“Location, entrance and staff good but rooms dirty and tired.”
Review of Hotel Selfoss

Hotel Selfoss
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Selfoss
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We travelled around Iceland and unfortunately Hotel Selfoss was the worst hotel we stayed in. I have stayed in hotels were rooms are tired, but I don't mind if they are clean. We had to move rooms as our first room had a weaking shower and cobwebs around the windows.

In the second the rooms still was not clean enough. Rooms on the 4th floor seemed not to have been cleaned for a long time.

The hotel itself is fine, but room did not live up to 2 star standard let alone 4 stars.

To give the hotel their due they did discount our stay but I feel that was due to a lot of complaints.

• Stayed: October 2011

Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Selfoss because we couldn't find a room in Reykjavik! We ended up renting a car and discovered that staying outside Reykjavik is great for accessing the countryside: Eyjafjallajokull, the golden circle, etc. Hotel Selfoss is a well deserved 4-star hotel - no, it doesn't have internet in the rooms but in all the common areas - a great restaurant, an ample complimentary breakfast, spacious double rooms, etc. A great value!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of a tour. Noticed there were other tour groups there, too, because it is probably the only hotel that can accommodate groups. Selfoss itself doesn't have much to offer, except for a nice river. Rooms at this hotel can have river views, which ours did, along with a view of the local church. Best part is that it is one block from various food options. Great hot-dog stand (Iceland being famous for its hot dogs), plus Thai and pizza. By Icelandic standards, this is a vast assortment. Can walk into town; not much there, but while driving through there is an excellent bakery and also a great gelato shop. Found homemade tuna salad in the bakery frig for about $4 U.S. Grab a roll, and you are in business. Good alternative to the ubiquitous hot dog if you are on a budget. Dinner at the hotel was excellent. Breakfast OK with hard scrambled eggs and some meat. Comfortable rooms. Good base of operations.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelfan
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I have to give this Hotel a rave review for travel accommodation and managment services! I was stuck in NYC because of Hurricane Irene on August 26, 2011, my flight to Iceland for August 27, 2011 was cancelled and the earliest fight Delta could put me on was August 31, 2011, but my vacation time is only up to September 2, 2011. I had to cancel and the Hotel only received my notice on the date of my check in. But, they totally, 100% understood ( this was a nonrefundable package through Orbitz). I heard horror stories from others who booked via Orbitz and hotels in Spain refused to refund. But, not Iceland and not Spa Hotel Selfoss. I got back my monies. What I intend to do is rebook in the future and yes with Hotel Solfoss!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have been there twice this summer, and both times ,,the internet just broke down", that was two weeks apart.
A four star hotel is supposed to have internet in every room, but there was not. The hotel did not offer any compensations.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Selfoss in late June 2011. I did not have a reservation and the hotel was very full with several German bus tour groups. I arrived at about 8:00 in the evening and the kind (lady) desk clerk offered me a room facing the water for approximately $160 for the night. This is a bargain in Iceland. The hotel was a bit dowdy and had seen better days but the location (and the wonderful breakfast) made up for it. Some quick notes about Iceland: 1) gasoline is the equivalent of $9/gallon (it cost me $125 a day for fuel for my small Hyundai hatchback); 2) the new enlarged gift shop at Geysir Center is probably the best in Iceland; 3) all street and road signs are in Icelandic so get GPS for the rental car; 4) bring sunglasses and binoculars - you'll need them; 5) wear plenty of layers but don't bother bringing a hat or umbrella - the wind blows too hard for either to do you any good; and finally 6) get to the airport on your return flight with at least 2 1/2 hours to spare as you will want to get reimbursed for the VAT you spent on purchases over $40. Having said all of that, Iceland was the most wonderful place I have ever visited - the scenery along the south coast is incredible. I hope to go back next year to visit the north coast.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the water
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank VolcanoGroupie
Reviewed June 24, 2011

During an organized bus tour through Iceland, we stayed here during one night.

After all the rooms with just a shower, I enjoyed having a bath tub again! The room was spacious, clean and quiet. With the comfortable bed, I slept really well here. The staff was helpful and friendly. We ate dinner here as a group and we all enjoyed it. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I've had in Iceland.

My only complaint is that the rooms are a bit worn. I've read reviews stating that the bath room is dirty. I think these are water stains which cannot be removed anymore. But it made the bath room look a bit cheap. Also, there's no WiFi in the rooms, but I could borrow a cable from the reception and connect that way to the internet from the room.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank GundamWing101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selfoss
Frost and Fire Hotel
#4 of 8 in Selfoss
Stracta Hotel
Stracta Hotel
#2 of 5 in Hella

Been to Hotel Selfoss? Share your experiences!