“Exceptional quality”
Review of Oriel House Hotel

Oriel House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballincollig
Reviewed June 24, 2009

A group of 15 women stayed in the Oriel House hotel for a hen party- first weekend in June. The service was fantastic and the value for money was unbeatable. Staff were so friendly and more than willing to help with any issues - despite it being a very busy weekend for them. Our package included treatments at the spa at a discounted rate which was a very good offer. The girls in the spa were very professional and friendly. Every member of staff we came across on our break were so accomodating - even the night porters who managed to get us tea and sandwiches at 4am on Sunday morning!!

• Stayed: June 2009

Reviewed June 18, 2009

location excellent, lovely suburban town on the outskirts of cork city centre. staff really nice, food in both the bar and restaurant was lovely

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2009

We visited the Oriel house hotel for an extended weekend getaway, having considered the location to be fairly ideal. Close enough to Cork City to allow us to go in and shop on one day, close enough to the beautiful scenery of west cork.
On arrival we were greeted amicably by the reception staff who wasted no time in ensuring we were checked in and aware of the facilities in the hotel.
The room itself was comfortable and spacious enough. all the facilites worked, which is a pleasant change from some of the other hotels i have stayed in. There wasnt much passing noise, apart from the usual levels around closing times and the ends of functions etc, but it was all well mannered and brief.
the fitness centre and swimming pool are well equipped ( professional opinion), with the pool facilities being exceptionally good. as with all leisure facilities some times will be busier than others but then if you are on a relaxing break you can easily move your visits to the pool around quieter times.
The restaurant was utilised by us for breakfasts each morning. the selection was good and the waiting staff were polite and thankfully seemed to know when to approach and when to allow people to get on with their meal. we ate dinner in the restaurant on one occasion and would have returned there if we had been staying a bit longer. the service was good, the recommendations, when asked for proved spot on. portion size was good, not too large but sufficient to fulfill an appetite.
On another occasion we dined in the bar just after watching a rugby match on the tvs (of which there are plenty in the bar). the food was very good and the steak sandwich went down a treat.
To me the level of local knowledge of the staff with regards things to do and places to see is an invaluable asset to the hotel. If you ask you will be given the information you want. and in the event that the staff dont have the answer readily available then they seemed more than happy to oblige by finding out the information at the earliest opportunity.

I would heartily recommend Oriel House to friends and family and have recommended it to work colleagues. keep up the good work is my message to the staff. My message to anyone considering this hotel is that you wont go far wrong here.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IrelandTigger
Reviewed May 16, 2009

This is my second stay at the Oriel in the last six months (this is the hotel my company uses whenever we visit the Cork office) and both times it's not quite come up to 4* standard. It's ok, but not exactly wow. It's just .. average.

First time, I had a difficult time convicing them that the wifi was simply not working in my room - or to be more accurate, it would work but only if I was to stand with my laptop by the door. I was promptly moved rooms with little fuss.

This latest stay (3 weeks), I was put in a different part of the building - the older part of the hotel which does offer larger rooms, unfortunately it also offers a lovely view of the carpark and all the noise that goes with it. I was told when I checked in that they'd be more than happy to move me if I wanted, but given that I was coming back to the hotel literally to sleep I was ok with staying put.

Good points:
- large rooms and decent sized bathrooms with lovely, strong showers
- decent sized plasma screens
- ironing facilities in the room (really handy if staying three weeks!) and a hairdryer.
- good sized pool and good gym facilities
- friendly and helpful staff

Bad Points
- poor and overpriced food, be it room service, bar or restaurant. The restaurant is closed Sundays and Mondays, but that's no great loss. I tried the bar for food once, but left half my food (soggy salad anyone?). A few days later I decided to chance room service and unfortunately had to send my food back, as my 20 euro burger was served in soggiest and greasiest bun I've ever seen. I did get a call from the restaurant manager just a few minutes after the tray was picked up to apologise, check whether I wanted anything else and to let me know it had been cancelled off my bill.
- the older rooms face the carpark and with just single glazing it can get a little noisy.
- some of the bathrooms are a little tired - my shower leaked on to the floor everytime I used it, for example
- room cleaning could be a little more thorough - I know my room was not vaccumed for at least three days at one stage.

