“Lovely Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Killybegs
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family 20 of us stayed at the Tara for two night. We were made to feel very welcome. The hotel rooms are larger that you would expect for a 3 star and breakfast was very good. The bar food is also reasonably priced. The hotel was exceptionally clean there is also a nice view looking over the harbour, and the front rooms have a large balcony. You must visit the Sleve League cliffs which are about a 15 min drive from the hotels and are one the highest sea cliffs in Europe! The reception staff were very friendly and I woudl recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The harbour view rooms have a large balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Pauline M,

Thank your for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear your satisfaction with all aspects of your stay; I will pass your comments on the team here.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Tara in the future,

Yours Sicnerely

John Dee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed in Killybegs as part of a Road Scholar (E.I.L.) trip in Ireland. We found the hotel to be quite comfortable and probably a good deal for the price. Breakfasts and the dinners quite good. We found, however, that some small maintenance items were overlooked, and we had to alert the staff. The desk lamp bulb was out, as well as the light over the sink. We think that the sink light may have been replaced, but then the bulb life was quite short-lived.
One travel book aptly called Killybegs a place to take a vacation from a vacation. From Killybegs, a tour out through Glen Columb Cille and Mailin More is easy to do and worth the time. It is one place to really see the bogs of Ireland and its peat harvesting.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dick_mary,

Thank you for feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are always happy to welcome large groups such as yours and am glad to hear that you enjoyed dining with us here in the Tara.

I must apologise regarding the issue with the bulb in your room; our records show that the bulb was changed when notified but went again; subsequently it was discoverd there was a fault with the fitting. I do hope it did not impact too much on your stay.

Killybegs and the surrounding areas offer beautiful scenery and a chance to unwind away from the busy bustle of towns and cities; many guests comment on the peaceful environment here.

Yours Sincerely

Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Tara is centrally located in Killybegs - fancying a bite of lunch we decided to try the Tara's carvery which is self styled as one "of Ireland's best".
I ordered the cod which I thought would be a safe and pleasant option given that Ireland's largest fishing port was literally a stone's throw away. The Cod was a huge disapointment - there was literally rivulets of grease coming out of it - accompanied by a selection of veg which resembled someone who had been on the suntan bed too long. I haven't been let down by a carvery so badly in a long time. My wife ordered one panini type and was served a completely different one - with no floor staff about she had to make the best of it. I had to order a second cappucino as the first I got was cold - I was braced for this as I could see it standing abandoned on the bar counter for nearly 15 minutes before someone served me with it.

All in all a tragic waste of time - better option was to buy fresh fish on the pier and cook it ourselves. Which we did.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CrackerMackey
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear CrackerMackey,

Thank you for your review, we welcome all guest feedback as it identifies any areas for improvement and allows us to continuously assess and improve our standards.

Firstly, I must apologise for what was obviously a below standard experience in terms of food and service. This is not a reflection of our normally high standards; our staff particularly receive positive feedback as reflected in guest feedback & comments. We always have at least 3 floor staff on duty for lunch; therefore, I find your comments regarding the lack of floor staff misleading and would question the complete lack of attention described. However, it is evident that our staff were not as attentive on your visit as they should have been.

Our carvery is usually highly praised from both locals and those visiting the area as it offers a selection of fresh roasts, fish dishes and healthy options. I have spoken with our Head Chef and steps have been put in place to ensure that all our dishes, particularly our deep fried fresh fish, are of the highest quality.

Once again, thank you for your comments. I ask that you allow us the opportunity to make amends for your exoerience, should you visit the area again in the near future I ask that you contact me directly at opsmanager@tarahotel.ie

Yours Sincerely

IRELAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

From the moment we arrived, ( May 29 ) the staff here were fantastic. Always greeting with a smile and a few words. The room was brilliant for a 3* standard. The bed was really comfortable and the view was great. The food was excellent. I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear BOH4LIFE,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear so many positives and good comments about the team and the hotel, particularly regarding the quality of our rooms.

As part of continuously improving our product we have recently invested in upgrading all our rooms with 26" flatscreen TV & changed all our bedding to duvets with colour co-ordinated cushions and throws. Along with our complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, we feel that our facilities are comparable with higher standard hotels.

I will pass your comments on to our fantastic team here. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Tara Hotel again in the future.

Inverness
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Arriving in the hotel carpart, I wasn't sure what to expect. However, I was pleasantly suprised. The receptionist was polite and very helpful (I was having car problems and she offered to get me some numbers for local garages). The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The only issue with the room was the shower. The pin that you pull out on the taps to turn it into a shower was not working. Trying to shower and hold this pin out at the same time is not easy! Lunch in the restaurant was nice and the waitress was friendly. Breakfast could have been a bit better - there wasn't much choice from the cold buffet. Apart from that, the hotel was very nice and I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear InvernessSarah2011,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that your stay, overall, was enjoyable. From your comments it is clear that there were minor issues; I must apologise for the problem with the shower was obviously inconvenient and this has been addressed by our maintenance team. We are also taking on board your comments about our cold buffet; this is now being reviewed with the restaurant team and we will be expanding our offering in the near future.
Apart from this I am happy to hear that our receptionist was helpful and that you would return to stay with us again. Should you return to stay with us in the future we would be happy to offer you a complimentary upgrade to a suite, please contact me directly at opsmanager@tarahotel.ie when booking.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

It was a surprise to find a hotel of this quality in such a tiny fishing village and a real pleasure to have such a comfortable modern spacious room at such a reasonable price. The dining is really good in the very modern dining room overlooking the ocean and the service is terrific.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear holtrip255103,

Thank you for your feedback & your comments in relation to your recent stay at the Tara Hotel. Many of our guests are surprised by the high standard of accomodation & service provided by the team here. They will be very happy to hear of your positive experience & hopefully we can welcome you back to the Tara Hotel again in the future.

Your Sincerely,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Very enjoyable overnight stay at
Tara. Staff helpful and friendly, food excellent, beautiful location and good value for money. Rooms clean, fairly spacious and we had lovely view over the harbour. Meal in restaurant was top class, and price included bottle of wine. I'll be back!

Anne

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TaraHotelKillybegs, General Manager at Tara Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Annemcd1,

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted to hear of your feedback from your recent stay with us; the team here will be pleased to hear such great comments! Many guests comment on the high standards maintained by the housekeeping staff, the quality of food served by our team of chefs and the friendly welcome provided by all.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Tara Hotel again in the future.

John Dee

Also consider these accommodations in or near Killybegs
Bay View Hotel & Leisure Centre
#3 of 7 in Donegal Town
The Abbey Hotel
The Abbey Hotel
#6 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Tara Hotel? Share your experiences!