“Scuba diving in Silfra, Iceland with Dive.Is”

Snorkeling Trips to Silfra
Book In Advance
More Info
$257.49*
and up
Day Trip from Reykjavik Small Group Silfra Snorkeling and Lava Caving Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Snorkelling Trips to Silfra in the National Park Thingvellir are operated by DIVE.IS. We conduct a variety of different Snorkeling Day Tours, such as the all time bestseller, the Snorkeling Silfra Day Tour or a number of Combo Tours where you can combine Snorkeling in Silfra with the Golden Circle or Caving in a lava tube or a visit to the Blue Lagoon or Horseback Riding or more...
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Scuba diving in Silfra, Iceland with Dive.Is”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

A group of friends and I dove at Silfra with Dive.Is on May 17th - what an amazing experience!

To begin with, Dive.Is is an osom outfit - very well run, with a great group of divemasters who are fun and helpful the whole way through, from booking the rez to arranging transport, as well as, of course, on the dives. If you dive in Iceland, at Silfra or other sites, be sure to use Dive.Is - ask for Hana, Siobhan, Jennie, Reynar and Pascal. Beware - they have terrible senses of humor.

The dive itself is a wonder - the group I dove with is very experienced, including 2 marine biologists, and we all talked about how it was unlike any other dive we've ever been on. The dive site is in a glacier lake *in* the continental divide between the North American and Eurasian plates. Yes, the water is cold! But the dry suits keep you warm enough. The profile itself is stepped and varied, and the viz ranges towards 300 feet. At some spots you can touch both plates with your hands as you navigate the route. In addition, the surrounding countryside of the Thingvellir national park is beautiful and mountain-ringed.

All told, if you scuba dive or snorkle, or are just straight-up adventurous, I highly recommend setting up a dive at Silfra if/when you visit Iceland.

3 Thank Jason H

• Turkish first
Hirtshals, Denmark
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Cold, Blue and Unique experience with Dive.is!!!”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

OMG!! I would never have believed I would do something like this, but you just have to if you come to Iceland. This is something truly unique, the water so clear and drinkable. This trip has also got me interested in more diving opportunities! Me and my aunt went with Dive.is. Our guide, S - she was a great guide and good sense of humor and seemed very helpful to my Aunt who had some reservations about entering a flood 18m deep fault crack flooded with 2C water! My Aunt had a great time and so did I. The colours were amazing shades of blue. You must must must must do this!! Very nice if you have even the most remote interest in geology!!!!

2 Thank Gunilla5
Boulder, CO
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“What a neat, unique experience”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

The Dive.IS guide picked us up at our hotel very promptly. We picked up some others along the way as well so it wasn't only my husband and I who were the craziest people on earth. I think we went on the coldest day possible. It was snowing a bit and the wind was about 80 miles per hour so I'm guessing air temp of about 30 degrees (F) and wind chill in the single digits. It was freezing. I was shivering like crazy trying to get into the gear. I'd never used a dry suit before. In fact, I'd only ever snorkeled once before in Mexico. I was scared to death. Seriously scared to death: of the dry suit, of the water, of everything. Our snorkelling guide, Jenni was a saint. Once in the water, I freaked and wanted right back out and Jenni was a calm as could be. She got everyone else in the water and then asked me to give her 30 seconds and to do everything she asked me to do in that 30 seconds and then if I still wanted out of the water she'd let me. Well I got in, put my face in the water and it was amazingly blue. She stayed with me the whole way - often she held one of my hands and my husband held the other hand. I got through it and it was an amazing view - how crazy to be snorkelling in 32 degree water (when you picked up your head above water, there was ice on all the rocks all around us) on a freezing day between 2 continents. You'll never get this experience any place else. It is as the pictures show, clear, deep blue. I wish we could have taken an underwater camera, but we didn't, the images will just live in my mind sort of like a dream.
The hot cocoa was very much needed and appreciated after getting out of the gear - but again we went on a super windy. cold day. The excursion fee is worth it, considering they provide all the gear, pick you up and drive you to and from the National park about 1 hour each way from Reykjavik. Dive.IS is great to work with over email. You stop for restrooms just before entering the national park. You can also get snacks, water here for after if you wish.

6 Thank takeahikeBoulder_CO
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Awesome experience with Dive.is and Siobhan”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We signed up the day before for the Silfra snorkeling trip in early April 2012. We booked them through a tourist agency in Reykjavik. Siobhan was timely with picking us up from our hotel and drove us to get another 3 people. Five total was a great size for getting to know each other and an informal tour of the area. The day was chilly (probably around 40 degrees F) and the water around that temp, but with our insulating layers and dry suits, I was plenty warm. As everyone else says, your hands will get cold, as perhaps your head might since your gloves and hood are made of neoprene and aren't technically waterproof (but are designed to keep you warmer than without!) The current carried us, but I think the people in front of us were kicking a bit, so I found myself kicking to keep up. the water was incredibly clear and cool to see snorkelers in front of us, down below. There isn't any wildlife like fish (we were told there might be little ones, but I didn't see any) but was still a very cool experience and can now say I snorkeled between two continental plates! After the snorkeling it was windy and chilly, but Siobhan had hot chocolate and cookies for us. She was a terrific guide from the UK and got along with us great. btw, we wouldn't have done this except I found these reviews on tripadvisor and would definitely recommend it. Apparently it's one of the top dive sites in the world!

Visited April 2012
3 Thank XFitter
Derby, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent snorkelling in cold clear water”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

My first visit to Iceland and an opportunity to snorkel in Silfra will be a lasting memory. The dive.is guides, Alfi and Shobham were excellent. They were both knowledgeable and informative and had a good sense of humour whilst displaying good professional standards. The 2 degree celcius water temperature was not a problem in the dry suits provided and the unique experience of snorkelling between two continents was an opportunity not to be missed. Some waiting around whilst the divers in the group went for a second dive, but the time was filled by much conversation with Alfi swapping recipes. I would recommend the excursion.

Visited February 2012