All reviewsarctic foxtable tennisone nightfarm animalsminutes' driveping pongnorthern lightsdegree viewfarm hotelwafflesmain buildingcommon roomown bathroomdouble roomnearby attractionsguest housewatch tv
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is the quintessential farmhouse in Iceland. It oozes charm - so much so that I actually stayed an extra day just to soak up all the ambiance. It was just an added bonus that there were James Dean photo decorations seeing as I am from Indiana (this Rebel Without a Cause actor's home state).

Note: I had this farmhouse all to myself during my stay so may have a different charm when shared with other travelers.

Room Tip: I'd suggest the separate smaller house in the "James Dean" bedroom near the main kitchen and living room. Two double beds.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Tiasis
Vatnsholt, Guest Relations Manager at Vatnsholt, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Tiasis,

First of all, we would like to thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your lovely feedback with us, we truly appreciate it!

We are also so happy to read, that you liked our place and enjoyed the stay in its best.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here from one night as we traveled along the ring road. We had an enjoyable stay at Vatnsholt and would not hesitate to stay there again. We had a double room with an ensuite bathroom. The room was simple, a bit on the small size, but clean, comfortable and cozy. As with any B&B style accomodations, the rooms are always more like a guest room in someone's home verses a hotel room, which is exactly what this was like.

Bear in mind there was no television in the room, so if you are a TV junkie, this might not go well for you! Fear not though, the lovely owners and staff provide plenty of entertainment. There are books gallore around the farmhouse to borrow and read during your stay. If you have children there is a trampoline and jungle gym outside. The farm also has plenty of dogs and cute animals (bunnies, cats, even a raven). The night we stayed there they had a showing of a volcano documentary in the common room/restaurant in the main building. There is a lovely restaurant there as well. We did not have a chance to dine there, but heard from other travelers staying there that the food was great.

The hotel is located about 10 minutes drive outside of Selfoss, so it's more of a remote location (afterall it is a farm). It's convenient to the ring road and the surrounding area is beautiful. If you need any tips on what to see while touring Iceland, don't hesitate to ask the staff, they are an enthusiastic wealth of knowledge!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie99

Dear Stephanie99,

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed here one night. Solid place. Nice rooms (quaint). Very quiet. Great large dining area with table tennis tables. Was heavy rain the day and night i was there so i mostly sat in my room and read a book. Didn't have any problems with the service, the staff friendliness nor the food. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robthewasp
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights, as part of an organised tour. The welcome we got was very friendly, although I must say I was a bit disappointed when shown the room. It was basic and rather small, in the long shed building. It was clean, but the bathroom was tiny and I did find it a little inconvenient that there was no wardrobe or chest of drawers, so I lived out of my suitcase. Plenty of hot water each morning for my shower and luckily, I didn't spend very much time in the room (too busy touring!).

The main building/restaurant was very nice. There were a couple of (slightly battered) ping pong tables, which was a bit of fun and the food was very good. Breakfast was a generous buffet, no complaints at all and dinner was limited in choice, but very pleasant. I'm a vegetarian and they had no problems catering for me... actually, the meals were great. The other people on the tour who had the standard food offered on the menu all said it was very good every night. Desserts were heavenly! The main building also had a small sitting area which was comfortable and you could access wifi for free there. I had no problems with it and I did access it every evening.

The farm is very interesting. There were plenty of animals there, including a raven, several dogs, rabbits, kittens, horses, goats... The dogs, goats and kittens were free to roam around the grounds and were all very friendly. I wasn't greatly amused to see the raven being kept in a rather small cage in the barn, however. But it was definitely interesting to see all the animals. The staff were all friendly too, the owners quite willing to chat and they organised a viewing of a DVD about the volcano eruption of 2010 one evening, which was good.

Location wise, the farm isn't in the best place. It's close to Selfoss, but there isn't much there. All the touring we did, it was at least an hour to get to from the farm and sometimes longer. But it was convenient to stay in just one place, rather than having to unpack and repack several times. The journeys were often quite scenic too.

All in all, I was happy with my stay here.

Room Tip: Avoid the long shed building rooms! I heard that the rooms in the farmhouse are very nice, much bigger and have good views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Hazel M

Dear Hazel M,

Reviewed August 16, 2012

After a horrible night in Reykjavik my 3 boys and I stayed here and had an amazing experience. The farm is a real, working farm set on an impossibly gorgeous + picturesque piece of land looking over the water. The room is a little dorm-like, sure; but meticulously neat and clean and comfortable; we slept like dogs. But the owners, Margaret + her husband, are fantastically warm and lovely people who gave us a detailed itinerary of places to see. Two of my boys went for a horse ride right on the farm. The food is first-rate: We had a brilliant dinner of fish and beef carpaccio and they made a special vegetarian dinner for my veggie son, who lapped it up. The included Icelandic breakfast is among the best we had in our 11 days, with a great selection and many home-made breads. The staff is amazing and helpful and friendly; the dogs are a treat. I cannot recommend this wonderful place highly enough and would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: The family room sleeps 4 or 5 and is a great deal!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family