“Very nice”
Review of Hotel Selfoss

Hotel Selfoss
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Selfoss
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Going to Iceland in winter means you get to your hotel after dark and have to leave before sunrise. So we really regret not being able to sit in our room and watch the sunrise, because it has this amazing view of the river, mountain from our room. We were probably two of less than ten guests that night, so we got a double room at the corner, which is huge! The room is very nice, so is the bathroom except for the smelling water ( can't really get used to it but it's Iceland). We didn't try the restaurant at the hotel or the Thai one, instead we drove through town at midnight hoping to find some warm food... And we did! We drove across the bridge just wanting to cross it, but we found the Olis gas station which offered pretty nice ribs and burgers.
The breakfast was really nice, our table was prepared as if we were the only guests. Despite of few guests, the hotel offered the whole set of continental breakfast. And the kiwi was sooooo good.
Anyway it's a very nice hotel, I would like to stay a little longer next time.

Room Tip: The rooms at the corner is huge
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Selfoss

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Stayed here in November, 2011. I arrived there really early since my flight got in at 6:45AM. I ate breakfast at the hotel since nothing was open at the time. I only booked the hotel for one evening and technically, I would only get free breakfast the next day. But the hotel staff was nice enough to let me eat free!
The room was clean and roomy. I had a nice view of the river. The sink is rather small. Even though the hotel has free wi-fi, only a small portion of the hotel can get the signal. The room I stayed in doesn't have wi-fi access, so I had to sit in the hotel lobby or in the restaurant to access the Internet.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We travelled around Iceland and unfortunately Hotel Selfoss was the worst hotel we stayed in. I have stayed in hotels were rooms are tired, but I don't mind if they are clean. We had to move rooms as our first room had a weaking shower and cobwebs around the windows.

In the second the rooms still was not clean enough. Rooms on the 4th floor seemed not to have been cleaned for a long time.

The hotel itself is fine, but room did not live up to 2 star standard let alone 4 stars.

To give the hotel their due they did discount our stay but I feel that was due to a lot of complaints.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Selfoss because we couldn't find a room in Reykjavik! We ended up renting a car and discovered that staying outside Reykjavik is great for accessing the countryside: Eyjafjallajokull, the golden circle, etc. Hotel Selfoss is a well deserved 4-star hotel - no, it doesn't have internet in the rooms but in all the common areas - a great restaurant, an ample complimentary breakfast, spacious double rooms, etc. A great value!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a tour. Noticed there were other tour groups there, too, because it is probably the only hotel that can accommodate groups. Selfoss itself doesn't have much to offer, except for a nice river. Rooms at this hotel can have river views, which ours did, along with a view of the local church. Best part is that it is one block from various food options. Great hot-dog stand (Iceland being famous for its hot dogs), plus Thai and pizza. By Icelandic standards, this is a vast assortment. Can walk into town; not much there, but while driving through there is an excellent bakery and also a great gelato shop. Found homemade tuna salad in the bakery frig for about $4 U.S. Grab a roll, and you are in business. Good alternative to the ubiquitous hot dog if you are on a budget. Dinner at the hotel was excellent. Breakfast OK with hard scrambled eggs and some meat. Comfortable rooms. Good base of operations.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelfan
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I have to give this Hotel a rave review for travel accommodation and managment services! I was stuck in NYC because of Hurricane Irene on August 26, 2011, my flight to Iceland for August 27, 2011 was cancelled and the earliest fight Delta could put me on was August 31, 2011, but my vacation time is only up to September 2, 2011. I had to cancel and the Hotel only received my notice on the date of my check in. But, they totally, 100% understood ( this was a nonrefundable package through Orbitz). I heard horror stories from others who booked via Orbitz and hotels in Spain refused to refund. But, not Iceland and not Spa Hotel Selfoss. I got back my monies. What I intend to do is rebook in the future and yes with Hotel Solfoss!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have been there twice this summer, and both times ,,the internet just broke down", that was two weeks apart.
A four star hotel is supposed to have internet in every room, but there was not. The hotel did not offer any compensations.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selfoss
Hotel Borealis
#7 of 8 in Selfoss
Fosshotel Hekla
Fosshotel Hekla
#4 of 8 in Selfoss

Been to Hotel Selfoss? Share your experiences!