“A little gem”
Review of Tara Hotel

Tara Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Killybegs
Reviewed July 11, 2013

After a long day driving from North east england via ferry to Killybegs was welcomed by friendly staff and the best pint of G i have had in quite some time.
Stayed the week did my job and cannot wait to go back.
Hotel clean and smart- menu varied enough and reasonable.
Gym downstairs for those who can mange that stuff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Tass 511,

Thank your for your very positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I will pass your comments on to the hardworking team here.

We constantly aim to offer the highest quality accomodation and food offering at a reasonable price and strive to ensure that our hotel is always at its best. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Tara Hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for Tara Hotel

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Tara is really very much a mixed bag.On arrival the receptionist made our party of four extremely welcome in a natural,non-condescending way.The rooms were clean and of a reasonable size. The bar staff were professional and polite....so why my doubts you may well ask?? The main problem came with food...two of the party got excellent meals whilst the other two received fare which was barely edible!! Amazingly,for a hotel situated 20 yards away from Ireland's premier fishing port,the seafood was abysmal!!When one of the party mentioned this to the waitress,she seemed to take the complaint on a personal level,consequently from there on we were treated to silent service.Breakfast was fine ,albeit involving a lengthy wait for someone to actually serve us.On checking out,we had the pleasure of dealing with our "arrival" receptionist...so we left on a high! Hence my inability to write a flowing report on Tara Hotel,Killybegs!!

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the harbour.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear whiteman_7,

Thank your for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Tara Hotel. Our warm and welcoming staff often receive great comments from guests and it is good to see this occassion was no different.

There were issues with your visit for which I must offer an apology; located as we are overlooking Killybegs harbour we are lucky to have an abundance of fresh seafood on our doorstep. It is obvious that the quality of your meal was not up to our usual high standards; I have shared your feedback with the kitchen team and our complaint handling procedures will be reviewed with our floor staff.

Should you wish to embellish further on your visit I ask that you contact me directly at opsmanager@tarahotel.ie. We appreciate all guest feedback as it allows to continuously assess and improve our offering.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family 20 of us stayed at the Tara for two night. We were made to feel very welcome. The hotel rooms are larger that you would expect for a 3 star and breakfast was very good. The bar food is also reasonably priced. The hotel was exceptionally clean there is also a nice view looking over the harbour, and the front rooms have a large balcony. You must visit the Sleve League cliffs which are about a 15 min drive from the hotels and are one the highest sea cliffs in Europe! The reception staff were very friendly and I woudl recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The harbour view rooms have a large balcony
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Pauline M,

Thank your for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear your satisfaction with all aspects of your stay; I will pass your comments on the team here.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Tara in the future,

Yours Sicnerely

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed in Killybegs as part of a Road Scholar (E.I.L.) trip in Ireland. We found the hotel to be quite comfortable and probably a good deal for the price. Breakfasts and the dinners quite good. We found, however, that some small maintenance items were overlooked, and we had to alert the staff. The desk lamp bulb was out, as well as the light over the sink. We think that the sink light may have been replaced, but then the bulb life was quite short-lived.
One travel book aptly called Killybegs a place to take a vacation from a vacation. From Killybegs, a tour out through Glen Columb Cille and Mailin More is easy to do and worth the time. It is one place to really see the bogs of Ireland and its peat harvesting.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear dick_mary,

Thank you for feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are always happy to welcome large groups such as yours and am glad to hear that you enjoyed dining with us here in the Tara.

I must apologise regarding the issue with the bulb in your room; our records show that the bulb was changed when notified but went again; subsequently it was discoverd there was a fault with the fitting. I do hope it did not impact too much on your stay.

Killybegs and the surrounding areas offer beautiful scenery and a chance to unwind away from the busy bustle of towns and cities; many guests comment on the peaceful environment here.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Tara is centrally located in Killybegs - fancying a bite of lunch we decided to try the Tara's carvery which is self styled as one "of Ireland's best".
I ordered the cod which I thought would be a safe and pleasant option given that Ireland's largest fishing port was literally a stone's throw away. The Cod was a huge disapointment - there was literally rivulets of grease coming out of it - accompanied by a selection of veg which resembled someone who had been on the suntan bed too long. I haven't been let down by a carvery so badly in a long time. My wife ordered one panini type and was served a completely different one - with no floor staff about she had to make the best of it. I had to order a second cappucino as the first I got was cold - I was braced for this as I could see it standing abandoned on the bar counter for nearly 15 minutes before someone served me with it.

All in all a tragic waste of time - better option was to buy fresh fish on the pier and cook it ourselves. Which we did.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CrackerMackey
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear CrackerMackey,

Thank you for your review, we welcome all guest feedback as it identifies any areas for improvement and allows us to continuously assess and improve our standards.

Firstly, I must apologise for what was obviously a below standard experience in terms of food and service. This is not a reflection of our normally high standards; our staff particularly receive positive feedback as reflected in guest feedback & comments. We always have at least 3 floor staff on duty for lunch; therefore, I find your comments regarding the lack of floor staff misleading and would question the complete lack of attention described. However, it is evident that our staff were not as attentive on your visit as they should have been.

Our carvery is usually highly praised from both locals and those visiting the area as it offers a selection of fresh roasts, fish dishes and healthy options. I have spoken with our Head Chef and steps have been put in place to ensure that all our dishes, particularly our deep fried fresh fish, are of the highest quality.

Once again, thank you for your comments. I ask that you allow us the opportunity to make amends for your exoerience, should you visit the area again in the near future I ask that you contact me directly at opsmanager@tarahotel.ie

Reviewed June 1, 2013

From the moment we arrived, ( May 29 ) the staff here were fantastic. Always greeting with a smile and a few words. The room was brilliant for a 3* standard. The bed was really comfortable and the view was great. The food was excellent. I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear BOH4LIFE,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear so many positives and good comments about the team and the hotel, particularly regarding the quality of our rooms.

As part of continuously improving our product we have recently invested in upgrading all our rooms with 26" flatscreen TV & changed all our bedding to duvets with colour co-ordinated cushions and throws. Along with our complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, we feel that our facilities are comparable with higher standard hotels.

I will pass your comments on to our fantastic team here. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Tara Hotel again in the future.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Arriving in the hotel carpart, I wasn't sure what to expect. However, I was pleasantly suprised. The receptionist was polite and very helpful (I was having car problems and she offered to get me some numbers for local garages). The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The only issue with the room was the shower. The pin that you pull out on the taps to turn it into a shower was not working. Trying to shower and hold this pin out at the same time is not easy! Lunch in the restaurant was nice and the waitress was friendly. Breakfast could have been a bit better - there wasn't much choice from the cold buffet. Apart from that, the hotel was very nice and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear InvernessSarah2011,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that your stay, overall, was enjoyable. From your comments it is clear that there were minor issues; I must apologise for the problem with the shower was obviously inconvenient and this has been addressed by our maintenance team. We are also taking on board your comments about our cold buffet; this is now being reviewed with the restaurant team and we will be expanding our offering in the near future.
Apart from this I am happy to hear that our receptionist was helpful and that you would return to stay with us again. Should you return to stay with us in the future we would be happy to offer you a complimentary upgrade to a suite, please contact me directly at opsmanager@tarahotel.ie when booking.

Yours Sincerely,

John Dee

Also consider these accommodations in or near Killybegs
Bay View Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ardara
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to Tara Hotel? Share your experiences!