“great but could do with a little housekeeping work”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Oriel House Hotel

Oriel House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballincollig
ireland
“great but could do with a little housekeeping work”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

stayed here over easter with my husband and two young children - great hotel - just two minor criticisms:
1) our room and the restaurant could have benefitted from a bit more attention to detail on the cleaning front - the bedside tables/lamps and windowsill were all quite dusty which I know is a small thing but the restaurant was unfortunately similarly maintained in that the insides of the windows, window sills and the table tops were quite grubby (dead flies on the window sills etc).
2) whilst the pool is lovely, over half its width is cordoned off for lane swimming (2 lanes) although I only witnessed 2 or 3 people lane swimming – this leaves just a narrow strip of less than half the pool width in which to swim and play with kids that were too big to spend time in the kids pool (which in itself was great and very safe for our 3 year old) – so we and several other families were vying for space with kids bumping into eachother etc in the remainder of the pool – not a big thing but definitely something I would rethink if I were managing the pool area
So, as I said, only small things. All that said, the staff were great and the hotel is extremely kid friendly – I will likely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Patrick-Dillon, General Manager at Oriel House Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I have forwarded on your feedback to the accommodation and leisure centre management team to review your comments and action same. I am delighted to read your comments in relation to the staff and that you will come back to visit in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Have been staying here a couple times a month. Always felt welcome. They change the bar menu this week and I was looking forward to trying the new options, was let down with the bacon and cheese burger ( pork burger not beef ) was a little shocked when I cut on and found it still red inside. Not what I was expecting, reported it and manager explained that its a pork burger and not a beef one, which I had before. They offered a different option and I choose the carbonara which to my surprise was better than perviously. I would suggest that if you tried the bar food before and it's wasn't to your liking to give it a retry. I won't be having the burger next week but I think I'll try the curry. Hoping it better than before.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. Delighted to see regulars posting nice comments. New bar menu is going down a treat with everyone and with the feedback we have been receiving the burger has been re-visited and amended. Definitely worth giving it a second chance on next visit.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Had meant to write this review a while back but after just reviewing a wonderful stay in Kelly's Rosslare, I said I would check the reviews on Oriel. I found it quite interesting that one of the reviews spoke about staff not serving breakfast at 10.25 although it was advertised up to 10.30. Myself and my partner had a similar experience. We called for evening entertainment on St Patricks Night and particularly chose the Oriel as it was local and less likely to have a drunken crowd. We arrived at about 9am and were shocked at the filth on the floor. The bar area was relatively empty and so we assumed that it was just after an earlier rush period. We ordered a glass of wine and a hot beverage. Feeling a little peckish, we thought about a desert but nobody came near us so that we could ask (we had picked up menus ourselves). Eventually at 21.15 I went up to one of the serving staff and appreciating that they had probably a busy day, I asked were they still serving deserts. The girl responded that they were finished serving food. I was horrified when 20 mins later I saw hot food been sent out to a family which arrived in after us. I spoke to the waitress about it and she said that they had ordered their food about 10 mins previously. I replied that she had said before this time that they had finished serving. She replied in a totally dismissive manner that I could take it up with the manager! Now I could be mistaken but I think the waitress was colluding with whom I would think was the bar manager in what to say when they saw our disgust at the good being served. Despite being very quiet in the bar no one saw fit to clean up the floor of the bar. I appreciate that they may have had a busy day but there is no excuse for filth and most certainly if my staff turned down business from a Client I would have only one answer for them. On a positive note the live music on the night was really good and it's positive to see the hotel supporting local acts.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am disappointed to read your comments, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments in more detail if you would contact me directly or one of the management team at the hotel.
cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Dealing with them to organise an event was a pleasure. They are friendly, willing to negotiate and I would definitely work with them again. Rooms were lovely as well, quite spacious no excessive noise and they worked to meet our needs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Delighted to read your nice comments in relation to event planning. Have passed your comments to the sales team and they were delighted to see the nice review. We look forward to working with you on more events in the future.
carlow ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Hi everyone have just returned from a two night stay in the Oriel House Hotel in Ballincollig Cork. Had a fantastic stay. We arrived Saturday evening and check in was less than ten minutes, straight up to our room. Room was lovely had two double beds ( Which our four year old loved). Bathroom was very clean plenty of towels etc, tea making facilities and multi channel tv. We went down later that evening to the powder keg bar/ restaurant, the menu was good but could do with maybe a couple more options, possibly mixed grill or vol au vents on the main menu and sausage and chips or fish fingers on the childrens menu, The service was excellent and the food arrived roasting hot.
Breakfast next morning was served in the main restaurant which has fantastic views from the floor to ceiling windows,plenty of choice and again food was hot when it arrived.
We decided to go to Fota wildlife park on Sunday asked at reception for directions and the girl printed them out for us.
When we came back we went to the pool for a dip, changing rooms, toilet areas, showers and pool deck very clean, staff very friendly and helpful.
Overall our stay was very enjoyable would return there without hesitation

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank smudgeCarlowIreland
Delighted to read you fantastic comments. Have printed them off and posted on our staff noticeboards for all members of the team to read. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Mayo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was there for a 2 day conference I did not stay overnight in the hotel accomodation. The room in question was to the right of reception then into the right at the end of the corridor..
The overhead projector was not working , the screen was jumping which made a power point presentaion impossible to look at.
Ventilation, there were approx 80 people in the room , the air conditioning vents smelled like the filters had not been cleaned in a long time and the room was stuffy even though there was plenty of room for more people there.
Tea break the teas & coffees were set up outside the room with the tea & coffee dispensors before the cups , which meant it slowed down the whole process. Tea & Coffee ran out before all were catered for.
Lunch was just ok , choice of chicken or beef. A lot of complaints about the beef.
A few of us stayed on to eat later in the evening as we did not wish to travel out for dinner , service in the bar was haphazard to say the least .
Main course meats arrived and were eaten before the veg and potatoes arrived. The place was not that busy it wouldn't take much to get that part of the service right, A few ordered deserts, the deserts arrive long after the bill was paid.
In my opinion these are the fundamental basics that any facility needs to get right. If I were entertaining people for a communion or confirmation lunch ( which I expect would be a big part of anticipated business over the coming months ) I would be very slow to recommmend the place. Until proper conference facilities are put in place like projectors that work etc I would not be bringing business clients back there

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight , attended a 2 day conference there . This is really the feedback on the day...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. The power point facilities have been reviewed based on your feedback and are now fully operational without issue. I passed your feedback to our executive head chef and operations manager to action on points raised with regard to the service and food. We would appreciate the opportunity to host an event in the future. Please dont hesitate to contact me directly.
Bretherton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have never been to Cork so as an overnight stay was required i asked first locally with my Cork contacts and secondley with Concur our booking system.
All came back book the night

Well Check in was simple and straight forward
The room was excellent spacious clean and airy.

The food in the Powder Keg Bar was superbe tasty and above all in budget, i splashed on a glass of white wine.

The sleep was excellent, bed snuggly and warm

The room had a seperate shower and bath all clean and tidy.

So overall could not it will stay again when in area.

Room Tip: I stayed in 234 which was good
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Delighted to read your fantastic review. Have passed your comments onto all the team and they are thrilled to see all positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballincollig
Midleton Park Hotel
#5 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,049 reviews
Montenotte
The Montenotte Hotel

Been to Oriel House Hotel? Share your experiences!