“Good for business or passing through”
Review of The Bosun

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monkstown
The Bosun
Ranked #1 of 2 Monkstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 27, 2011

More a restaurant with rooms attached, than a hotel. The antithesis of a multinational hotel chain. Small friendly place with great food, and a wonderful location overlooking Cobh harbour. Rooms are clean and comfortable, some are bigger and smaller than others. Wifi throughout is of use to a business traveller. Not really suitable for kids. The owner himself cooks breakfast most days, and the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs is worth getting up for! Prices are possibly a little on the high side, you can get a 4 star hotel these days for a similar cost, but you get the quality of a genuine Irish welcome, with super food and hospitality.

Room Tip: Ask for the front for a beautiful morning view of the sun rising over the harbour.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed September 10, 2011

My self and my husband and daughter went for a meal to the Bosun this week.
Our starter was lovely i had Garlic mushrooms,my husband had chicken wings maybe a few more wings would of been nice.
I then had breast in a bun with a baked potatoe and salad,my husband had the beer battered fish and chips.
my daughter had pasta no complaints all 3 meals were really nice.
Myself and my daughter ordered dessert she got a fab sticky toffee pudding it was lovely.
I ordered the soft merigune nest it was awful it was like a nest you would buy in a packet from any store i was so disapointed with it.
My husband had a pint of Guinness and i had a pint of tap water with a drop of cordial for which i was charged one euro thirty i thought that was way over priced.
I also had a tea the whole bill came to eighty euro .
pity about the dessert and the price of the cordial .
overall it was a lovely meal and we had a lovely girl serve us.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed here because my husband was on business in the locality. However it was anything but the usual soulless business hotel type of establishment. The accommodation is located in an old seaside villa type house which has been sympathetically modernised without losing the charm. There is a small lift to the upper floors.
Our room was bright and airy with fresh paint and high ceilings and a view out over the water. There was plenty of space, tv, tea tray, iron and ironing board. The en-suite had all you could need complete with nice toiletries and beautifully fluffy white towels. Everywhere was scrupulously clean.
We were served breakfast by the proprietor who is a lovely, friendly gentleman with many years experience in the hotel industry.....and it really shows in every detail. There were fresh flowers on all of the breakfast tables, the butter was in decorated pats in butter a butter dish and there were real napkins instead of paper napkins.
Breakfast selection was excellent. Fresh orange juice, fruit bowl, selection of cereals and several options for cooked breakfast all served with a smile and some friendly chat.
The Bosun is located on the waterfront and has a bar and restsurant. We ate in the bar - the early bird menu was 19.50 for two courses and was available all day. The food was good and the service was friendly and efficient. Even though it was a Monday evening there was a bit of buzz.
Monkstown is quiet. There was one other pub just up the road but mostly it's residential. There are some walks, fishing spots and places of interest, including a castle.
This is not a modern, luxury hotel but it has what big chains don't have - soul. It's comfortable and friendly. I would encourage everyone to support little places like this where old-fashioned hospitality is their mission.
Cost - we paid 90 euro for one night's b&b for two, right in the middle of high season.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Firstly I did not actually stay at this Restaurant/B&B. I only called in today for food.
I only recently moved to Passage West which is about 5-10 mins drive before you get to Monkstown & I drove out that way with my partner about two times since we moved here a few months ago. We passed The Bosun & some people were sitting outside so I mentioned to my partner that we must stop off there someday for food.

Anyway, that day was today! Before I go any further with my thoughts on the place, I just want to say that I am shocked with the bad reviews that I just read here in the last few minutes. I did not experience any of the problems the last few people have but I do not doubt there experiences at the same time, they could have been very unlucky or maybe we were lucky today! Who knows!

Right, when we arrived, the place was very busy inside & feeling a bit hot, I asked one of the guys serving if we could sit outside. He said no problem & said he would come out with menus. We found a lovely set of large table & benches (with backs on them) out the front area. We were not sitting down long when the waiter came to give us the menus & he left to let us ponder a gorgeous ample menu full of lovely treats in the line of starters & main courses. We were spoilt for choice on the lunch menu. I mentioned to my partner that the food must be good here as it had received a mention on the bottom of the menu from Mr Paulo Tullio (Famous author, critic & chef).
The waiter came back to take our order & he was very polite & took our orders without a hitch.

We normally go for a starter & a main course but we thought as the dessert options looked so nice, we would have a main course & a dessert.

