat miraculously, on Sunday morning, the heating came on - but too late for me. Maybe they will get their act together sometime. But this is one hotel I will never stay in again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business