“Comfortable hotel within easy each of Cork city” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oriel House Hotel

Oriel House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballincollig
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Comfortable hotel within easy each of Cork city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Chose this hotel without realising that it is some way from the centre of Cork itself - my mistake. However, in the event it didn't really matter. Ballincollig is a perfectly nice place to stay and there is a bus stop only a couple of minutes walk from the hotel with regular buses into the city centre.

The hotel itself was fine - the room was very spacious with a king-sized bed, a decent Wi-Fi signal was available in the room and everything was modern and in a good state of repair. No issues with cleanliness either - the room was spotless. The check-in staff were friendly and helpful and there was plenty of car parking space.

Didn't use the restaurant during my stay, but did have a couple of meals in the bar. The food was fairly typical bar-type fayre, but very enjoyable nonetheless. It was sometimes difficult to get the attention of the bar staff (I felt like I was invisible on a couple of occasions) but once engaged, the staff were polite and helpful. The bar had a small outside area which was just the ticket for a quiet pint on a warm day. The bar seemed to attract quite a lively crowd in the evenings, but not so lively that I could hear them from my room.

Would I stay here again? Yes, and based on my experience I'd be happy recommend it to a friend

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SharonOriel, Manager at Oriel House Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Delighted to read your nice comments, will ensure all members of the team read them. Thank you for taking the time to post you feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Came here with the girlfriend to get away from the bustle of London

Set away from the centre of cork in a quite village. Car parking on site is a plus.

Having booked a double room, on arrival to the room I found the double was merely two singles pushed together with a double quilt on top. Hardly ideal when travelling with the other half! Asked at reception who offered to change rooms, which we did, only to find the same issue!

Breakfast is good and tasty, but I would like the next table's used plates to be cleared some 10 minutes after they've left, rather than be allowed to fester next to me whilst I'm eating.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gkchan
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Will discuss your comments in relation to the zip and link beds in the next management meeting. Will forward your service comments to our operations manager for review.
athlone
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

stayed here with my husband and 2 kids...we got a lovely room and little pack of lavender on pillow which was a nice touch.the girl on our room left us a few extra biscuits with our tea n coffee for our oom which was nice.she knew kids were staying and that they would probably like some too. the girls on reception were very nice and welcoming.the swimming pool was lovely.there were 2 graduations on during our stay but we were on 2nd floor so we didnt hear much noise thankfully.the only fault i would have is that the bar food is overpriced. its like €15+ for a chicken curry.its not worth it for what you get. otherwise a great stay and great location. ballincollig lovely town and shops a stone throw away.,

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your nice feedback. Have forwarded it to all the departments so all members of the team can see them. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Ate in the hotels restaurant on Saturday night ..... Not a pleasant experience & I certainly wouldn't be recommending it.
The staff attitude in general was bad & the food was worse. I had chicken salad with smoked cheese starter, this is not a good combination , but the fact that I got something crunchy in it didn't help, some sort of grit or dirt I think. My wife had a salmon main course which was stone cold . Chips were burnt, veg were boiled..no sauce/ imagination . Deserts were bought in . We asked for a cheese plate but there wasn't one available ( as the wedding had all the cheese !)
One to avoid.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CJC30
SharonOriel, Manager at Oriel House Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
I am disappointed to read about shortcomings with regard to your recent visit to Oriel House. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss in detail if would contact the hotel on 021 4208400. Looking forward to hearing from you
belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here while attending the Rowing Championships nearby. We had a two night B&B plus one dinner deal which represented very good value for money. I do not think that the hotel can justify their full rate prices. We had a well furnished quiet room. Staff very good although the weekend reception staff let the side down by giving the impression that they would rather be somewhere else. Dinner was good honest fare at a reasonable price. Our Polish waitress was a delight. Would stay again on a deal if there for the rowing otherwise probably not.

Room Tip: room 208 and 210 etc on west side quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments from your recent stay with us. I have passed your feedback to all HOD's so any comments can be discussed at next departmental meeting. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oriel House
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I recently returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel The Oriel House Hotel. I am disappointed to say that I did not enjoy my stay here and will not be returning in the future or recommending it to any of my friends and family.
I booked this stay direct with reception who were a pleasure to deal with and very informative. On arrival to the hotel we checked in at reception and again my perception hadn’t changed.

On entering our room it was like a sauna – we opened the window and attempted to turn on the air conditioning. We informed reception of this straight away and we were advised this would be examined asap. Also on arrival there was no cot which I had pre-arranged but it was dropped up once I contacted reception.
On our first night we decided we would take it easy and have a dip in the pool with our two children aged 20 months and 4 years old. We also booked our meal in the bar. It took about two and half hours for us to be served this is completely inappropriate when you are dining with two children. Also I cannot understand why food for children was not given out at the same as adults as once children are finished dinner they get bored and we were then unable to eat ours at ease.

So after this we returned to our room which was extremely warm air conditioning completely broken. I had to strip the two kids down to their underwear/nappy to try cool them down. After the first sleepless night we all woke up feeling quite ill as we had all tossed all night from the heat and all had stuffy heads and noses.
Before leaving the hotel again my husband approached the reception to explain our situation again. The receptionist gave us a fan for the bedroom and again promised that the air conditioning would be checked and monitored from the back room of the reception. She also advised us to leave the key in the slot so that we could leave the fan on while we were out. We headed off for the day only to return to our overheated room the key had been removed by the cleaner and air conditioning was still broken.

This continued for the remainder of our stay every day we asked for it to be fixed every day we were promised it would be! On our last day before heading out as we couldn’t even sit in the room I approached the reception and explained we had a 4 hour drive ahead of us the next day the last thing I needed was sick children. The receptionist promised to monitor and fix yet again and said she would send up another fan (which never happened).

So again on our last night we had a meal in the hotel again we were nearly 3 hours getting served. The waitress seated a couple after us and managed to take their orders before us for food and drink!! Again children were fed their meals first!

On checking out we explained how disappointed we were in the service and care we received. We were told that the air conditioning had never been examined as the hotel was let down by service engineers – so we had been lied to the entire week!

As you can see from other reviews rooms were overheated so we had to put up with this without any air conditioning. They done nothing to try accomodate us or compensate us for the inconvenience. AVOID!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lynnedublin
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this in detail, the hotel has won awards previously for customer service and I am concerned at the lack of response to your issues during your stay. Hotel contact number is 021 4208400 - looking forward to hearing from you
Roscommon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Just home from a 6 night stay at the Oriel Hotel. We are delighted with our week and how it went overall. I couldnt complain about one member of staff, found everyone lovely and very helpful. We had 3 children from 6yrs down, got a really spacious room so we didnt feel at all cramped. We had 3 evening meals and lunch in the bar on a few occasions, food is great, which is why we decided to eat there so much, knowing there was a good kids menu and quality. Pool was a big hit with kids, and it is so close to different attractions, we had a packed itenary and everywhere was in a reasonable distance that we weren't travelling too long and could enjoy the day.
I would agree that the rooms are too warm but this would not deter us from returning again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your nice feedback. Have forwarded to all department heads for all staff to see your nice comments, We look forward to welcoming back to the hotel in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballincollig
Midleton Park Hotel
Lancaster Lodge
#8 of 23 in Cork
Montenotte
The Montenotte Hotel

Been to Oriel House Hotel? Share your experiences!