“Quite Unique”

Book In Advance
More Info
$264.96*
and up
Day Trip from Reykjavik: Cave Exploring in Gjábakkahellir and Snorkeling in...
More attraction details
Owner description: Snorkelling Trips to Silfra in the National Park Thingvellir are operated by DIVE.IS. We conduct a variety of different Snorkeling Day Tours, such as the all time bestseller, the Snorkeling Silfra Day Tour or a number of Combo Tours where you can combine Snorkeling in Silfra with the Golden Circle or Caving in a lava tube or a visit to the Blue Lagoon or Horseback Riding or more...
Sheffield
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Quite Unique”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

I had originally booked to go scuba diving, but after hurting my ankle the day before, opted to snorkel instead.
The snorkelling really is very, very different to anything I have done before.
Almost no life, but unbelievably clear water, beautiful rock formations and the surreal experience of looking up to see snow on the ground all around made this an incredibly odd, memorable experience.
In March it was cold, particularly when getting out of the suits at the end (there are no changing facilities except the back of the mini-bus), but it added to the 'adventure' of the experience and overall I loved it.

4 Thank Mark-567

• Turkish first
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Brilliant experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

We did the silfra snorkeling and lava tube tour with Iceland adventure. It was a really good day lava caving was a interesting experience and amazing to see the lava tunnels up close. We then headed to silfra for the snorkeling a little fearful of the cold as it was snowing when we got there. This shouldn't have been a worry tho as the kit we were supplied with meant I was as warm as being in a Jacuzzi. The sights while diving are spectacular never known visibility like it in water and its very peaceful drifting with the current. Highly recommended to all.

2 Thank Neil S
London, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Incredible!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

First I would like to note I was a bit scared of going dry suit snorkelling because of my long time problem of having tight objects around my neck. It was a bit demanding getting into the suit, but with the help of our great guide we've managed the task. We were helped with the gloves and were explained that our hands will get wet and got great advice on how to stop cold water from circulating around gloves much. All discomfort I might have felt due to the tight suit around my neck disappeared as soon as I got into the water..water wasn't that cold at all, the weather perfect, and the view inside... amazing. A must do while in Iceland!!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank TVictor
Seattle, WA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Truly spectacular (and not at all cold!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Let me first start by saying I am a pansy when it comes to the cold so I couldn't understand why I decided going snorkeling in the winter in Iceland was a good idea. I was wrong. It was a GREAT idea. Though the process of actually getting into the water took far longer than I expected, it was worth every minute and every penny. Turns out those dry suits are a pain to get on but it kept me so very warm. Even my hands and face were fine. The pay off was massive. The water is truly crystal clear. It's so amazing to look into the water and float and then pop your head up above water to see that you are surrounded by snow and mountains. Wow, just wow. If you have even an inkling to do this, do it. We worked with Dive Iceland and they were just lovely people (dive.is).

4 Thank Nyapet
London, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Must do experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Booked this via a high st info tourist desk due to a couple of tours cancelled as a result of the blizzard like conditions. We went with Dive.IS who picked us up and took us to the national park where Silfra is situated. Though the conditions were terrible outside, we were kitted out with dry suits comprising of what I would describe as an extra thick onesie and equally thick wet suit.

Dive.IS were professional and reassuring when entering the water and at first the water does feel extremely cold on your face and hands but this passes after 2 mins leaving you to thoroughly enjoy 30 mins of tranquil snorkelling in an environment that you're unlikely to encounter anywhere else with clarity in the water down to 24 metres. Definitely recommended.

1 Thank Georgetheseal