So I had the rib of roast beef in brandy & peppercorn sauce for main course & so did my partner. It came with a small bowl of veg & a scoop of mash potato which was enough as it also came with a bowl of chips/fries. The veg included broccoli, carrots & red cabbage. The main plate was heaped with gorgeous roast beef, four whole slices & the sauce was the nicest I have ever tasted as it very much tasted of strong black pepper corns which I personally love!
I have to say that my main course was absolutely beautiful, the flavours were amazing & now I realized why Mr Tullio had seen to allow his name to be placed on their menus!!
I cannot describe how much I enjoyed it today.

Anyway, after the main course, we were not sure if we would be able for the dessert but as I had taken a call from a family member, it was another short while before we ordered dessert so we were looking forward to it.

I ordered passion fruit delice (like a cheesecake) with mango coulis & cream while my partner had the warm apple & berry crumble with custard & cream.
When I tasted my passion fruit delice, it was heaven, the flavours again were gorgeous but when I tasted the apple & berry crumble my partner had, I was in awe, it was better than my dessert & I am going out on a limb here because it was without doubt, the second nicest dessert I have ever tasted (after my gorgeous chocolate dessert I had in the Clarion hotel in Stockholm in 2009!) !

Anyway, before I fall over myself with excitement at the thought of going back again very soon & hoping they have the same menu, I really, really adored my meal there today & fully intend bringing some of my family there very soon!
Can't wait to go back again!

Oh, before I go....prices:
Rib of Beef: €13.95 (for 4 huge slices, well worth the money)
Dessert: €5.50 (very cheap considering how gorgeous they were!)
Glass of coke: €2.75 (too expensive for me, it was a small glass)
Glass of Milk: €1.40 (Reasonable enough)
Cappuccino: €3.00 (Huge cups so worth the money)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Went there in November for a family meal. When booking (in advance) asked to be seated in the Restaurant. When we arrived we were put in a room upstairs which was quite basic with a freezing cold stairway to negotiate on the way. I didn't appreciate not being told about that we were to be banished to the 'attic' when I booked.

The owner/manager was in the restaurant that night and he never came near us just to say hello and thank us for our business. The restaurant was not busy on the night and he certainly could have made an effort. I approached him myself in a friendly manner and introduced myself. He didn't care one way or the other really. I find this strange behaviour from someone in the hospitality business.

The menu was extensive and some of the dishes were good but some were awful. Personally, I enjoyed my meal but most of the others in the party didn't. One of us who asked for his beef to be rare got it well and truly well well done. Stupid.
The worst aspect of this night out was the rudeness of the serving staff. We are a well behaved non rowdy quiet group and only few of us were drinking alcohol on the night. The most that any of us had were two or three small glasses of wine. There was no need for rudeness, we were not rude to them. We were in the restaurant at 6pm and gone by 8:30pm, hardly a group of hardened party animals.

There were three servers involved, one of them was an irish girl with short blonde hair who was nice, but her two non irish colleagues were horrible people. Rude and cold and unwelcoming. If they are not happy working in the hospitality industry then they should leave it. Their attitude really made for a cold, hostile and most uncomfortable experience.

I left a tip because the irish girl was very nice and there was barman downstairs who was also pleasant. Thin, dark hair and glasses. However I'm kind of sorry now that I did.

I was disgusted that the owner didn't even call up to the "attic" to see us and for that alone I will never set foot in the place again. There is no excuse in the hospitality industry for inhospitality. This was not my first time at the Bosun but I can guarantee you, it will be my last. There are so many great places to eat in Cork, but this is nto one of them. Absolutely disgusted.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Bryno
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I should say first of all that we did not stay here - we had lunch. My sister and I were over from England and were taking our elderly mother out for a special treat. with a friend of hers. The lunch did not get off to a good start as, upon arrival, I was reprimanded by the owner for not having understood his very strict booking rules when I made the reservation. It seems that you either book in the Restaurant (set meal) OR the bar and there does not seem to much flexibility about this. We decided to stay in the Restaurant as my mother is in a wheelchair and it seemed easier. We were the only people in there, there were no lights and we felt very isolated. It would have been so much nicer if the owner had assessed the situation and suggested that rather than put us in an empty dining room he could make space for us in the bar. We spent rather a lot of money - a plate of scampi cost Euros 24 - and were made to feel unwelcome, unwanted and unappreciated . I would like to nominate The Bosun for the Most Unwelcoming Restaurant in Ireland Award.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stumbled onto The Bosun due to the fact that we missed the last ferry over to Cobh. We were exhausted and were thrilled to find a cozy room with a nice size bathroom and a hairdryer! (great for US travelers who didn't bring a hairdryer.) :) The staff was amazing. Very friendly and accommodating. Too bad we arrived so late, I would have enjoyed trying out their restaurant for dinner, however the breakfast, which was included in the price, was very nice. The breakfast room was very quaint and sunny. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family and I would definitely stay there again, should I find myself back in Monkstown.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Bosun? Share your experiences!