“Killybegs and overpriced seafood” 2 of 5 stars
Review of 22 Main Street

22 Main Street
Ranked #11 of 14 Restaurants in Killybegs
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Description: 22 Main Street Killybegs, houses Hughies Gastro bar & Hughies Bar. Located in the busy fishing port of Killybegs, Ireland's premier fishing capital. it has no difficulty sourcing fresh fish from the north atlantic.The Gastro bar offers great value with all main course dishes selling at €10. 50cl carafes of wine both red & white are also available at €10.
Dublin, Ireland
“Killybegs and overpriced seafood”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

We dined at 22 Main St on a Friday evening, as we were the first diners we should have realised then, if the food was great there would have been more people at 7.30pm.

Firstly we had to hunt for staff, who seemed to be more interested in their own conversation. We were sat in a large booth, for a long time. After finishing our aperitif we were still left in the booth. Finally we were taken to the table, the wine was not poured no water offered nor any bread. The starters were ok, the calamari and prawns.
However both around €10 for 4 prawns and a few calamari rings. For main course I decided to go for the special "red gurnard", now from reading other reviews it seems to be the regular special. It was nice and meaty, the buerre blanc made it very tasty. My husband had the sole and said it was completely tasteless. It seems they have not learnt from previous reviews as they continue to serve overcooked veggies. Everything fell off your fork when you tried to get it to your mouth. As we were not too happy with the quality of cooking we decided not to stay for dessert. The staff did what they had to, carry the plates to the table, but nothing more. I was lead to believe Killybegs has a catering college there, if so and the staff at 22 Main St came from there the teachers are not doing a very good job. The menus other people have mentioned were not offered or visible anywhere, nowadays we would expect a good menu for around €20-€25. Our bill came to over €75. Very disappointed about the seafood on offer. Included in that was a half bottle of wine for €12.50. ridiculous.

The decor needs a bit of sprucing up, plastic covers on the tablecloth definetly cheapens the restaurant, and viewing the old dancefloor and the dim courtyyard is not what you expect when they do have a sea view hiden away.

• 3 of 5 stars
hughieKillybegs, Owner at 22 Main Street, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant and I would like to address some of the points you raised in your review.

Firstly re "being the first to dine at 7.30pm" is nothing unusual in an Irish rural restaurant as most people Irish people like to hit a restaurant "en masse" at 8.00pm to 8.30pm.

Re the Prawns and the Calamari "both around the €10" The Calamari is priced at €7.50 and the Prawns are €9.50.

I am glad you enjoyed the Red Gurnard so much and we did feature it as often as we could because like yourself every one who had it thoroughly enjoyed it. Sadly we will not be able to include it as often during the winter months as our regular supplier has now changed his fishing grounds and will instead supply us with Hake, Monkfish, John Dory.

Re being "left in a large booth while you had an appertiff"; yes on arrival that is the normal proceedure. We seat the customer in one of our bar booths, serve an appertiff, show the menus, let you make a decision, take your food order, and when the meal is ready to serve, we then bring the diner to their dining table. This usually takes 10 to 15 minutes from time of taking the diner's order. I can not imagine this taking any longer as you were our first diners on the evening in question.

The white dots on the menu denote the €20 combination of starters and main course specials. It is also very clearly stated on the menu the €29.95 three course "taste of Killybegs" and the "Flavour of Donegal" options.

I am surprised to note you found our staff disconnected and have written to you personally requesting the specific date you dined with us so that I can ascertain what staff were on that particular evening. I can guarantee you I will address all your points with the individuals concerned.

Re our table covers we do place a disposable white paper cover over all our table cloths. All our tables also have bud vases with fresh flowers.

Re the room needing a sprucing up, The room has served us well and while I and many love the look and feel of the room, it is our plans to change the style and look in the new year. So it's adios to the split levels as we go for a complete new look and over haul.

In the meantime we are launching our new winter menu within the next few weeks with a whole new selection of dishes that will suit your budget and we are replacing our vegetables too with a carrot, parsnip and onion mash. You found our wine expensive, feel free to take your own the next time as we are the only restaurant in the area offering a BYO option and the corkage is only €5.00.

I hope the next time you visit Killybegs I sincerely hope you revisit us to see if we can win you over as a loyal and satisfied customer.

Derry, United Kingdom
“Don't miss this food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

My wife and I were looking for somewhere for our evening meal and decided to try Killybegs for seafood. We stumbled upon 22 Main Street, liked the look of the menu and went in. We hadn't made a reservation but were welcomed warmly by the girl who greeted us. The menu was clear and the food was simply divine. My wife ordered Killybegs fish and chips and I asked for a platter of seafood as my main. This wasn't on the menu but it was no problem and the heavenly food arrived. We both thoroughly enjoyed our choices, the service was excellent and friendly, the bill was a very pleasant surprise. I would strongly recommend this to anyone, whilst we had fish there are plenty of other choices on the menu.

• 5 of 5 stars
hughieKillybegs, Manager at 22 Main Street, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Thank you for your very positve review of 22 Main Street and was delighted to read that both you and your wife enjoyed your dining experience so much.

