“Consistently excellent”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Having dined here twice last year while in the area, we were eager to return and were not disappointed. Cathy, the owner, works incredibly hard with her chef husband to provide an enjoyable experience.
Cod served with lobster was stunning & fish & chips is far too basic a description for the delight we were served. The challenge here is to leave room for dessert because they are simply delectable. Melt in the mouth pastry, fresh fruits, beautiful ice creams.
Again, we ate here two nights in a row, each night a fabulous experience.
Looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I visited the Herring Gull as a guest of a friend who lives in Ballycotton.He ordered mussles as a starter.4 of the shells were empty which he pointed out to the waitress. She was very vacant when he asked to see the Chef.Ultimately he came to talk to my friend (no big deal as the restaurant was not busy at all.The Chef (and owner) argued with my friend almost calling him a liar) but ultimately 4 mussels materialised!!
My steak had far too much fat on it that I ate it having mentioned the the waitress ate it and asked her to show the fat to the Chef.We left never to return. I defended the Herring Gull some time ago when it had a brutal review in the Sunday Independent.Never Again!!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Located near the Ballycotton harbor, the Herring Gull provides excellent fresh fish dishes. Overall the food was very good with excellent service.

It does get busy so best is to call ahead for reservation.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

The harbour inn has great views and great food which is fresh and of great quality. Fish was excellent,perfectly cooked with beautiful fresh sauces. The staff were welcoming, friendly and always attentive. A beautiful place for a meal - not to be missed.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I popped into the Herring Gull last week while enjoying a couple of days in Ballycotton and discovered the best fish and chips we've ever had in our lives. The cod had obviously only been out of the sea an hour or so and the batter was the lightest I've ever know,. It was served with a delicious and unusual locally-sourced salad. The service was excellent. This restaurant deserves to go from strength to strength.