There is nothing incredibly wrong with the place, and I must say that the staff have always been lovely and courteous and happy to help, but I'm not sure that if it weren't for the fact that it is a 10 min walk from the office that I would hurry back.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank M_was_here
Reviewed April 20, 2009

I recently stayed in the Oriel House. I checked in on the Friday and check in was quick and easy. I used the leisure centre and found the facililities to be excellent and especially loved the different aspects of the pool (waterfall etc.) However i found that the pool was overcrowded with children (not the ideal spot for a romantic weekend as a couple). The restraunt food was quite frankly inedible (i too had the lamb shank on which you would be hard pushed to find a morsel of meat). I complained about the food and got the prompt reply that their supplier was not consistent with the quality of the meat he supplied.... ?????????? (is it just me or is this not a terrible thing to say to a paying customer). Also suffered from FireAlarm going off at 7 in the morning. The room was not cleaned until 4 in the evening. There was meant to be a lavander sachet under the pillows according to the note left by the turn down service but i was damned if i could find this. The chocolates however were a nice touch. Hotel Bar was packed with children well after 7:30 (is this not against the law?). Overall i would say while the hotel facilities were nice it is not a hotel for couples to go for a romantic weekend and i would eat anywhere but in the restraunt. There is a apple petrol station just down the road that serves better food and provides better service than the "Award Winning" restraunt.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We booked in for a 2 night break over the Easter Break. Booking in was easy and quick. The room was so spacious. Lovely bath and shower in the ensuite. We had dinner on the Friday night in the hotel purely because it was convenient (good friday). It was really tasty and nice. On both mornings, we had lovely buffet breakfasts. Our son was absolutely delighted the pool although it was a little cool for my liking. Saying that once you got in it was grand. The Jacuzzi was great. We went shopping in the city on the Saturday morning. We were in and parked so easily. We then went to Cobh in the afternoon and were still back to hotel for 4.30 ish - our boy was watching the clock for the pool!!!! I would definitely stay here again. My only little remark is that the rooms could get quite warm at night but there was aircon although a bit noisy.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2009

I would love to know what guidelines are adhered to for awarding stars to
hotels. Yes the Oriel is nice and shiny, rooms are lovely and big, it has a
leisure centre and spa but after that there's very little that would make
me think it deserves to be a 4*.

A word of warning, if you're looking for a quiet romantic getaway then steer
clear, it's packed full of young families which means screaming children
and babies everywhere, in the pool, in the restaurant and in the bar.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon and check in was quick and painless. Our
Fota Wildlife Park tickets were not with our check in details and so we
were asked to call back for them later. Our room was large, clean and
quiet. However it's a very long time since I've had a hotel room without
complimentary water and apart from the room being big I failed to see what
was 'deluxe' about it. The room service menu prices are exhorberant.

We went for a quick dip in the pool, staff again were very friendly. The
pool is enjoyable but very cold. We had dinner inclusive in the package and
so we booked a table for 8pm. We were seated in a half empty restaurant
beside a table that had clearly had young children at it. The surface was
covered in food and there were large lumps or half eaten food lying on the
floor beside us. Not a very appetising start. It took 15 minutes before we
were offered any water and bread. After 20 our orders were finally taken.
The package menu has a wide choice of food and looked very promising. After
another 10 minutes waiting the Maitre D' came to the table and apologised
for the delay, said the kitchen was busy and the food would be out in 10 or
15 minutes. So we waited. I had the fishcakes without the creme fraiche
that was mentioned on the menu and my partner had the chowder which came in
a teeny tiny bowl and was watery. For mains I had chicken stuffed with
asparagus and he had the lamb shank. The chicken was fine but the shank was
just fat and gristle and pretty inedible. For dessert I ordered the
ice-cream which was poorly made, bland and more ice than cream. He had the
cheese board which turned out to be 2 x 4 varieties of sweaty cheap cheese.
This was accompanied by all of 2 cream crackers and some tired looking
grapes. No tea or coffee was offered to us. So it took over 2 hours in all
for this meal. We noticed an awful lot of half full plates going back to
the kitcken and the poor couple beside us sat for 25 minutes with their
finished dinner in front of them and nobody to clear the plates. When we
went up to sign the bill as we'd had a drink with dinner we complained to
the Maitre D' who just apologised but did nothing about it. He said it was
due to it being Good Friday night and people coming down from rooms and
ordering starters so they could have a drink. In my opinion the staff are
just not up to scratch, yes they are all lovely people but they're not well
trained and not well presented.

We gave the restaurant a second chance at breakfast the next morning and
were dissapointed to see a poor spread, a couple of juices, a few cereals,
small selection of bread and pastry. The cooked breakfast ingredients were
cold and again not of great quality. Burnt toast completed this fiasco. It
completely faded into the background compared to the last 4* hotel I had
the pleasure of having breakfast in.

That evening we booked a table at a restaurant in the village and walked
into the bar at 7.30pm to find the place completely overrun with children
and so we left straight away again and had a quiet drink down in the
village.

The Oriel House Hotel is a nice hotel but scratch the luxurious surface and underneath is cheap.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballincollig
Sunday's Well
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton
Montenotte
The Montenotte Hotel

Been to Oriel House Hotel? Share your experiences!