It is great to see seafood becoming so popular with both local and visitor alike. 90% of our food sales comprise of seafood and our biggest seller this year is the "Red Gurnard", described by Rick Stein as "the chicken of the sea". We are also featuring locally line caught squid which we serve up as crispy calamari rings; 2 great dishes for you both to sample on your next visit!!
Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland
“22 Main Street, Killybegs ~ A great place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

We eat in this restaurant quite often as we own a holiday home in a nearby village. We enjoy the food and the friendliness of the place. Beside that, what we love is that all the food is made on the premises ~ a rareity nowadays in so many restaurants, but something we demand if paying for food. And 22 Main Street does that.

Indeed so much do we enjoy it that we hosted the meal for one of our sons' weddings there in June this year.

Every time we have been there, and long before the wedding, we have always been treated so well and enjoyed all the food they have served.

One of the first times we went we took one of our grandsons (aged 6 at the time) and he loved it too so it is family friendly.

It's a great place for couples or familes and we have recommended it to people staying in our holiday home and all of those people have reported back with great reviews.

THE NITTY GRITTY

There is an a la carte menu with starters priced at around 5-9 euro (maybe less) and mains around 14-23 euro, and desserts around 5 euro (these prices are from memory). There is also a €20 euro option which allows you to pick one starter and one main course or one main course and one dessert which I think is an excellent idea as in our family there are some who look forward to dessert and others (like me and my husband) who don't eat dessert. There is also another couple of choices ~ A Taste of Killybegs which is I think a three or four course meal based on fish (save the dessert obviously) and A Taste of Donegal which is more meat based (from memory I think the main here is lamb steak).

They have good coffee which we love ~ cappuccions, americanos, espressos etc. I hate pour over coffee to end a meal and gladly they don't use this.

The wine list. Frist off, which is good, they allow you to bring in your own wine and charge a corgage fee. Other than that the list is reasonably priced and has a fair selection. (The other night we were there I had wine alone because my husband was driving and obviously couldn't have wine. So I was served a 'snipe', one of those tiny bottles with a glass and a half of wine. normally I would hate these but the one I was served was good in that it wasn't sweet and perfectly palatable.

The loos ~ Obviously I can only say about the Ladies. These are perfectly clean and tidy with lots of hand towels stacked up for the use of customers. Granted, the cubicals (2) are a wee bit tight to enter and lock but still they are clean and that is what matters.

The staff ~ Every single member of staff that we have encounterd have been exellent.

MY SUMMARY

22 Main Street is a great place for couples, girls night out, families and groups looking for a friendly place serving good home made food.

(oh, and just to addand to balance my review of the food in 22 Main Street, I have eaten in all the Michelin stared restuarants in Dublin, and while 22 Main Street is not competing with them, it serves hearty home made locally sourced foods. And for me that gives them a star.

-------------------

As an aside. I noticed on the negative posting here that the poster said about the noise coming from the kitchen ~ the poster got it wrong (like much of his post). The bar is the OPPOSITE end of the restaurant from the kitchen.

1 Thank CatherineInDonegal
22mainst, Owner at 22 Main Street, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
Thank you, Catherine, for your glowing review. Your family wedding was a delight to host and definitely a new departure for ourselves. We have met many of your holiday home guests who have dined with us on your reccomendation and on each occasion it was a pleasure having them as diners.
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Best seafood in Ireland . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

They were kind enough to let us in the doors even as they were getting ready to close for the evening. From the moment we were seated by the lovely Karen, the staff took great care to spoil us: Sonya, one of the managers, made sure we had everything we needed; Lauren brought us our drinks; Lisa brought us our food; and Betty (the chef) prepared the best meal we've had in Ireland all week! Thank you so much! We will back! The Murphys (from the U.S.)

Saint Louis, Missouri
“FANTASTIC!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

The evening of July 3, 2010, after a rather tiring day of driving and sightseeing, my husband, son and self, fell into the 22 Main Street restaurant just a few minutes before they stopped serving dinner. We were greeted with smiles, courtesy and drinks quickly. Placing our dinner order, we waited and received more smiles and friendly chat all the while observing how very busy and quickly the staff moved to accommodate their customers. My husband and I ordered the fried cod and chips; our son ordered a salmon entree. With out a doubt, this was the most delicious dinner we ate while in Ireland! And, we've had some very good meals!! Betty was the chef on duty that evening and this was at the END of her long day...and she did NOT scrimp on anything cooked. Sonja was the manager on duty who visited with us throughout our meal, and kept things running smoothly. I don't remember all the names of the other staff who helped us, but Karen was one gal. ALL the staff serving us this evening were just plainly SWELL!!! KUDOOs to your neat establishment and great staff. KEEP up the GREAT work and HANG on to that staff!! WE hope to return on our next trip to Ireland!!

22mainst, Owner at 22 Main Street, responded to this review, July 9, 2010
It is a great feeling to discover a haven of food and comfort after a long day's travelling, especially when it is raining in Ireland. I am delighted to read that we managed to tick that box for you and your family when arriving in Killybegs.

Sonia, Karen and Lauren are great girls who possess a natural hospitable charm and welcome and they do us proud.

I also hope Donegal did us proud and you return again and again to visit us.

Thank you for writing such a warm review.