“Motel not Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ballinasloe
Geneva, Switzerland
“Motel not Hotel”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Recently stayed here for one night. It has a four star rating so we expected a little above your basic hotel,we were in for a major shock.
On arrival on a cold December day first thing I noticed was the fact there was no fire lighting which resembled the cold reception we received at check in.Our room was freezing and the bathroom dirty with broken fittings. Room size was adequate but carpets and fittings were worn. Very poor lighting which helps to hide the overall poor state of the room.
Restaurant service was slow with highly untrained staff. No apology, just simply a take it or leave it attitude. We went to the bar for a drink after dinner to find more of the same,dirty tables and unfriendly staff.
At no stage was it possible to have a hot shower. On arrival for breakfast next morning a woman reluctantly pointed us in the direction of a table. Breakfast choice was the worst I have seen in a long time. I had to ask for tea/coffee at least three times which meant when we finally got it we had finished eating.
Staff were unfriendly and in some cases rude. At check out nobody asked us how our stay was and I know why.
In a nutshell stay clear of this place

Room Tip: Continue driving to Galway city where you will find real hotels.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Greenbit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Looking at the 55hr sale for their 5th birthday (2 nights room only €60 for two adults/2 kids), asked if deal would fit three kids and two adults, told perfect. Booked but next morning find an email stating Id need to upgrade for €50 extra as three kids. Shocked and of course this completely ruined the great deal I felt Id booked as I'd previously stayed in this hotel with up to four children and two adults comfortably in a standard room. However after a few emails back and forth (from the hotel's point view this was €50 was requested for my comfort but the language in 1st email demanded it) the hotel decided to offer a complementary upgrade to their family suite (two bedrooms with separate corridor and large family bathroom with double sinks, huge bath and separate shower).

On arriving at the hotel, it took 15 minutes to check in. Stood waiting while the two female staff members discussed what they were going to do about a blocked toilet and also two money bags of 20cents for some other staff member. Also two phonecalls taken so I was fully aware of what special offers were on. Eventually the lady behind me decided to bypass me and ask to check in. She was swiftly put her place and told to wait behind me!!! Eventually checked in with no welcome/details on meal times/leisure center etc. Had to ring reception later to find out what time Leisure Center closed at (however we were never asked to leave both evening pass the children's time).

Family suite well worth the €25 per night upgrade but the layout of it meant we never used the sitting room area/balcony as these were off the second bedroom (kettle/hairdryer in main bedroom). Terrible view. Room did get bit chilly at night (but I appreciate its December 21st/22nd) but air conditioning unit were easy to use but very loud. Also our toilet blocked after first evening/bedside lamp started hissing/smoking and would certainly would have gone on fire had we not immediately switched it off. Smelt so bad had to leave it out on the corridor. Next morning left it beside the bed with a note but was still there when room refreshed. Later that evening second TV no signal and rang reception, lovely staff member up and fixed TV and immed removed the lamp, shocked.

The Leisure Center has a fantastic Children's pool, lovely sunlongers that one can move around easily. Staff memners very welcoming and friendly. However the blue towels are rough and threadbare, had lovely fluffy white ones on the last visit.

Underground carpark excellent, we only stay now in hotel's that have this facility.

This is the first time we didnt eat in the hotel and found good choice in Ballinasloe Town itself.

Well def be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We used this hotel for our Golden Wedding Celebrations. We had dined there several times before.
Nothing was too much trouble for staff or management.
Usual friendly staff.
Excellent meal.
Cost very reasonable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank septagenarian
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Really lovely hotel. beautiful rooms, really clean and up to date. Great bathrooms with seperate bath and showers. Little balcony as well is great.
Only thing I did not like was there was no free wifi, only bitbuzz which I really didnt like, and you had to pay to watch anything decent on the tv. I felt the price was high enough without adding expenses like that to it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I managed to get a great deal on the carlton website ( 60 euro for 2 nights room only for 2 adults and 2 children - their 55hr sale for 5th birthday) for the weekend just gone. To be honest I was not expecting too much as we paid so little....how surprised was I. I am a little shocked by some of the reviews as we found the hotel fantastic. When we walked into the lobby we were really surprised how nice it was. Very welcoming and lovely lounge area. We were lucky enough to get a complementry upgrade to room 248. Absolutely gorgeous. Beds lovely and comfortable. Room was spotless and bright and airy. The reception staff were all very friendly. We arrived early and our room was ready when we arrived. The hotel was very busy on both the friday and saturday night. There seemed to be some functions on. The hotel rang me a couple of days in advance to advise that the restaurant was very busy and asked where would I like to dine. I thought that this was great service. As we had two young children we chose to dine in the bar both nights. Even though both bar and restaurant were very busy the food was delicious on both nights. We had to wait a couple of mins and the bar was very busy but personally I think that in the current climate it is great to see a business do well. It was also nice to have a buzzy atmosphere. Pool was also really nice and the kiddie pool was a lovely temperature for the little ones. Again the girl and guy in the pool were very friendly chatting to the kids etc. My mam used the spa and got a special offer. There seemed to be a few specials on. I didnt use the spa myself but had a look in and it seemed lovely. Location wise there was not much to do in the town however we drove into galway city.. 40mins ..and had lovely day out. Athlone is not too far away aswell if you want to go on a boat ride on the shannon. I think it is a good base. As i said I had to young children with me and the hotel is only an hour and half away from dublin and then i still had the option of going into galway city on the saturday. All in all I would like to thank the staff in the carlton shearwater for a great stay. I would def recommend to friends and family and I look forward to going back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Katie010
Reviewed November 19, 2012

A group of us stayed here recently for a family reunion!
The hotel is nicely decorated and the lobby area is really spacious! We liked to sit here at night and have drinks rather than go into the bar! The bar area itself is nice enough but the seating looked a bit grubby and is in need of re upholstering!
The staff were helpful (however one member of our group mentioned that the person at check in 'ignored' them for a few minutes before checking them in!). The waitressing staff for dinner seemed a bit disorganised (got the order wrong)!
The dinner in the restaurant was very good and I could not fault it at all. However, breakfast is a different story. The bowl of 'fresh fruit' was not fresh and looked like it that had been there for a few days! The other bowls of fruit were 'tinned' fruit and the natural yogurt was horrible! The selection of breads was very small (toast or brown bread)! The cooked food was fine!
Overall, we had a nice stay but I think the hotel could improve on a few things to make it better!

Room Tip: Book a room away from the function room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Laois
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here over the October bank holiday weekend and we were very impressed with the hotel and the facilities. The kids club was a welcome surprise and excellent value for money, both my children attended 3 hours in the morning (inc breakfast) and 5 hours in the evening (inc dinner) for 28 euro. The leisure centre was well kept and the pools were lovely and kept at a nice warm temperature. We ate in the Canal Bar and the food and service were wonderful. Overall it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballinasloe
Sheraton Athlone
Hodson Bay Hotel
#5 of 9 in Athlone
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,983 reviews
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone

Been to Shearwater Hotel? Share your experiences!