“Just ok”
Review of Oriel House Hotel

Oriel House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballincollig
Reviewed February 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights and the stay was ok. Receptionist was very helpful but the room was only ok. Walls dirty in places and a hole in the wall in one place. Could do with painting. The staff in bar serving the food were ok but slow enough to take order. When I went to enter the restaurant part of bar the waitress was very rude. The food wasn't any better than anything you would cook at home. Chips were very dry. The chicken wings are a lovely snack though. Panroasted chicken was on ok. Veg could have done with being hotter. The breakfast was very good even though the layout of buffet was poor as only one person could be at it at once.

• Stayed: February 2014
Patrick-Dillon, General Manager at Oriel House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. Would appreciate the opportunity to discuss in detail so if you could call the hotel on 021 4208400 and ask to speak to one of our management team. It is through constant customer feedback that we can strive to improve our service. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I must start by saying the hotel itself is totally disappointing but the staff are great.

We stayed here for 2 nights and the first night we couldn't sleep at all because of the very strong smell of cigarette smoke in the room. Turns out that the room used to be a smoking room but was made non smoking over a month ago. Definitely needs a deep cleaning! The ceiling in the bathroom had a huge water stain and looked like there was a leak that has gone without repair. The room itself was dark and a bit dated it needs redecorating.

We informed reception the next morning and they were vey accommodating. We were moved to another room, no questions asked. We dealt with Damien. He was so nice and dealt with our problem so professionally.

He very nicely upgraded us to a amazing suite! It was like another hotel altogether! The suite was divine.

Only problem the second night was there was a private function going on in the hotel bar. Our suite was directly facing the outside of the bar so we could hear absolutely everything. Very loud music till 2.30am and people shouting and screaming till after that. So no sleep for us!

During our stay something went wrong with the water in the hotel and we were unable to shower that evening. It was gone from 5 till 10.30/11pm. That left us unable to get ready to go out to dinner.

Overall the hotel itself needs a lot of work. There is a very strong smell of chlorine as you walk into reception and that is very off putting.

I would definitely ask a hotel if there are any functions happening next time I book somewhere. I do like my sleep!!

I don't think we will be returning to this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank princessamyr

Firstly I am delighted to see that our staff here at the Oriel House enhanced your stay. However, I would like to discuss the service issues in more detail with you. Would appreciate if you would call one of the managment team so we can get more detail. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I travelled to the hotel with my husband to ring in the new year. We arrived at the hotel late afternoon. There was a wedding on in he hotel and the place was buzzing. A lot of people were checking in at the time but we were welcomed with a nice receptionist. The room was comfortable and the separate shower and bath was a nice touch. We were booked in the restaurant for 8 so had a drink in the bar first. It was fairly full when we went in but we got served quickly. The atmosphere in the restaurant was fantastic and the food and service was fantastic. we rang in the new year in the bar. the following day breakfast had a decent selection. Kind of usual buffet fare. We went into cork city that day and the following day. The next time i can't wait to use the spa. Thanks to the friendly staff who made our stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick-Dillon, General Manager at Oriel House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Delighted to read your nice comments and great to see you enjoyed the new year festivities at Oriel House Hotel. Thank you for your nice comments on our friendly staff - they are delighted.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I am taking this opportunity to express my disappointment with the Oriel House Hotel and the level of service that was provided at a recent event. With much anticipation we arrived at the venue with the expectation that a great night was due to be had, however this did not result. Understandably the hotel was catering for a large group that night but
1. there is no excuse for serving tasteless vegetables, or
2. having to wait 20 minutes to order and then wait for a drink at a bar, or
3. being greeted with a smart retort when asking why such a delay had occurred.
Throughout the meal we felt hurried as plates were swiftly cleared from under our noses, there was a presentation after the main course and the desserts were still served and were melted when the people involved in the presentation returned to their seats, surely some effort to coordinate events could have been made.
The prices at the bar were reminiscent of the Celtic Tiger extortion.
This summer I have been invited to a forthcoming family event in the Oriel House, if this is the level of service we have to look forward to I dread the thought.

5  Thank 106,409,822

Firstly thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments so at your convenience could you make contact with either myself or one of the management team on 021 4208400 to discuss same. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

When we went to go to bed at 2am after a function we found that when we loosened the sheets they were wet where they were tucked under the mattress. It stank of urine. We tried to phone down to reception but our phone did not work (room 230) Also there must be some serious issue with the heating as we ran our AC multiple times but were there was no heat from it. We were not alone in this and many of the other guests had indicated that they were either roasted or freezing...most cold. some people did not run the AC so that may be the issue with them but we did. It also times out after some length of time. The bridal suite also had serious issues with temperature on that night and they asked to be moved to another room

We also found that after we moved from the bar to the lounge to await the normal closure of the bar (kick out the non residents) we were told that we could move back in to the bar. The lounge was freezing and we waited 45 min in the lounge for service. We were then told that they would not be opening up the bar again and they would serve us in the lounge. We pointed out that it was freezing there but the only solution was to plug in the storage heater that was 20ft away.

I was married in this hotel and I have good memories of the place. I know that the hotel is probably in NAMA but really standards are slipping.

in summary the cold is an issue but the urination on a bed to be recycled into general use when the hotel was not at full occupancy means that the cleaners must be used to this kind of carry on and may be instructed to flip the beds as quick as possible. I reported all of the above to the receptionist

Room Tip: do ask about functions if you plan an early night as sound does travel in the hotel.
2  Thank Alan L

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your feedback with myself or one of the management team. Could you at your convenience contact the hotel on 021 4208400.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Had a brilliant Night at the Oriel- Great Service to almost 200 people. Dinner Fab Function Room Lovely. There was also a wedding on there at the same time so they could have almost been forgiven if things were not quite 100% but it was 101% well Done

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Firstly thank you once again for choosing Oriel House Hotel to host your GAA social. We were delighted to be chosen and I am thrilled you enjoyed your night with us. Thank you for the 101% high score - all the team at the hotel are delighted to read your review.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We had the pleasure of having a New Years Eve dinner here in the bar. It was fabulous. The service and food was to a very high standard and given how busy it was, all the orders were perfect. The Seafood Chowder was the best I've had and the soda bread served with it was so yummy I asked for more! All steaks ordered at the table were cooked to perfection, and I really loved the sauce they were served with. I would highly recommend the bar for food if your in the area. Keep up the good work, can't wait to go back again soon!

The only negative was the Baby changing Room was pretty dirty, and needs a good scrub!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Delighted to read your lovely comments - I have passed your feedback to all of our kitchen team to see. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Powder Keg bar in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballincollig
Sunday's Well
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton
Montenotte
The Montenotte Hotel

Been to Oriel House Hotel? Share your experiences!