“Really Beautiful location”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rossnowlagh
Cavan, Ireland
“Really Beautiful location”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This Hotel is located right on Rossnowlagh beach. There are panoramic views over the bay and down the wide stretch of beach with the mountains in the back group. We were so lucky in that the skies were blue for the time we were there and the beautiful deserted beaches around Killybegs and Ardara were shades Caribbean blues and greens and soft white sands and coral sands.
The rooms were nice and bathrooms fresh and clean. Comfortable beds and powerful shower, flat screen TV. The linen on the beds was of good quality but there have brown blankets on the beds that looked very outdated. There are only visible after you have slept in them but they really need to be updates.

The staff across all areas were really friendly and helpful. A credit to the hotel and the Donegal “no bother” attitude to life, nothing you could ask for would cause them any bother.

The Surfers bar had a young crowd in it the night we were there, and dancing and music. All very lively and friendly.

Great full service breakfast again overlooking the beach.

I would definitely revisit this hotel, good value and a treat at the same time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
NEWTOWNARDS
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband and i stayed at the Sandhouse hotel from friday 13th for two nights, and had dinner in the restaurant both nights. We had a very enjoyable weekend, as we were celebrating my husbands birthday, and everything we received at the Sandhouse from we arrived was exceptional, accomadation, food, staff and the manager taking the time to see if everything was to our satisfaction, which it certainly was. We wish them every success, and will be back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room with a seaveiw, you will not be dissappointed
Ireland
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a four night break at the Sandhouse Hotel. Everything was perfect. The place, the food, the room, the staff; all faultless.
Great served breakfasts cooked freshly for each guest, well done Caroline and all the waitresses.
The manager/owner Paul was always on hand when the staff were busy to ensure that everything was running smoothly. Well done to the chef to produce such a wonderful roast duckling for Saturday dinner when the kitchen must have been hectic. The Surf bar staff were friendly and efficient.
The room service was invisible and yet our room was always clean. I could find fault somewhere I suppose, but I would only be selfish so that I would not have to share this example of Irish hospitality at its best with so many others. Well done the Sandhouse and see you all soon again

1 Thank Pgor
Glenties, Ireland
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We spent Easter weekend at this Hotel, weather was not great but hotel is superb.
The location rigght on the beach is stunning, I enjoyed the surfing, and my wife enjoyed the spa.
The food in the dining room is excellent, the4 rooms and service were also excellent.
An Innkeepers Inn, white table cloths, service as it should bbe, we will return.

Room Tip: A seaview is a bonus
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I have stayed in the sandhouse hotel 3 times and I have to say that it is one of my favourite hotels in the world! It exudes old world charm. Book a room with a sea view and at night the large bay windows make you feel like you are actually at sea. The rooms are very large - the furnishings although not modern are of a very good quality. I love all the quirky lounge areas scattered around the hotel and the glasshouse restaurant has the most amazing views. This hotel has an atmosphere and ambience that I have not experienced anywhere else. I certainly am looking forward to planning my next stay!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovestravel172
Northern Ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We have just spent a few days at the Sandhouse in the rain and we both really enjoyed it. The staff were so friendly and helpful. On our last night, we decided to go to the Smugglers' restaurant and asked the receptionist to book us a taxi. As she was having difficulty getting one, the other receptionist offered to take us and collect us. Breakfast in the morning was excellent and it was great that our order was taken at the table and brought to us. Much better than a buffet. Our room was on the top floor and was very comfortable. My one criticism was that there wasn't individual toiletries, just bottles of soap and hand cream attached to the wall. We had dinner in the hotel on 2 nights and the food was of a high standard. I was a little disappointed that the menu didn't change each night even a little as suggested on the website. We definitely intend going back in the summer when the weather is hopefully better.

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room with a sea view. A twin room has a double and a single bed in it.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Aerobird
PDiver, General Manager at Sandhouse Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We will take your comments on board also. Kind regards Paul
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I stayed for one night in the Sandhouse, Rossnowlagh the day afer I checked out of Harveys Point (See my other review) and boy did I regret it.
My reasons are quiet simple. To start with I found the hotel to be quiet expensive, the night prior I was in a 5 star resort and paid only a few euro more so Euro for Euro I can't understand how the Sandhouse justified its price. The second issue I had is that I booked the room over the phone about a week before travelling and yes you guessed it there lost my reservation. In this day and age for a reception staff member to take a phone booking and then not enter it into the system is unforgivable.
Now for me this hotel is a 2-3 star quality, with the typical type of decor and rooms I seem to find dotted around Irish coast resorts, ie shabby and old. The hotel seems to be living off the fact that Tony Blair used to stay there as a kid, in fact it advertises this. Thats just not a good enough reason to stay here or in any hotel.
I had breakfast one of the mornings which I did find acceptable so no issues there but I cant comment on the dinner quality as I ate elsewhere.
My biggest gripe with the hotel those was the treatment by the staff when I needed assistance. Our car was damaged in the car park and i asked the reception staff to have security to check the CCTV for me. I was told this would be done and they'll call me with the info needed. I checked out knowing that the matter wasin hand. After a few days with no phone call I called back to follow up, again I was told it was no problem and they would call me back. You guessed it, they didnt call me back, in fact they never returned a single call over the numerous times that I contacted them. Even the manager ywho seemed eager to help when I spoke to him didnt bother calling me back. The simple fact here is that the hotel (family run) didnt care one little bit about its customers and the fact that my car was damaged on their property. Sandhouse, you broke the golden rule !! Pu the customer first !!!
So in a nut shell, overall I found the hotel to be poor quality but worse than that the customer servce or lack of it should put doubts in your mind as to whether or not you should spend your money here. I wont be back and I will not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
17 Thank Seanie_pc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rossnowlagh
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
#4 of 5 in Bundoran
Creevy Pier Hotel
Creevy Pier Hotel
#1 of 4 in Ballyshannon

Been to Sandhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!