“Not Great”
Review of Oriel House Hotel

Oriel House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballincollig
Reviewed January 2, 2008

The hotel is only a short drive out from Cork, but if you want to socialise you will need to go out in to Cork city as there is very little in Ballincollig itself, one 'ok' pub and not much else. There is a new Shopping Centre but this does not offer much except Dunnes Stores, so Cork city for shopping is a must. The hotel room, etc. was very nice and clean. The hotel seemed to try hard to get it right but definately lacked professionalism. At check-in two reception girls poorly greeted us and fumbled alot while they checked us in. The hotel bar was nice but the bar food while we stayed here was poor. During our stay there was alot of distrubances which were not the fault of the hotel but the hotel was unable and did not act upon the distribuances caused by other guests. The hotel staff showed no control under these circumstances and we were very disappointed that our trip was ruined under the circumstances. The hotel did find us alternative accomodation but no compensation was allowed. I would not return to this hotel and I feel the hotel staff need further training with the exception of the hotel manager who was very helpful. Also, the bar staff were quiet rude to us on our first night stay and we found their behaviour very uninviting.

Final Comment: Nice hotel but more effort required!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Drin
There are newer reviews for Oriel House Hotel

Reviewed October 22, 2007

i often stay in this hotel when i work in cork city, its is fabulous to say the least, friendly staff, the rooms are really nice and it is literally about 10 mins drive from cork city -not at rush hours obviously, well worth a visit

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank west_clare
Reviewed October 15, 2007

lovely hotel, gorgues rooms, fab breakfast, nice bar, nothing negative to say. stayed for 2 nights, very comfy, lovely reception staff

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2007

This is a lovely hotel outside Cork city, very friendly staff. We had
a large double bedroom with a great shower and separate bath. Food in
the hotel was really tasty.

We also availed of spa treatments in the hotel and found it really enjoyable.

The pool is great and has a shallow area for children, there is also a steam room, jacuzzi and sauna.

Although we didn't have children with us other family with us did and
they thoroughly recommended it as a family hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank DandG
Reviewed September 16, 2007

My partners parents recently booked a mid week break at the Oriel Hotel and we decided to join them for a night. It was our first time to visit the Ballincollig area and from the moment we checked in every member of staff were outstanding. Our room was nice and cosy although i did prefer room in the new section on the second night! Our meal in the bar was very tasty served by plesant staff. We enjoyed it so much that we booked in for an extra night! and we also have booked to return for a relaxing mid week break again very soon!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank egkeating
Reviewed September 4, 2007

I attended a wedding recently in the Oriel House - had a great day at the wedding. However, we did have a bad experience with our accommodation - when we arrived, we were told the hotel had overbooked and therefore we had been moved to a B&B instead. I was not impressed. There were a number of guests similarly affected - all having booked through internet sites. Some of those affected had confirmed their room with the hotel after booking online. The B&B owner told us the same thing had happened the week before and I have since heard from other friends that it is not an uncommon occurence.

From guests that stayed, hotel was of high standard- just wouldnt recommend booking online.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CorkReveller
Reviewed August 3, 2007

Having a couple of days of business in Cork city and not impressed with the place I stayed last time, I decided to find somewhere on the outskirts with a bit of comfort, leisure facilities and free wireless internet access. The Oriel House Hotel had all three and at amazing value too.

I was delighted with the bedroom- the decor was chic yet relaxing, the bed huge and super comfy, the courtesy tea/cofee tray had sachets of hot chocolate (perfect!) and wireless access at good speeds was not a problem. And the bathroom! Spotless with heated floors, a power shower I'd give my right arm for and huge fluffy bath towels that make a welcome change to the hotel towels I usually end up with!

The service was top notch also- very friendly and helpful. What was particularly cute was the evening turn-down service: coming back to my room one evening I found a lamp had been turned on, the bed clothes had been turned-down and a couple of handmade chocolates and lavender had been left on the pillow. I was amazed. Its small gestures like these that cost so little that will have me recommending this hotel to my colleagues and friends. I'll definitely be returning, next time with my fiance for a leisure break!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Tara W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballincollig
Centre
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton
Montenotte
The Montenotte Hotel

Been to Oriel House Hotel? Share your experiences!