“Lovely stay with toddler”
Review of Oriel House Hotel

Oriel House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballincollig
ireland
“Lovely stay with toddler”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We had a lovely stay in this hotel. Nice room but too warm. Air conditioning didn't really help. Good location, as long as you have your car. Convenient location if, like us, you plan on dividing your time between city center and exploring West Cork. We ate in hotel each night and food was lovely. Service could be better. We had a long time to wait, felt especially long when trying to keep toddler amused. Hotel had film on each night for kids and provided complimentary drinks and treats which was nice. Nice pool and kiddies pool.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SharonOriel, Manager at Oriel House Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your nice comments. Delighted you enjoyed the kids activities we ran, it was our first year doing such events and great to see people enjoyed them. Will send on service comments to our operations manager to ensure re-training carried out. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Co Clare
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We booked a two night family break in the Oriel Hotel but only stayed one night!!

The receptionist was unpleasant and unhelpful. The first room that we went to smelt of sewage, I rang down and looked for another room and was told that someone would come up with a key, after waiting about 10 minutes my husband went down to see if he could get it and Miss personality just said someone’s gone up with it. A member of staff did drop up the key but couldn’t tell me what part of the hotel the room was due to lack of English.

The second room, had two double beds and a single, the carpet was stained, furniture looked as if it had seen better days and the tiles in the bathroom were cracked and stuck down with tape. This was a smoking room that smelt of stale cigarettes. I’m 6 months pregnant and we had our 18 month little boy with us. Not a suitable room for a family.

My husband went back downstairs to get the manager, she was helpful and apologised and offered us a room upgrade and sent us up a bottle of wine. This room was better but within a couple of minutes my son had pulled off the front of a drawer to expose the screws, there was no soap in the bathroom and no telephone in the room. Air con broken and fan in bathroom very loud.

My husband went down to check out the pool, the leisure staff ignored his first question and when he asked it again he was told it was in there and go and look. Customer service training badly needed.

Later that evening the ceiling in the corridor was leaking as it was raining outside.

Bar food was good and bar staff were very nice.

But overall the experience was terrible and we checked out first thing in the morning. When we told Miss Grumpy Receptionist that we were checking out and only paying for one night she just said Oh and that was it. I would never stay in this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Antoinette Q
Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. If you could contact the hotel to discuss in detail I would appreciate the opportunity to talk to you again on 021 4208400.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Having just returned from a one night spa package, I found the hotel staff to be very friendly especially the staff at the spa. We had a wonderful dinner in the restaurant which was very reasonably priced. There is a fantastic swimming pool with all the amenities you'd expect to find. The spa was very relaxing although the relaxation room is quite small if your going with a big group. I would definately return in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
SharonOriel, Manager at Oriel House Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us. I will ensure that the spa particularly see your nice comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Please be more welcoming and listen to the customer.

I was greeted with hostility by one of the receptionists when I complained about being given a smoking room when I initially requested a non smoking room at time of booking. The smell from the bed, pillows and curtains was atrocious. The receptionist in question tried to play the blame game and not take any ownership of the problem.
We were finally moved after 5 hours which involved packing and unpacking again and being moved to a room that did not have ample bed space.

Yula kindly compensated us for the inconvenience caused but I do think all could have been avoided if the initial receptionist performed her role accordingly.

Not all bad though, bar food and breakfast was great.

Would I stay again... not sure!

1 Thank Smytha30
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I am very concerned with your comments raised with regard to the front desk team. I would welcome the oppotunity to discuss in more detail so I would appreciate if you would contact me directly here at the hotel. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Kildare, Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Stayed there on the 8th and 9th of August,with my husband,daughter and partner and granddaughter.On arrival the receptionist was very dour and forced a smile on welcoming us.We found our rooms,they were ok.My daughter had a family room and was happy with it except they got no kettle or cups or coffee/tea,she asked at reception and was told they would be provided with one,which dident happen so she asked again next morning and still no sign,asked again It arrived that evening!!Our fridge dident work or did the a/c,so I told the girl at reception and she said she would deal with both problems,no fridge or a/c that evening .I asked again she said she would look into it.I have to mention the weather was very hot and the windows only open a little.I told her I would take a fan and she said she would look for one,still no a/c or fridge.Next afternoon I asked a different girl (we had been away all day)She said she would sort it out from reception.Still nothing,so I asked again and when I went up to my room the fridge was working but the cans of orange I had bought myself were gone and still no a/c!!I We told girl when we were checking out and she said a lot of a/c were not working and she would deal with it(no good to me)and was shocked to think someone would take my property(cans of orange).To cut a long story short she gave us money off our bill(not a lot)apologised over and over.To late I would never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I have printed the details so the issues raised can be discussed at the next management meeting. Oriel House has won awards with regard to customer service so I am disappointed to read your comments. I would welcome the possibility of discussing the issues in more detail so if you could contact me here at the hotel I would appreciate it. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for one night on business.
From the moment I checked in, I felt at ease. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
They have free WiFi Internet (a little slow for my requirements).
There was a party in one of the function rooms, that I could not hear from my room, which was a great relief.
The bathroom had both a shower and a separate bath. The room had a very large bed (King Size) with plenty of pillows. The air conditioning was very quiet and worked and I had to leave it on during the night as the hotel was a little warm for my liking.
I was able to use the swimming pool with no restrictions. Didn't get a chance to try the gym, maybe next time.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing to stay in Cork on business.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
I am delighted to read your nice comments. I have printed them off and displayed on our staff noticeboard for everyone to see them. Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Skerries, Ireland
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel itself, ate in the bar when we arrived, 2 of us had the chicken wings, wouldn't recommend them, taste like jarred fajita sauce poured over them- not good at all. One of the chicken wings fell on the floor and after returning to the bar after 2 hours the same chicken wing was still lying on the floor.
Stayed in room 322 lovely big room, really what saved the stay for us, might be an idea to get non slip mats in the bath though as it can be quite slippy. The phone doesn't work in room 322 either. Decided to treat ourselves to breakfast in bed, but at 9.20 I checked our door and our breakfast order had never been taken off the door, ended up having to get other guests who were away with with us to drop it down for us. No salt and pepper came up with the breakfasts when it did arrive and as the phone wasn't working I couldn't call down.
But the girl who we dealt with on reception on arrival and during our stay was absolutely lovely, Very welcoming and friendly, i think her name was Ola, thanks Ola! Your a real asset to the hotel!
Despite a few small issues, I would recommend this hotel, I definitly recommend room 322 to families, could easily sleep 2 adults and 3 children.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments with regard to your recent stay with us. I have printed them off so all the relevant issues are passed to the departmental managers to rectify. I am delighted Ula looked after you well and I will ensure she sees your nice comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballincollig
Midleton Park Hotel
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Montenotte
The Montenotte Hotel

Been to Oriel House Hotel? Share your experiences!