“Going downhill recently.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rossnowlagh
Smugglers Creek Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Rossnowlagh B&B and Inns
Belfast, Northern Ireland
“Going downhill recently.”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We have been going to this place for years but of late, I feel under new management the good name is being tarnished by poor service and bland food.

We were here as a large group a few weeks ago and the service was slow, extremely slow, with little to no apologies from the staff. Any small request out of the ordinary, such as extra bread with my soup for my elderly grandmother to taste were met with a look of distain and never fulfilled.

Food was bland and expensive for what you get.

If you are in the area, try the Gaslight.

1 Thank Jambo30

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Located on the southern cliffs overlooking Rosnowlagh the views of Donegal Bay from the Smugglers Creek Inn are stunning. The day we visited the sun was out and the view from the restaurants windows could not have been more beautiful. We called in for lunch and had the BLT on ciabatta and the steak on forcaccia... amazing! The steak comes complete with fired onions, melted cheese and relish with a garden salad. Im not sure if these breads are made 'in house' but they certainly arn't the usual run of the mill and tasted wonderful! The staff were very friendly and made the whole visit a joy! Very much enjoyed and have no reservation recommending as one of the best lunches in Donegal! Expect to pay 10-15 euro per head for lunch including drinks...

Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Letterkenny, Ireland
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,057 helpful votes
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Had lunch here recently and it was a wonderful experience. Never heard of it before a colleague of mine mentioned it. She told me to go to Sands Hotel in Rossnowlagh and if the tide is out drive across the beach and up the hill to Smugglers. She was spot on. Best way to find it and a short cut also. Got seated immediately by the window which offered excellent sights over the bay. It was quiet busy during our visit but the service was top notch and with a friendly smile also. I ordered the burger and chips and had no complaints whatsoever. Would have loved to stay for the afternoon and enjoy a few drinks but because I was driving that was not an option. The bar was old style and cosy, my type of place. Now that I know how to get there I will be back, several times.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank letterkennycaint
Dundonald, Northern Ireland
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Staying in Fermanagh on a sibling get together, I was keen to return to a place I'd visited many times with my own family and thoroughly enjoyed many years ago.

We went for lunch on a lovely sunny Thursday (one of the few recently!). On arrival we found a table easily - not the buzzing crowds of my memory it has to be said. Unfortunately we were forced to move by the awful smell of stale urine coming from the men's loos (only one of the ladies was operational but it was clean). There is NO excuse for poor,smelly facilities...

Our order was taken promptly, drinks arrived, lukewarm pot of tea included, but the food took an age to arrive in a less than busy bar. When it arrived one dish was served with sauce, when it had been ordered without and noted by the waitress. Two of the meals were entirely tasteless - how can you make goats cheese and red pepper tartlets that have NO taste - and very mediocre and bland minute steak - very disappointing. That said the fish dish when it was served correctly was fine and the mussels in white wine were gorgeous (though much more bread needs to be served with them to appreciate the sauce).

As this was treat being paid for by one of our party, I was reluctant to make a fuss at the time and in hindsight we should have said more at the time. I don't think I would return in a hurry - but if you are planning a visit go with something fishy to be on the safe side.

1 Thank Jno2010
Istanbul
Reviewed July 21, 2012

A family bithday - overnight -lovely food an astounding Atlantic view. Lovely clean simple rooms.
Often visit on a Sunday for the day to Rossnowlagh. nearest Atlantic beach to us in Cavan - walk, swim and lunch in Smugglers Creek. Will overnight more often I think

Room Tip: One with a small balcony good for friends to gather
3 Thank maire o
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

We were made very welcome and our room was perfect. It was small but that was ok especially because it came with fantastic views. Beautiful newish ensuite. Breakfast was great and included watching the dolphins from the ideal location. Short walk to the beach.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Myself and my mother were in the area due to unfortunate circumstances. I will not go into too much detail here but we went to the Sandhouse Hotel with some flowers and card as my father had a heart attack on the 7 July 2012 on their premises and subsequently died. The staff were superb and we wished to acknowlege our gratitude to them.
I had heard very mixed reports about the smugglers creek but I was very dissapointed with everything really. We decided to have lunch before the short journey home. When we arrived we were seated and the order was taken. The waitress was pleasant but not over friendly by any means. We made our order and had to wait around 40 minutes for our food. When it arrived I would describe it as adequate. I personally ordered the home made burger but very little chips and side salad with it. Ater we had finished our meal we were left sitting there until we finally got up and went to the bar to make payment. I decided to use the mens toilets and noticed that the door didnt fully shut and standing at the urinals you are in view of the bar. This I see has been mentioned by previous reviews but obviously nothing done about it.
When we were leaving we come across our waitress eating her lunch. She hadn't bothered to come back to us !!
Usually in theses circumstances we would just leave it as 'ah well we just wont go back' . But unfortunately my mother has been on the toilet numerous times since we have arrived home so I felt it deserved a mention. As my title states the most positive thing I could say about the place is the view.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rossnowlagh
Sandhouse Hotel
Mill Park Hotel
Mill Park Hotel
#3 of 7 in Donegal Town
Bay View Hotel & Leisure Centre

Been to Smugglers Creek Inn? Share your experiences!